Shure E500's Now Shipping
Jul 27, 2006 at 10:46 PM Post #16 of 57
Maybe it's just us here in Western NY ;p

I've been bothering mine for longer than that...ever since the orginal May date was missed I've been complaining about it to her. That may sound bad, but I really don't complain about anything else, haha.

Weren't you trying to get your wife into the Head-Fi spirit? I tried a bit with the girlfriend, but overall was unsuccessful. She actually defends me paying $400 for a pair of headphones, though, which is pretty cool. She was telling people that she'd tried some of the cans I've had and that she really could hear a difference. I guess that's all I can ask for
wink.gif

Jul 27, 2006 at 11:03 PM Post #19 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisfromalbany
Where are Todd's orders?

he got notice from shure that they shipped something to him (on tuesday i think). but they have not arrived as of 10 minutes ago (6:50 pm east coast).

as soon as they do he will get them out the door.

Jul 27, 2006 at 11:13 PM Post #20 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Flavio T
P.S. s2k, your order will actually ship next Tuesday (Aug. 1st).

great service and support, you even know it's me
eek.gif
eek.gif

will send paypal in 1 day or 2, still awaiting some payment to arrive, never expect it could be so fast
cool.gif
cool.gif

my um2 will be for sale next week
tongue.gif

Jul 27, 2006 at 11:25 PM Post #21 of 57
Hi fierce_freak,

I am right now listening to some smooth jazz using the E500 with the Westone ComplyTips.

I started with the sleeves that came with the E500 but frankly, in my case, the ComplyTips are unbeatable because they seal but without the vacuum feeling which often makes me a bit dizzy.

I'm not an audiophile (I think -- I do own a Manley pre-amp integrated, Snell speakers, Lexicon amplifier and pre and some other stuff which IMHO was expensive, but I know many guys here have much more $ invested in cables alone
smily_headphones1.gif
) and I don't read response curves, which I have been told are of less importance with in-ear earphones since your ear canal acts as a speaker cabinet and everybody's ear canal is different, so excuse my humble opinions here. They are merely empirical and not technical.

The E500 has definetely more definition than the UM2. I'm sorry if I can't describe it correctly. The E4 had a lot of definition but it was just too crispy. Even harsh with some songs which some would perceive as bass shy. The E500 has definition, especially on the mids, which the E5c did not. Matt had explained to me when we first tested the E500 at Shure that the E5c had lots of low and high because that's usually what the musician needs on stage. The E500 is a much better performer than the E5c.

The comfort and fit is comparable to the UM2 with an edge to the E500 because where the cables bend and touch your ears is not felt as it is with the UM2. The earpieces are extremelly light. The cable is also very light. I was always a fan of light cables. I don't think they have to be heavy and thick to be good. Westone proved that. With the Etys it's different as you can say the cables are light AND fragile and give a lot of microphonics.

Using the ComplyTips with the E500 I get NO microphonics from the cable. If you are chewing ice, than in my case, it's a thunder inside the head, no matter which earphones you are using.

Because of your question, I just popped the UM2 in. Man, do I love the UM2?

I will say by running this 2 minute test, the UM2 has a stronger bass and the E500 has more detail on the mid range. The UM2 is also more efficient but I think I'm enjoying the sound of the E500 more.

Sorry but between switching earphones which take almost a minute, it's hard to do a good comparison.

I have 2 iPod shuffles and I will play the same song with both earphones plugged in tomorrow.

I will let you know.

Jul 28, 2006 at 12:11 AM Post #23 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by fierce_freak
Maybe it's just us here in Western NY ;p

I've been bothering mine for longer than that...ever since the orginal May date was missed I've been complaining about it to her. That may sound bad, but I really don't complain about anything else, haha.

Weren't you trying to get your wife into the Head-Fi spirit? I tried a bit with the girlfriend, but overall was unsuccessful. She actually defends me paying $400 for a pair of headphones, though, which is pretty cool. She was telling people that she'd tried some of the cans I've had and that she really could hear a difference. I guess that's all I can ask for
wink.gif

My wife supports all of my Head-Fi pursuits. Why this is I have no idea, but my wife and your girl should both be nominated for sainthood. Let's face it,though- there are far worse things we could be into. Earlier this year,I really tried to convert Marilyn to audiophile status. Set het up with Grado SR 325i's,a Portaphile amp...but it was a big no-go. She's just not into music like I am. I was actually a music major at SUNY Fredonia my freshman year which was actually 20 years ago this Fall. I played a mean sax, but I wanted to be a professional musician, not a teacher, and truth be told I just wasn't good enough.
And thanks for the impressions,Flavio!

Jul 28, 2006 at 12:27 AM Post #24 of 57
I miss playing the bassoon (i quit in 11th grade, though, as i just wasn't being challenged enough). My gf's definitely into music ("forced" me to take a 7 hour one way road trip to see one of her favorite bands), but she just doesn't care for headphones much, I guess. Even open ones would make her feel like she wasn't a part of whatever was going on around her. I'm also lucky in that she tolerates my musical choices quite well and even likes some of it every once in a while (a lot of the time i'm listening to some extreme metal or hardcore)

Jul 28, 2006 at 2:33 AM Post #26 of 57
Quote:

The UM2 is also more efficient but I think I'm enjoying the sound of the E500 more.

I am guessing by that statement you are saying the e500 need more volume to sound as loud as the UM2s. The UE-10s need less volume to sound at the same level as the UM2s.. Interesting..

Jul 28, 2006 at 7:17 AM Post #28 of 57
Hi Flavio,

I am considering the E500. Some previous posts led me to believe that the sound balance is a bit dark. I don't like the Senn 650 because the balance is dark. I prefer a brighter sound balance -- with air, definition, liveliness, and sheen. What is your opinion of the overall balance of the E500? --Les

Quote:

Hi fierce_freak,

...The E500 has definetely more definition than the UM2. I'm sorry if I can't describe it correctly. The E4 had a lot of definition but it was just too crispy. Even harsh with some songs which some would perceive as bass shy. The E500 has definition, especially on the mids, which the E5c did not. Matt had explained to me when we first tested the E500 at Shure that the E5c had lots of low and high because that's usually what the musician needs on stage. The E500 is a much better performer than the E5c...

Jul 28, 2006 at 3:29 PM Post #29 of 57
Quote:

Hi fierce_freak,

I am right now listening to some smooth jazz using the E500 with the Westone ComplyTips.

I started with the sleeves that came with the E500 but frankly, in my case, the ComplyTips are unbeatable because they seal but without the vacuum feeling which often makes me a bit dizzy.

I'm not an audiophile (I think -- I do own a Manley pre-amp integrated, Snell speakers, Lexicon amplifier and pre and some other stuff which IMHO was expensive, but I know many guys here have much more $ invested in cables alone
smily_headphones1.gif
) and I don't read response curves, which I have been told are of less importance with in-ear earphones since your ear canal acts as a speaker cabinet and everybody's ear canal is different, so excuse my humble opinions here. They are merely empirical and not technical.

The E500 has definetely more definition than the UM2. I'm sorry if I can't describe it correctly. The E4 had a lot of definition but it was just too crispy. Even harsh with some songs which some would perceive as bass shy. The E500 has definition, especially on the mids, which the E5c did not. Matt had explained to me when we first tested the E500 at Shure that the E5c had lots of low and high because that's usually what the musician needs on stage. The E500 is a much better performer than the E5c.

The comfort and fit is comparable to the UM2 with an edge to the E500 because where the cables bend and touch your ears is not felt as it is with the UM2. The earpieces are extremelly light. The cable is also very light. I was always a fan of light cables. I don't think they have to be heavy and thick to be good. Westone proved that. With the Etys it's different as you can say the cables are light AND fragile and give a lot of microphonics.

Using the ComplyTips with the E500 I get NO microphonics from the cable. If you are chewing ice, than in my case, it's a thunder inside the head, no matter which earphones you are using.

Because of your question, I just popped the UM2 in. Man, do I love the UM2?

I will say by running this 2 minute test, the UM2 has a stronger bass and the E500 has more detail on the mid range. The UM2 is also more efficient but I think I'm enjoying the sound of the E500 more.

Sorry but between switching earphones which take almost a minute, it's hard to do a good comparison.

I have 2 iPod shuffles and I will play the same song with both earphones plugged in tomorrow.

I will let you know.

Interesting review Flavio, thanks!

I'm probably in the same camp (although I've yet to receive my E500's) I have a very soft spot for the signature sound of the UM2... the bass is tight and goes fairly deep and the vocals are pushed forward which I really prefer.

I think the impressions will change however once others that have nice portable amps get their E500's. The UM2's benefit very little from an amp (with the exception of the Hornet) but Shure's have in the past benefited a great deal from a good little amp (I know my E4C did from a SM3) so that may make a big difference in the impressions of the E500... amped vs. unamped.

Jul 28, 2006 at 4:24 PM Post #30 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Headphoner
Hi Flavio,

I prefer a brighter sound balance -- with air, definition, liveliness, and sheen. What is your opinion of the overall balance of the E500? --Les

Those are preciselly the words that come to my mind: air, definition, liveliness, and sheen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back