Shure SE215. Are they really worth it?!?! Audiophiles convince me please!!!!!!
Mar 25, 2011 at 2:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

DirtyD916

New Head-Fier
Okay so I am new to the forums, but have always had the audiophile like passion for music. Now that I'm listening to music nearly all day long and think its time to upgrade my equipment to something that I can fully enjoy my music with. With that said I have been really really liking the Shure SE215's. They seem to have the best bang for buck approach with great sound to boot.

So my major question is are the 215's going to be a noticeable improvement from what I use now. I currently have some Philips SHE 9550's I got at Target. Here is a link http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=&q=philips+earbuds&rlz=1B3GGGL_enUS254US261&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=14421954914819650527&sa=X&ei=1jGMTc_4IIP6sAONxNWKCQ&ved=0CEwQ8gIwAw#. Anyways they were only $25 and seem to sound decent enough, but will the Shure's be that much better? I'm using just a regular ipod video (I believe 3rd gen) and the music I listen to is dubstep which is bass heavy focuses on the lows mostly.

Anyways your help is much appreciated and go easy on me because I am completely new to this hobby!

Mar 25, 2011 at 2:29 AM Post #2 of 12
First of all, welcome to the forums.
If you're new to IEMs, I would highly recommend reading through

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/478568/multi-iem-review-156-iems-compared-maike-mk-el5031-sentry-ho642-added-03-24

The beginning of that thread includes some VERY VERY helpful links as to aiding beginners to understand terminology and what not.

I also spent time reading through all 156 reviews multiple times to understand differences between iems, etc.
To be completely honest, I'm also pretty new to this. Good luck

edit: There was also another review, that differentiated the different types of sound (e.g. analytical, bass heavy, etc)

Mar 25, 2011 at 3:33 AM Post #3 of 12
I have owned Monster Turbines, plus Pro Copper and Gold IEM's, Sennheiser IE8, currently own Earsonic's SM3, a pair of Denon AHC-560R and several other IEM's ranging up to $70-80 and while the other higher end IEM's do offer more sonically in certain areas (IE8 with it's big bass and massive sound stage, Coppers with bug bass and sparkling highs, SM3 with unique soundstage, super detailed mids, etc) all usually have wekanesses as well. The SE215 also has a bit of a weakness in it treble (a bit de-emphasized compared to the mids and bass) but other than that, for the price they offer a very solid package with exceptional build quality and design. Unless you are a bass head or love tons of treble I suspect you would find these are very good in comparison to your Phillips IEM. I am not saying it is better then the really expensive IEM's but it does give enough bang for the buck that I am happy with what I am getting. I do believe it at least is a good as the other tope recommendations in it's price bracket as it does compete with IEM's $50-150 over it's price point favorably.

Mar 25, 2011 at 3:38 AM Post #4 of 12
I believe it is customary at this stage to apologize for or to your wallet. So:

Welcome to head-fi. Sorry about your wallet!

Mar 25, 2011 at 4:10 AM Post #6 of 12

Quote:
I believe it is customary at this stage to apologize for or to your wallet. So:

Welcome to head-fi. Sorry about your wallet!

You are so right! I planned on just finding a nice set of IEM's, but now I am eyeing the Cowon s9 as well as a portable amp. Then down the line upgrade the 215's. Boy this is going to get expensive!

Mar 25, 2011 at 9:45 AM Post #7 of 12
start with the SE215, then new player, then amp as the IEM will give you the most bang for your dollar and while my amp does make the SE215 sound better it's not really necessary. Just my 2 cents. The SE215 does have good bass so I think it will satisfy you it just may not be a much as a lower end consumer headphone as most of them are often really over emphasized in that region.

Mar 25, 2011 at 10:32 AM Post #8 of 12
I should have mine today, but I wonder if anyone has heard the TS02 and compared it to the 215? I have to do a review of TS02 soon, but so far I'm really impressed with ThinkSounds' new IEM. Great bass, mids and some nice (although not too sparkly) highs. Soundstage is pretty wide to my ears too (not IE8 wide, but wide). Anyway, wondering before hand how the 215 compares if anyone has heard both? If not, I guess I'll know in a few hours (well actually, knowing the mail service where I work, I probably won't get them until Monday).

Mar 25, 2011 at 5:11 PM Post #10 of 12
Well thanks to head-fi I am now $80 poorer, but will have some sweet sweet IEM's to comfort me!!!! Just saw on guitarcenter that they have a $20 coupon so I decided to pull the trigger and buy them. Ended up going with the clear and am insanely excited!!!! Looks like the start of an addiction.

Mar 25, 2011 at 5:57 PM Post #11 of 12
My 0.02 USD is that there are so many choices in the sub $100 category and many of them offer a better value, i.e. price-to-performance, than the Shure SE215s, that you'd better read through those multi-IEM reviews.

Although, if you are prepared to walk the path of an audiophile, it's not bad to start with one of the older and more reputable companies like Shure to get a flavor of their history and sound philosophy. You will want to climb up their product line, eventually reaching the top, while auditing similar offers from other big companies on the way, at the same time wondering how those sub-$100 value IEMs sound compare, but not before you get the crazy idea of going for customs.....Oh my how I go into rants. Sorry for your wallet

Mar 25, 2011 at 6:08 PM Post #12 of 12
My 0.02 USD is that there are so many choices in the sub $100 category and many of them offer a better value, i.e. price-to-performance, than the Shure SE215s, that you'd better read through those multi-IEM reviews.

I'm curious: what aspects of the SE215 did you find inferior during your audition?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back