shure e4c or etymotic er6i
May 23, 2005 at 8:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

pb8185

New Head-Fier
Hi all, my first post. I have the shure e3c, and I love it... until my friend broke it... he dropped it while listening to it then as he tried to look down to find it, ran it over with the wheels of my chair.
frown.gif
the head piece broke, though no the driver (just the top part) I've glued it together but it's just not the same... he promised to give me 100 bucks towards whatever new one I'm gonna get.. so here comes the delimma, I don't know if I should stay with the 3c (probably not) go with the improved e4c (heard some good reviews) or go with the er6i (what I was torn between with the e3c) Can anyone help me?

May 23, 2005 at 9:35 AM Post #2 of 8
Hi pb8185,

IMHO, if you like the sound signature of Shure, why don't you stick with the same brand?

I have yet to audition an Etymotic canalphone (but the wait won't be long, hehe...) but I loved the E3c, now I own the E5c. Straight out of an iPod E3c is hard to beat for the value...

What kind of music do you often listen to? Maybe more information will help others make suggestions...

Welcome to Head-fi, sorry about your wallet
very_evil_smiley.gif

Overlunge

May 23, 2005 at 9:59 AM Post #3 of 8
The E3c and ER6i have very different sound characters. I have er6i now and had e3c in the past. For me, I like er6i more because of its' clean sound. E3c is too sweet for me, but the two canalphones are all good choices. My suggest is that if you want sound clean, detailed and tight bass just go for er6i, if you need something sweeter and like vocals or pop, maybe e3c is better for you..
plainface.gif

May 23, 2005 at 7:26 PM Post #4 of 8
hey, thnx... I listen to a lot of trance/house techno... metal... and um... hippy music like jack johnson
smily_headphones1.gif
... and r&b and rap... sometimes but not often... I'm all over the place :/

May 23, 2005 at 8:01 PM Post #5 of 8
I have both the e4c and er6i, and they are both very good headphones. Of all the shure headphones I've heard (e2c, e3c, and e4c), the e4c's are the most similar to the er6i's. The treble on both seems to be comparable, but there is more bass on the e4c's. The bass of the er6i's is slightly tighter, but overall the e4c's are fuller sounding. If you like the e3c's, I'd say go for the e4c's. However, I don't think you'd regret getting the er6i's either. Without eq'ing up the bass, they sound a bit anemic to me, but with proper eq'ing I think they're great. But, I own both, and I plan to sell the er6i.

May 23, 2005 at 9:39 PM Post #6 of 8
I own both the er6i and e4c and previously had e3c.
I second what Jmmmmm said.
Bottom line I too am selling my er6i's.
I also noticed you mentioned you listen to metal...Metallica sounds great with e4c and anemic with er6i.

May 23, 2005 at 10:07 PM Post #7 of 8
I own the E2c, E3c, E5, and ER6i. I like the ER6i from time to time, but to be honest, my Shures (E3 & E5) see the most play time. If you are a big buff of classical, chamber music etc... then the ER6i are a very good choice due to the signature Etymotic high end resolution. But... if you want something that can do it all, go with the E3, E4(havent heard this yet), or E5. They do an acceptable job on the afor mentioned types of music, but really excel for things like rock, trance, electro, etc... Depends on what you want it for really. Btw, anyone want to lend me thier E4's for an audition
wink.gif
Take care,

May 23, 2005 at 11:10 PM Post #8 of 8
Do not get the ER6i. After listening to the E3s you'll find the Er6i to sound thin in the bass and the mids with most music. The ER6is sound good too, but for most types of music I find the E3s to sound much better, even against the Er4. The Etys do sound a little cleaner and more detailed, but thin. The shures are better suited to modern music IMO (pop, techno, rock, rap....). The etys are suited more to music like classical, and jazz. The shures will give you a more enjoyable still clean and detailed sound. If I was you however I would go straight into the E5c, and if the price is too much into the E4c. You could also wait to see how the new UE Superfis perform.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back