Shure KSE1500 Review - Shure KSE1500 Sound Isolating Electrostatic Earphones
Jan 17, 2023 at 2:55 PM Post #5,986 of 6,059
I've been trying different tips lately looking for the most correct tonality.

Shure triple flanges - treble peak removed completely and mids pushed up, but overall downward sloping and warm sig - if you like warm, smooth and relaxing this is good. This is my second recommendation on this list.

Shure grey foams: bass loses some density and heft, peak is toned down (but still a little peaky) - quite good sound, but only if you can get a good seal.. I struggle sealing them properly as the IEMs are so small, I end up constantly fidgeting with them.

Shure yellow foams: a bit too bright, treble peak isn't controlled as well.

Shure silicone: far too bright, treble peak is as per measurements we see.

Spinfits dual flange (with their adapter): sound similar to shure grey foams, but seal much easier, and have a more solid bass.. treble peak is lowered, but its still a touch too much.

Final audio tips (with their adapter): Sound like the Shure triple flanges (smooth, zero peaks) but a little better balanced, not as warm. These are my number 1 recommendation for most balanced tonality. They're very comfortable too - it's an amazing pairing, to have both great comfort and perfect sound/tonality that requires no eq or messing about anymore, paired with electrostatic technicalities... this is why the KSE has the kahoonas to be the best IEM in the world.
I would be interested to hear your opinion on the Etymotic Dual flange tips too, they are my favourite, not entirely for the sound though but certainly for the fit and comfort.

https://www.etymotic.com/product/dual-flange-eartips/

Jan 20, 2023 at 8:27 AM Post #5,987 of 6,059
Hi all. Since last weekend, the left channel of my KSE1500 is giving off a squealing/vinyl scratching/air escaping out of a balloon sound, infrequent and irrespective of using the usb/line out, although it does seem more frequent when I'm in the office or around computers. It still plays music and the right channel is fine. I'm not able to eliminate it by lowering the input gain on the energizer or the volume source. I'm afraid it needs to be replaced, but i bought it used off eBay, so not the OG owner. Any words of wisdom or anyone experience this before? Thanks.

Jan 20, 2023 at 8:40 AM Post #5,988 of 6,059
Hi all. Since last weekend, the left channel of my KSE1500 is giving off a squealing/vinyl scratching/air escaping out of a balloon sound, infrequent and irrespective of using the usb/line out, although it does seem more frequent when I'm in the office or around computers. It still plays music and the right channel is fine. I'm not able to eliminate it by lowering the input gain on the energizer or the volume source. I'm afraid it needs to be replaced, but i bought it used off eBay, so not the OG owner. Any words of wisdom or anyone experience this before? Thanks.
Unfortunately you’ll have to purchase a new pair of earbuds. I haven’t heard of the energizer going bad, but it is possible. You’re best to contact Shure directly to find out how to proceed. There’s no easy or good way to trouble shoot this system. There is a user who broke their earbuds a few posts back. You can scroll back and find that post. He had some useful information posted there.

Good luck.

Jan 20, 2023 at 7:14 PM Post #5,989 of 6,059
Are the KSE1200 still relevant today considering the compeition? The measurements I see all over the place look quite terrible (large mid-dip and huge +10db treble spike around 8-10khz - which i understand can be damped a bit with comply, but not near enough)

For a few years now I've only listened to them EQ'ed to some Harman-esque variant on Oratory and they're unbeatable, IME. Purchased the Monarch Mk-II when they first came out and was prepared to let these go if I preferred, but they're so far ahead on technicalities once you fix the FR it wasn't even close.

Annoying but due to the bulk these are a transportable setup for me anyway, only used attached to my computer driven by Roon w/ PEQ. But yes, the standard FR is problematic, not unlike most electrostats.

Addressing this with eartips is like trying to kill a rhino w/ a bb-gun.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2023 at 7:53 AM Post #5,990 of 6,059
For a few years now I've only listened to them EQ'ed to some Harman-esque variant on Oratory and they're unbeatable, IME. Purchased the Monarch Mk-II when they first came out and was prepared to let these go if I preferred, but they're so far ahead on technicalities once you fix the FR it wasn't even close.

Annoying but due to the bulk these are a transportable setup for me anyway, only used attached to my computer driven by Roon w/ PEQ. But yes, the standard FR is problematic, not unlike most electrostats.

Addressing this with eartips is like trying to kill a rhino w/ a bb-gun.

Agreed - “normal” IEMs just can’t compete anymore, no matter how fancy they are… so much so that my audio nervosa has for the most part been completely resolved. I stopped looking for my next upgrade.

I’d say the frequency issue is 90% addressable with tips - more so than any other iem I’ve used - it’s to do with the tube length and width of the tips - where the peaks/dips get pushed forward to fill in the frequency anomaly. I wrote about it extensively few posts earlier..

I’m very much a measurebator so I was ready to do some EQing, but with the triple flanges and final audio tips the treble peak often seen in measurements has completely disappeared - they sound like a very refined HD650 with plentiful sub bass now. There really is nothing I can think of to EQ like this.

Jan 21, 2023 at 7:55 AM Post #5,991 of 6,059
Agreed - “normal” IEMs just can’t compete anymore, no matter how fancy they are… so much so that my audio nervosa has for the most part been completely resolved. I stopped looking for my next upgrade.

I’d say the frequency issue is 90% addressable with tips - more so than any other iem I’ve used - it’s to do with the tube length and width of the tips - where the peaks/dips get pushed forward to fill in the frequency anomaly. I wrote about it extensively few posts earlier..

I’m very much a measurebator so I was ready to do some EQing, but with the triple flanges and final audio tips the treble peak often seen in measurements has completely disappeared - they sound like a very refined HD650 with plentiful sub bass now. There really is nothing I can think of to EQ like this.
Which final tips do you use?

Jan 21, 2023 at 9:14 AM Post #5,993 of 6,059
I am in the same boat with not looking for upgrades. I think I still want the big 30.7 Magnepan system, but in reality the big Magnepan system would be my secondary system; so then I start to wonder if it makes sense to spend that much money on a secondary system, when I could get most of the effect with some 1.7i's and a couple servo subs.

On the tips, I use the trimmed triple flange, and they sound excellent, I have no need to eq.

Jan 23, 2023 at 12:08 PM Post #5,994 of 6,059
I am in the same boat with not looking for upgrades. I think I still want the big 30.7 Magnepan system, but in reality the big Magnepan system would be my secondary system; so then I start to wonder if it makes sense to spend that much money on a secondary system, when I could get most of the effect with some 1.7i's and a couple servo subs.

On the tips, I use the trimmed triple flange, and they sound excellent, I have no need to eq.

I wouldn’t mind a Quad electrostatic speaker setup :) if the differences with speaker electrostatics are similar to what I hear with the Shures then it might just be worth it.

I have a few speaker setups, but playing the KSE1200 out of Mojo 2 + wyred4sound usb to spdif is just different level. The Shures pickup on tiny improvements downstream and the Mojo 2 combination with Wyred4sound just makes them soar its like a catnip for audiophiles. In a way it re-educated me in terms of what I should be looking for in speaker setups - getting the basics right is key first: room influence is huge and one can spend fortune on speaker but the room will usually mess that up as and studio room treatment is simply not feasible for living rooms. Thus the 2nd best option is DSP room correction, get yourself a pair of Genelec DSP, even iLoud MTMs and don’t worry too much about the “digital” part, they take the room out of the equation and you’re already 80% there ahead of much more costly and fancy setups that don’t correct massive dips and peaks in the response due to room… and every room has them, there’s no escaping.

I used to run Genelec GLM but now use iLoud MTM (at nearfield) and they just sound better corrected than I could ever get larger ATC or Genelex 8050 to sound in my living room - theres an accuracy to the sound and balance that just sounds correctly, much like the kse1200 do (but also at better quality ofcourse)

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2023 at 2:09 PM Post #5,995 of 6,059
I wanted to come to this thread and share how good the Mojo 2 sound with the KSE1200 but it looks like I am late to the party :joy: Set the 3kHz shelf (green) to -3db (orange), use the yellow foams and they sound incredible; more revealing and dynamic than my desktop setup. Anyone else got suggestions to make it sound even better?

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2023 at 2:30 PM Post #5,996 of 6,059
I wanted to come to this thread and share how good the Mojo 2 sound with the KSE1200 but it looks like I am late to the party :joy: Set the 3kHz shelf (green) to -3db (orange), use the yellow foams and they sound incredible; more revealing and dynamic than my desktop setup. Anyone else got suggestions to make it sound even better?
Final audio tips, no eq, and run Mojo 2 on optical via something like Wyred4sound.

Feb 14, 2023 at 2:48 PM Post #5,997 of 6,059
Final audio tips, no eq, and run Mojo 2 on optical via something like Wyred4sound.
You mean these tips? Are you using the mojo as a desktop amp/dac? - I watched Rob Watts from Chord talk about optical being better than usb in a desktop environment.

Feb 14, 2023 at 2:55 PM Post #5,998 of 6,059
You mean these tips? Are you using the mojo as a desktop amp/dac? - I watched Rob Watts from Chord talk about optical being better than usb in a desktop environment.
Yes those tips. Yes Mojo as desktop amp (tiny one). Good optical brings it to a whole different planet it’s unbelievable - essentially endgame territory for many

Feb 27, 2023 at 2:08 PM Post #5,999 of 6,059
Do the kse 1200 suit a particular kind of music, say male vocals, if the are the upper mids?

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2023 at 1:45 PM Post #6,000 of 6,059
I think the KSE 1200 sounds fantastic on everything with the right Dac/Amp but particularly good with Violin. As Emilsoft notes the buds make a huge difference too - I normally find the KSE 1200 a bit screechy and need to pull down the high frequencies a little to listen to music with a lot of vocals. I was sceptical that changing the tips would make much difference but I ended up getting them and don't need to equalise anymore - no more sibilance!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back