Shure E5c vs. Etymotic ER-4s
Dec 5, 2004 at 7:41 PM Post #16 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by bLue_oNioN
I'm suspecting that the two above who had bass-shy experiences with the E5 were simply pairing it with the wrong source.

from what i've heard about the E5's, the only source that would result in bad bass is an old tennis shoe. despite not having heard the E5's yet, i'm prepared to be less than generous in my opinion of the 2 responses in question. in terms of isolation, i have used the E2c's and E3c's, as well as the ER4S and ER6i, and they all isolate about the same with the same tips in my experience.

Dec 5, 2004 at 8:50 PM Post #18 of 62
Zemo - Great review! I have both phones reviewed and would agree with your assesment. Well done and thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Dec 5, 2004 at 8:59 PM Post #19 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spankypoo
What source/amp did you use for the test?

And the foamies on the Etys apear to have been shortened, and oddly from the rear - any info on that?

I'm pretty sure he is using the NJ3, but I could be wrong...

And the Ety's foam tips were cut by me a while back when I was experimenting with them. They are on loan to Zemo because I'm a nice guy
icon10.gif

Dec 5, 2004 at 9:06 PM Post #20 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thaddy
And the Ety's foam tips were cut by me a while back when I was experimenting with them.

Hmm. Kind of a shame he didn't get to use unmodded tips. I experimented with cutting several pairs of tips up, and found nothing but decreased bass response and isolation no matter what I did (which I know is a different result from the findings of others - all down to ear shape, I guess).

Dec 5, 2004 at 9:08 PM Post #21 of 62
How do you know I didn't include some unmodded tips for the demo?

wink.gif

Dec 5, 2004 at 9:22 PM Post #22 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdipisReks
from what i've heard about the E5's, the only source that would result in bad bass is an old tennis shoe. despite not having heard the E5's yet, i'm prepared to be less than generous in my opinion of the 2 responses in question. in terms of isolation, i have used the E2c's and E3c's, as well as the ER4S and ER6i, and they all isolate about the same with the same tips in my experience.

Having had personal experience with the E5s, I will tell you that source does matter. Specific combinations will give you different levels of bass, ranging from the anemic to the headache-inducing. I know this because I was initially disappointed with what I was receiving out of my Echo Indigo and began to question my investment. It was only until I moved to a different source that I was in full awe of what the E5s are capable of.

Dec 5, 2004 at 10:11 PM Post #23 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmopragma
Thanks for your efforts, Zemo.
I've just downloaded the files linked to your " How to REALLY listen to music " guide and I see that you've already applied MP3Gain.
Any idea why some of the tracks are clipping?

mp3 gain was never applied, and the tracks should NOT be clipping....they definetly wern't when I was listening to them last night...what settings were you using?

Quote:

what source were you using?

Mina.

A Nomad Jukebox 3, a Nomad Jukebox Zen, and, for a bit of fun, my modded Emu 0404 through a maxed out Cmoy.
Quote:

A few questions about the Shure's:

Does it use filters? I hate the idea of having to replace fiters every few months.
Also isn't it possible to put ety triflange tips on the E5c's? I have heard that the ety flanges are better in almost everyway, and I am pretty sure that you can put them on E5c's. This may be a factor in the seal that you get.

It doesn't use filters! Also, it comes with triflange tips, which I don't enjoy. I prefer the smallest grey flex sleeves.

Regarding iBug's statements, I of course, don't agree. I think once you find the proper source, and get the proper seal, they isolate very well, and sound amazing!

-Z

Dec 5, 2004 at 10:39 PM Post #24 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zemo
All in all, these are two sets of awesome cans! I gotta hand the crown for the best sub $500 in ear monitor to the Shure E5c's though. The slicker design, bigger bass, and better soundstaging win over the Ety's higher resolution. In fact, after groovin' the shure's for a while, the ety's highs sound almost painfully sharp.

Zemo --

After using the Shures, the Etymotics' treble will indeed sound sharper. But...
After using the Etymotics, the Shures' treble will sound dull in comparison.

So how can you use that as a way of substantiating the Shure's supremacy?

The only way I would accept that argument is if you stated the following:

- The Etymotics' treble sounds sharp after listening to the Shures
- The Shures treble sounds dull after listening to the Etymotics
- The change from the Shures -> Etymotics was X (for the worst)
- The change from the Etymotics -> Shures was < X (again, for the worst)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
.·. The Shures' treble is better than that of the Etymotics (in your opinion)

The above logical argument would substantiate your point of view.
Not making it right, of course, but it would remove your contradictions.

Ergo, by stating only one side of the argument, you give us nothing to compare.
If you presented both sides and stated that the Etymotics performed worse...
The we would have a comparison and, thus, could pass judgment above.

But you fail to do so -- as others have found elsewhere, creating ambiguity.
Please be more thorough with your arguments so we can understand you.

This is not a personal attack, just a reminder for future reviews.
smily_headphones1.gif

Even though I respect your opinion, I disagree with you wholeheartedly.
wink.gif

BANGPOD

Dec 5, 2004 at 11:06 PM Post #25 of 62
About good seal in Shure, I got a good seal once at home after trying like 5 minutes with 3 flange. But outside it's not that easy to do all that weird stuff to get a good seal. It's just too much work. With Etty it's easy to get a good seal with both 3 flange and foam and I prefer foam since they add a little bit of attenuation. Anyway, even with that good seal the bass didn't seem that appealing to me. And I don't find the bass of Etty shy at all with a really good seal. Ok, it's not head blowing but it's definitely there and the real bass is felt with your bones, not with your ear. So I don't expect to get a bass from something really that small at all. Anyway, forget the bass, about the treble, check out this graph. Shure doesn't have it on their website but the picture tells everything.

http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCom...Type=0&graphID[]=495&graphID[]=471

Shure drops quite fast after 1 Khz. Are you kidding me? The most important stuff is between 1 and 4 Khz and all the detail lies in 12-18 Khz which shure doesn't give at all. With all that bass, what are you going to listen to? A bass solo maybe. What Etty does is fair to my ears after listening to my 6000$ Hi-Fi. It sounds almost identical. With Shure I listened to like 10 different music types and none of them did sound right to me. It can't be with all that treble missing.

I didn't return them yet, I'm waiting for a return code from them by email, I'll ship it when I get it. If you listen to classical, if you can't hear the trombones, trompets, the violins, the cymbals, you can't just enjoy it. It's really weird to sell that earphone for 500$. Etty sells for 200$ now with 4P>4S converter cable for 65, you get ER-4S for 265$.

Dec 6, 2004 at 12:47 AM Post #29 of 62
Now all that needs to be done is to have a detailed Tete a Tete with the Westone Um2's. Comply tips that are packaged with the westones are supposed to be better interms of isolation AND comfort.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back