Shure E4C - Reviews, Opinions & Ramblings Thread
May 23, 2005 at 7:14 PM Post #136 of 370
Quote:

Originally Posted by rbilsbor
Well since "ramblings" is part of the title of this thread, let me me ask about this: I was a brief E3c owner and the reason it got returned was the sound--specifically the midrange--that everyone has discussed ad naseum. But a smaller thing I didn't like about it was the size of the components--not the earbuds, but the cable itself I thought was too large in diameter, the Y-connector way too bulky, and even the right-angle plug was oversized. From what I can see from various E4/c pictures those components are the same. Has this bothered anyone else? For me they were just too stiff and heavy to be attached to a canalphone (especially if you ever go jogging or workout with them). Thoughts?

They just seem high quality and durable to me. Certainly not a problem, in my opinion.

I'm surprised people are complaining about the treble on these. The karma certainly isn't a bright source, and I think these have plenty of treble. Too much more and they would be bright and fatiguing, imo. And I like the er6i's and ksc35's - it's not like I'm a huge fan of the shure house sound (I'm not). I haven't even stopped listening to these long enough to compare to my other canalphones yet.

May 24, 2005 at 12:01 AM Post #137 of 370
Just got mine a couple of hours ago.

In relation to the Ety ER4p/s, initial impressions (granted my ears are still relatively new to this stuff)

Pros
- Full bodied sound, they do in fact have quite a bit more bass + midrange. Things definitely are more rocking. I have to eq in about 8 db of bass and a few dbs throughout the midrange on the Etys to match this.
- More ambiance/air/decay, more organic sound
- Lack of that upper midrange harshness, smooth sound

Cons
- somewhat less detail throughout
- more compressed soundstage, less 3d sound (feel like I'm in a small wooden with these... the Etys are like a somewhat larger aluminum room, if that makes any sense)
- sloppier, complex bass laden passages can get mushy relative to the Etys

BTW, I really like what the 75 ohm adaptor does for these. But I don't really want to comment further without more listening/burnin.

May 24, 2005 at 12:16 AM Post #138 of 370
Quote:

Originally Posted by bobeau

In relation to the Ety ER4p/s, initial impressions (granted my ears are still relatively new to this stuff)

Pros
- Full bodied sound, they do in fact have quite a bit more bass + midrange. Things definitely are more rocking. I have to eq in about 10 db of bass and a few dbs throughout the midrange on the Etys to match this.
- More ambiance/air/decay, more organic sound
- Lack of that upper midrange harshness, smooth sound

Cons
- somewhat less detail throughout
- more compressed soundstage
- sloppier, complex bass laden passages can get mushy relative to the Etys

BTW, I really like what the 75 ohm adaptor does for these. But I don't really want to comment further without more listening/burnin.

hello,

I hate armchair analysts who prefer to depend on reviews rather than trust thier own ears.

I cannot believe this character was making comments in the other Shure E4 thread yet without the benefit of even hearing them before he started typing.

May 24, 2005 at 12:21 AM Post #139 of 370
Quote:

Originally Posted by hawkfire
hello,
I hate armchair analysts who prefer to depend on reviews rather than trust thier own ears.

I cannot believe this character was making comments in the other Shure E4 thread yet without the benefit of even hearing them before he started typing.

rolleyes.gif

Excuse me?

I wasn't giving impressions in that thread, simply relaying what I felt were other's points of view - what they were expecting this product to do/be.

Get a sense of context, will ya?

May 24, 2005 at 12:40 AM Post #140 of 370
Quote:

hello,

Wow, I did not know we had a review police in this forum. Lighten up will ya?

May 24, 2005 at 12:42 AM Post #142 of 370
Quote:

Originally Posted by rbilsbor
But a smaller thing I didn't like about it was the size of the components--not the earbuds, but the cable itself I thought was too large in diameter, the Y-connector way too bulky, and even the right-angle plug was oversized. From what I can see from various E4/c pictures those components are the same. Has this bothered anyone else?

Yeah, when I first got my E3c I just thought wow, the cable is certainly thick and the plug overwhelmed my iPod Mini visually. But I soon got used to the more industrial aesthetic and actually prefer the thicker cables which are not microphonic and rarely ever gets tangled (one of my major pet peeves with thin cables). The Y connector and plug are just VERY solidly built and will withstand much more abuse on the road...these are mostly for portable use afterall. Now that I have E4c I think it really benefits from the lighter color cable and plug which makes them less visually imposing relative to the E3c.

May 24, 2005 at 12:46 AM Post #143 of 370
Quote:

hello,

I have a very good sense of context, but why people even bother to post an opinion without having even heard or tried the earphones they are commenting about is beyond me.

Taken to PM.

May 24, 2005 at 8:34 AM Post #144 of 370
Quote:

hello,

Quote:

I believe your interpretation is mistaken.
If I had just received a pair of new phones they would be playing within seconds of unpacking
icon10.gif

Setmenu

May 24, 2005 at 9:25 AM Post #145 of 370
hello,

I wasnt mistaken.

bobeau was making posts about the E4 about 6 hours before in another thread.

Then he came back and posted he just got them.

That's where my comment was directed towards.

May 24, 2005 at 10:35 AM Post #147 of 370
Quote:

Pros
- More ambiance/air
Cons
- more compressed soundstage, less 3d sound (feel like I'm in a small wooden with these... the Etys are like a somewhat larger aluminum room, if that makes any sense)

Could you please elaborate on these two points?

May 24, 2005 at 3:52 PM Post #148 of 370
Helluva lot of useful information on this site. Thanks to all.

So I'm getting ready to order a set of E4's from earphone solutions. They will sell the E4 (black) for $198 plus shipping and I had an email from rep saying availability is "about mid-June to July." Anyone found a better price from a reputable dealer on the E4?

May 24, 2005 at 4:39 PM Post #149 of 370
I received my e4c's last week and have been using them on and off over the weekend. about 5 hours accumulatively. Another 4 hours thus far on the commute to and from work.

Have to say the high and midrange is adequate and clear. The lows are ok. Definitely arent in the same ballpark with my e5c's in terms of bass.

With the e5c's you can really hear the finer details in the music. the e4c's would just play enough for you to notice something you didnt hear earlier.

the e4c's are a solid set of earphones. They will make shure a heap loads of money, that is for sure.
580smile.gif

May 24, 2005 at 5:00 PM Post #150 of 370
Quote:

Originally Posted by bLue_oNioN
Could you please elaborate on these two points?

Sure. First off that analogy I used is poor (incorrect) - it's more like the Shures are in a larger room, but the performers are closer to me and to each other. For instance, backing vocals don't seem to have as much distance from the singer, instrument separation doesn't seem as great. But then there's more reverb, more decay in the notes. It's a more organic, cohesive whole. Less analytical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back