Shure E500 Build Quality?
Apr 28, 2006 at 1:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Zuerst

Headphoneus Supremus
I have owned all the current line of IEMs from Shure and found all a bit cosmeticly flawed.

I'm planing on getting the E500 but will it improve on this aspect? This pic of E500 seems to suggest otherwise but hopfully it's just a prototype and the real production one would be a little better?

E500_03.jpg

Apr 28, 2006 at 1:52 AM Post #3 of 8
Actually, I think they feel very comfy, and certainly not anything that would fall apart, but who knows. The ER4's are made of plastic and don't look breakable, but we hear about them breaking all the time.

Apr 28, 2006 at 2:09 AM Post #4 of 8
From what I understand, the E500 prototypes were not made of the same material the production models will be due to some sort of manufacturing delays or the like (i.e. they wanted to have people hear them, even though the casings weren't ready). So I would not expect the production E500's to exhibit such problems, I really doubt they'd be shipped out if they did.

Apr 28, 2006 at 7:00 AM Post #5 of 8
The production ones will be vacuum metalized plastic. Only the E4 has metal in the outer casing.

The E500 pictured above is of the early prototypes. They were used and abused at a lot of trade shows, and are definitely not indicative of the final product. The latest pre-production models Shure had at the National Meet were different. The stems were the ear pieces go had a flange on them for better fit of the ear pieces.

And with all the handling they all looked intact, unlike the very first prototypes like the ones I saw at CES. Of course, we are not like the general public, as we are much more careful with our gear.

-Ed

Apr 28, 2006 at 8:37 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by fureshi
do the stems swivel for a better fit? kinda seems like they do from the pic but very hard to tell. i'm assuming that they don't.

If the stems swivel it would most likely need some type of sealant/lubricant to obtain the seal needed for theses type of IEM drivers. That would get really messy and seems unlikely and thus I don't think they'll be able to swivel.

Apr 28, 2006 at 9:07 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by fureshi
do the stems swivel for a better fit? kinda seems like they do from the pic but very hard to tell. i'm assuming that they don't.

I don't remember them swiveling. I don't remember what they were made of either... wasn't it plastic? I wasn't impressed with the build of the ones they had there though. Hopefully they'll fix that up a bit.

And if they were metal, wouldn't that totally screw things up in the winter? I like my outdoor headphones to be good for all seasons... and Metal ones would freeze in my ears!

Edit: It should be noted that my E2c's developed cracks so fast it wasn't even funny. Those things were not built well at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back