Shure Foamies Don't Fit E4C? Help?
Nov 14, 2008 at 6:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

peasleer

New Head-Fier
I purchased some Shure E4Cs on the cheap recently, and bought a pack of the universal yellow foam sleeves shortly after based on head-fi member recommendations. I got the foamies today, but have a slight problem - the foamies don't seem to fit at all!
confused_face(1).gif

The foam sleeves have a plastic tube inside which the foam is glued onto, which are pretty much exactly the same size as the rod on the E4Cs. I took off the rubber sleeves that came with the IEMs and tried pushing the foamies over the rod, but it was just pushing plastic on plastic, and I got nowhere fast. Am I missing something huge? I watched the guide on the Shure website and I can't for the life of me figure out what is wrong. The yellow foamies are advertised to fit the E4Cs.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Nov 14, 2008 at 6:57 AM Post #2 of 10
There really is no trick to this provided the tube on the foamies have the right size the just pull on. Could it be that your E4C are fakes or that the foamies after all aren't for the E4C ?
I personally like the Shure black olives best with all the iem's I have tried (even mega stretched to fit a Tripple.fi 10).

Nov 14, 2008 at 7:08 AM Post #3 of 10
I don't think they are fake. They look exactly like the reference images Shure provides, and sound good (cheap was ~$100).

It could be that the foamies really aren't made for the E4C... ugh. At least I'm only out $15 if that is the case
smily_headphones1.gif
Thanks for the quick response nc8000!

Nov 14, 2008 at 9:51 AM Post #4 of 10
The yellow foam is for all Shure E/SCL/SE model beside E2/SCL2, AFAIK.

Nov 14, 2008 at 5:32 PM Post #5 of 10
Thanks all for the replies. I looked closer at the reference images from Shure and noticed the E and R on the logo don't overlap on my earphones. I then took them apart and noticed the really ****ty internal build quality.

In short, my earphones were fakes. Amazon marketplace is apparently just as bad as ebay. Sorry for wasting your time!

Nov 14, 2008 at 5:44 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by peasleer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks all for the replies. I looked closer at the reference images from Shure and noticed the E and R on the logo don't overlap on my earphones. I then took them apart and noticed the really ****ty internal build quality.

In short, my earphones were fakes. Amazon marketplace is apparently just as bad as ebay. Sorry for wasting your time!

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. I would have also thought that buying them on Amazon would have been a pretty safe bet. Even though you took them apart, will you still be able to recoup on your losses?

What is the name of the seller on Amazon?....so that others are made aware.

Nov 14, 2008 at 5:52 PM Post #7 of 10
Amazon actually has a great buyer protection program, so I've filed a request and all costs should be recovered
smily_headphones1.gif

The seller is Dansestore - but all e-mail was sent through "eliteproducts," another seller on Amazon. Beware both sellers, I hope no one else runs into the same issues!

Nov 14, 2008 at 6:24 PM Post #8 of 10
Thanks for the info. One of the many great things about Head-Fi is the power of "word of mouth". As a community, we can spread the word about products & companies....whether it be good or bad. We need to be made aware of the scammers & they need to be held accountable.

Hope all goes well with recovering your money!

Nov 14, 2008 at 8:27 PM Post #9 of 10
ouch hard luck, the lettering is a good giveaway, what was so bad about the inside of the earphones exactly, not many of us have seen the insides so dont know whats good or bad. was a balanced armature used or standard dynamics

Nov 14, 2008 at 10:59 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx20001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ouch hard luck, the lettering is a good giveaway, what was so bad about the inside of the earphones exactly, not many of us have seen the insides so dont know whats good or bad. was a balanced armature used or standard dynamics

I was going to offer to take pictures and post a mini-guide in the forums, but it looks like someone has already done it!

How to tell FAKE Shure e4 Series earphones.

This is *exactly* what my fake E4C-n's looked like. The only major external giveaway is the logo on the side of the earphones, and even that can be hard to spot (and impossible when those selling the fakes hide behind stock images). Internally however, the difference is huge. The end doesn't unscrew (you just kind of pull it off, it is glued on), the earphones are hollow except for a tiny flat speaker, and the end piece is all connected, it doesn't separate into pieces like genuine Shure phones. The reason the foamies didn't fit on these is because the nozzle on the fakes has a skinny base and a fatter ring for the sleeves.

Any of those should be a good indicator that the phones are fakes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back