Shure KSE1500 Review - Shure KSE1500 Sound Isolating Electrostatic Earphones
Nov 24, 2015 at 8:56 PM Post #721 of 6,059
  I'm looking forward to getting these "bad boys".  Already received my Sliver Dragon Sliver V.3  36" custom cable from Moon Audio to connect my AK 380 External amp "line out" to the Shure electrostatic DAC/amp. I really want the isolation and the Shure "black olives" are very nice and seal very well but honestly 37 dB of isolation... Well I think not!  So Sentronics or Snugs are coming up in my very near future. I don't think they will get 37dB of isolation (not even close) but they will get a lot closer then the black olives could.  Remember every 3 dB is an order of magnitude of power increase!  I suspect I'm going to look like I'm some kinda crazy guy with cables hanging everwhere but I don't really give a crap.  After all it my passion baby!   I think arrival times will vary across the USA somewhere between the 15 of December and early January 2016 is my guess.

BTW: I love those JH Layla's and with the Snugs I'm getting the last little bit of heaven out of them! Honestly they are an incredible IEM.  Even if the Shure proves to be a more resolving earpiece (and I believe it may be).  I'm confident there will always remain sonic qualities that the Layla's will have above and beyond the Shure KSE-1500's and this is probably true for other TOTL (IEM) we all have!

There is never really one solution they are all so beautiful in there own right.  So my theory is keep them both or keep them all and just relax and let the music flow brother...

Happy Thanksgiving to all my friends and God bless...

Sincerely,
Your friend in audio,
-Speed 

so i guess you had success mortgaging your home last week, or did they finally find a taker with the same blood type for your liver :wink:

Nov 24, 2015 at 9:34 PM Post #722 of 6,059

so i guess you had success mortgaging your home last week, or did they finally find a taker with the same blood type for your liver :wink:

LOL and Yup!

Year 1 I started out spending 8k to get the party started.  Now in year two easily more than double that.  I carry the stuff around in my nap sack to / from some of the most dangerous areas in Brooklyn and NYC.  I call it character building (lol).  I've met my share of crazy characters trust me.

With nearly 4 hours of commuting each day, 1.5 miles of walking, 4 subways and almost an hour in the famed LIRR not to mention 10 flights of stairs to transition I'm listening to audio all the time.  If you want someone to really test the limits and practical use of "portable audio gear" then I'm your guy!!!. I consider myself s serious audiophile commuter with more than 25 years of traveling and the same amount of time in the audio arena. I maintain my audio equipment is absolute flawless condition and safely package everthing away day-in and day-out.  

Most times I'm the only person of my color and background on many of these trains with others looking at me like I'm either really lost, a cop, a pilot or just plain crazy!  As with many of us my music is as important as the air we breath.  Audio is in my blood and I'm honored to be part of the digital audio movement (if there is such a thing) 

Sincerely,
Your friend in audio
-Speed 

Nov 25, 2015 at 7:48 AM Post #723 of 6,059
  LOL and Yup!

Year 1 I started out spending 8k to get the party started.  Now in year two easily more than double that.  I carry the stuff around in my nap sack to / from some of the most dangerous areas in Brooklyn and NYC.  I call it character building (lol).  I've met my share of crazy characters trust me.

With nearly 4 hours of commuting each day, 1.5 miles of walking, 4 subways and almost an hour in the famed LIRR not to mention 10 flights of stairs to transition I'm listening to audio all the time.  If you want someone to really test the limits and practical use of "portable audio gear" then I'm your guy!!!. I consider myself s serious audiophile commuter with more than 25 years of traveling and the same amount of time in the audio arena. I maintain my audio equipment is absolute flawless condition and safely package everthing away day-in and day-out.  

Most times I'm the only person of my color and background on many of these trains with others looking at me like I'm either really lost, a cop, a pilot or just plain crazy!  As with many of us my music is as important as the air we breath.  Audio is in my blood and I'm honored to be part of the digital audio movement (if there is such a thing) 

Sincerely,
Your friend in audio
-Speed 

but dont you find the huge amount of money you are paying for things can get lost in translation during your commute to outside noise

i appreciate sound as well but i did not reach the level were i will be able to convince myself to pay more than 1000 usd on anything be it iems or daps

i hope i can maintain my conservative spending and not lose it like what i see happen to many , of course by all means i am sure it amazing to have all these gears to enjoy

Nov 25, 2015 at 7:49 AM Post #724 of 6,059
on another note do u think guys we have among us in these forums some msuicians and bands that are famous and post here

Nov 25, 2015 at 8:10 AM Post #726 of 6,059
There are products that don't get improved upon and are game changers. The original Quad within it's overstated limitations, Linn LP12 if you know what you're doing. You can do it different but not better. I'm not saying this is one of those but it may be and stop the hunt for many. Nothing is for everyone but this could be so for many, to the point where source becomes the bottleneck. One could argue that it's too much for portable for that reason but this presentation could be other level even in that format.

That Shure started this before highend DAPs became available has me think it was originally conceived for professionals but it seems the market has caught up.
smile.gif

Nov 25, 2015 at 8:15 AM Post #727 of 6,059
  LOL and Yup!

As with many of us my music is as important as the air we breath.  Audio is in my blood and I'm honored to be part of the digital audio movement (if there is such a thing) 

Sincerely,
Your friend in audio
-Speed 

Go speedracer, go!

Nov 25, 2015 at 9:27 AM Post #728 of 6,059
  but dont you find the huge amount of money you are paying for things can get lost in translation during your commute to outside noise

i appreciate sound as well but i did not reach the level were i will be able to convince myself to pay more than 1000 usd on anything be it iems or daps

i hope i can maintain my conservative spending and not lose it like what i see happen to many , of course by all means i am sure it amazing to have all these gears to enjoy

hykhleif,

I haven't lost it brother!  As I mentioned my commute is 4 hours per day or 2 hours each way. About an hour and thirty minutes of the commute is quite, calm and peaceful. It's during the transition to the subways where it gets worse. So three hours of four each day is really wonderful if you had to be stuck on a train.  That's 15 hours a week of high quality music for me not including having access to it all day in my office.

Sincerely,
-Speed

Nov 25, 2015 at 10:54 AM Post #729 of 6,059
  hykhleif,

I haven't lost it brother!  As I mentioned my commute is 4 hours per day or 2 hours each way. About an hour and thirty minutes of the commute is quite, calm and peaceful. It's during the transition to the subways where it gets worse. So three hours of four each day is really wonderful if you had to be stuck on a train.  That's 15 hours a week of high quality music for me not including having access to it all day in my office.

Sincerely,
-Speed

now it makes more sense, but really i totally understand your point as music and sound is a chase we will always keep going after

Nov 25, 2015 at 11:15 AM Post #730 of 6,059
  hykhleif,

Sincerely,
-Speed

Maybe your money would be better spent doing something about your terrible commuting situation!

Life is short... I can't imagine spending 4 hours per day getting back and forth, sounds terrible :frowning2:
Where do you work? Can't you live closer to your job?

Nov 25, 2015 at 11:32 AM Post #731 of 6,059
If I had to endure 4 hours commute every day I would immediately buy 2 of these things, just incase one gets stolen I won't be a single day without it until my next backup arrives :wink:  I also imagine this unit is mostly perfect for your situation because of their incredible isolation might really make it truly a whole new level of immersion in the music on the go which is otherwise hard to come by.  Sounds to me like you got your priorities straight here, well except I would probably try to find a job without that sort of commute but that's a whole other story.

Nov 25, 2015 at 2:49 PM Post #732 of 6,059
hykhleif,

Sincerely,
-Speed

Thats 3.6 $/hour in first year for kse1500
Ithink it's not worth it. And in my experience in walking you can't enjoy all of it. I sit everyday and listen to it 4 hours a day almost all of the year so for me it will be 2.1 $/hour if i have it for first year but i'll use it for at least 2 years.
I think it's not for you especially i never can handle dac on walking changing music is really not fun.

Nov 25, 2015 at 4:02 PM Post #733 of 6,059
d
Thats 3.6 $/hour in first year for kse1500
Ithink it's not worth it. And in my experience in walking you can't enjoy all of it. I sit everyday and listen to it 4 hours a day almost all of the year so for me it will be 2.1 $/hour if i have it for first year but i'll use it for at least 2 years.
I think it's not for you especially i never can handle dac on walking changing music is really not fun.

Lol interesting value proposition, but not exactly how I think of it when it comes to audio.  True passions are priceless moments in time....  That said, did you factor into your equation I have the system available to me at work up to 35 hours per week?.  But realistically about half that time I'm jacked in at work so maybe an additional 15 hours per week? I love math-a-magicians and a value propositions...  

Sincerely,
Your friend in audio,
-Speed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back