Shure KSE1500 Review - Shure KSE1500 Sound Isolating Electrostatic Earphones
Apr 22, 2018 at 12:35 PM Post #3,466 of 6,059
So turns out I had a bad micro USB cable. Unit is charging very well now that I have a good USB cable. The silicone tips are utterly worthless. The yellow tips are likewise a disgrace. Triple flange muffle the treble and feel like schiit, at least until you cut them off so they don't go so far into one's ear. The foam were good, though my right ear is very delicate, and I find myself needing to soften the "corner" so that it doesn't cut into my ear skin. Still, long term, I will need to figure out a way to get tips that are more comfortable, because this will not work for more than an hour or two. Certainly not for long flights or train rides.

Out of Bimby, the sound is rich, emotive, and tight. The bass has solidity and weight, without booming. I'm very pleased with the purchase. The fact that this sound is this good and this transportable is a revelation to me: K3003i was good, but this is reference on a whole other level.

Any idea why I unexpectedly, every twenty minutes or so, get a super gross 4-5 seconds of distortion that vaguely sounds like a frequency sweep?
That shouldn't be there sounds like a capacitor discharging. Could be the element itself that is sort of like a large capacitor. If you bought these used, that may be why they were sold. If not, talk to Shure or do so either way.

I got to hear these again at Axpona. They are still in a league of their own if you value neutrality, resolution and coherency. I used HiDef wav files from my QP1r line out and only needed a moment to know how wright they are.

Apr 22, 2018 at 4:09 PM Post #3,467 of 6,059
Apr 23, 2018 at 12:29 AM Post #3,468 of 6,059
I listen to these on a recent meetup and yep....they deliver. Amazing earphone.

Apr 23, 2018 at 9:29 AM Post #3,471 of 6,059
I ventured in here from the FlaresPro/FlaresGold thread, not really interested in another iem, as I have three great ones already between the Massdrop HiFiMan RE00, the Flare R2A, and the newest being the FlaresGold, which is an improvement on the FlaresPro.

I've been writing wondering about Flare getting into Planar or Electrostatic eventually, knowing right now I think only Shure is making electrostatic iems. I've been curious about them since finding out about them sometime last year. As my knowledge in tuning has grown since, I was wondering about the tuning of these compared to say, the FlaresGold.

As a quick overview for comparative purposes, the quantity of bass on them is relatively neutral, forward mids/vocals, detailed treble - though not as harsh as the FlaresPro. I like its detailed treble, has plenty of spacing, again forward mids are important, and a bass that brings dynamic emotion to the music, without being 'bassy' meaning to make just enough warmth to the sound, but no thumps and any deep resonances. Yet not tinny either.

How does the Shure electrostatic iem compare to that with its tuning?

Apr 23, 2018 at 4:54 PM Post #3,472 of 6,059
Have you guys had cable problems with the KSE? On two of them, now (my original unit, and subsequently a warranty replacement), I've had an issue develop, where the sound cuts out based on minor movement at the base of the cable near the connector. I baby the cable (especially the second time, after I had it happen to my first one), always store it properly and ensure that it's free of kinks to the extent I can. The only thing that could have caused it some torque near the connector, from typical use... like walking around, with the KSA amp in my pocket.

Thankfully it's still under warranty, but wondering if I just had bad luck, if this was perhaps a known issue with the first batch of units, or what...

Apr 23, 2018 at 6:29 PM Post #3,473 of 6,059
I ventured in here from the FlaresPro/FlaresGold thread, not really interested in another iem, as I have three great ones already between the Massdrop HiFiMan RE00, the Flare R2A, and the newest being the FlaresGold, which is an improvement on the FlaresPro.

I've been writing wondering about Flare getting into Planar or Electrostatic eventually, knowing right now I think only Shure is making electrostatic iems. I've been curious about them since finding out about them sometime last year. As my knowledge in tuning has grown since, I was wondering about the tuning of these compared to say, the FlaresGold.

As a quick overview for comparative purposes, the quantity of bass on them is relatively neutral, forward mids/vocals, detailed treble - though not as harsh as the FlaresPro. I like its detailed treble, has plenty of spacing, again forward mids are important, and a bass that brings dynamic emotion to the music, without being 'bassy' meaning to make just enough warmth to the sound, but no thumps and any deep resonances. Yet not tinny either.

How does the Shure electrostatic iem compare to that with its tuning?
It's tuning is near perfect for me. Close enough where I don't think about it and just get entranced by the the resolution.

It"s not good because it's electrostatic or planar. It's good because they realized the format's potential where most don't.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2018 at 9:18 PM Post #3,476 of 6,059
Hi goodvibes.

Actually I wasn't wondering if there were any issues with it, but rather what the sound signature is, bass, mids/vocals, treble, etc.

I posted some frequency-response measurements several pages back to show the FR with various ear-tips (in all cases with the built-in EQ off):

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/shu...tatic-earphones.785377/page-207#post-13714398
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/shu...tatic-earphones.785377/page-213#post-13828869

The above are all diffuse-field compensated, like those from Innerfidelity.

Apr 23, 2018 at 9:28 PM Post #3,477 of 6,059
Have you guys had cable problems with the KSE? On two of them, now (my original unit, and subsequently a warranty replacement), I've had an issue develop, where the sound cuts out based on minor movement at the base of the cable near the connector. I baby the cable (especially the second time, after I had it happen to my first one), always store it properly and ensure that it's free of kinks to the extent I can. The only thing that could have caused it some torque near the connector, from typical use... like walking around, with the KSA amp in my pocket.

Thankfully it's still under warranty, but wondering if I just had bad luck, if this was perhaps a known issue with the first batch of units, or what...

My old friend @spook76 (who's sadly no longer with us) had problems like this with his first KSE1500. He said Shure's customer service was excellent though and he said they treated him like royalty. He ended up with a brand new replacement unit and had no issues with that. I've had no issues with mine, but I'm really careful with the cables and I don't wind them up into a tiny box like the one Shure supply. I use one of the larger Pelican (1020) cases and wind them very loosely.

Apr 23, 2018 at 10:27 PM Post #3,478 of 6,059
My old friend @spook76 (who's sadly no longer with us) had problems like this with his first KSE1500. He said Shure's customer service was excellent though and he said they treated him like royalty. He ended up with a brand new replacement unit and had no issues with that. I've had no issues with mine, but I'm really careful with the cables and I don't wind them up into a tiny box like the one Shure supply. I use one of the larger Pelican (1020) cases and wind them very loosely.

Customer service has been great, but then again I'm still under warranty... I worry what it'll cost me if this happens again with my replacement, once it's off warranty. Following my first experience with this issue, I've also used the 1020 case and kept the cable loose and free of kinks (once I got my replacement), so I'm surprised this happened to me again. I walk around with it frequently, so I guess I need to be more conscious about how the cable is positioned as I'm walking. Either that or relegate the KSE to stationary use...

Apr 23, 2018 at 10:33 PM Post #3,479 of 6,059
Customer service has been great, but then again I'm still under warranty... I worry what it'll cost me if this happens again with my replacement, once it's off warranty. Following my first experience with this issue, I've also used the 1020 case and kept the cable loose and free of kinks (once I got my replacement), so I'm surprised this happened to me again. I walk around with it frequently, so I guess I need to be more conscious about how the cable is positioned as I'm walking. Either that or relegate the KSE to stationary use...
I think if you took them jogging or biking with you, you'd be taking a risk. I believe the cables are solid-core.

Apr 23, 2018 at 10:42 PM Post #3,480 of 6,059
I think if you took them jogging or biking with you, you'd be taking a risk. I believe the cables are solid-core.

Yeah that that's the thing though, I didn't. Just walking around with the KSA amp in my pocket. I can't think of any specific incident that would have caused the issue. For example, it's not like the KSA fell off of a table while attached to the headphones, or anything like that. So this must have happened from just walking around. Maybe I just had bad luck. But that's why I wanted to know if others have had this issue or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back