Shure e3c Thoughts and Questions
Apr 1, 2004 at 2:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

BranMuffins

Head-Fier
I am a relative newbie to high end headphones and I have been lurking around these forums for awhile now.

I recently got a pair of e3c's after reading tons of reviews and thoughts about different isolating headphones in these forums and around the internet. I had never used a canal phone before and I absolutely love the isolation and to some extent the sound. While I find the bass to be lacking a bit, it’s not that big a deal to me.

The biggest problem I have with the e3c's is that I can’t decide if they are really worth the money. They sound great, except for a bit of the muddiness of the bass, they fit great, but I just feel like something is missing. So I guess what I am wondering is if I "upgrade" to the ety ER-4P/S will it be worth the extra money or if I downgrade to either the ER-6 or the e2c will I notice that much difference.

I really think I want to stay with a canalphone because of the isolation and the portability, but if I could be better served by a sealed headphone (<$250) I am open to suggestions. Really what I need is something that I can listen to around campus but also that will given me decent sound on an airplane without a lot of leakage.

Also the other sort of related question I have has to do with the e3c's. When listening to some music it sounds like there is a slight echo to some of the vocals. At first I thought it might have been caused by a problem with the stereo but it happens even in mono recordings and also when vocals are only on one channel of the stereo. I tried to search the forums for this but the search appears to be disabled.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions.

.chris

Apr 1, 2004 at 2:58 AM Post #2 of 6
i'm staying outta this one until i hear the etys for myself. sorry muffins. welcome to headfi. don't worry, you'll get plenty of helpful responses soon enough.

i would strongly advise however, if this is really primarily an issue about the value YOU are getting out of your purchase, that you try not to search for other people's opinions on this. Only you can decide for yourself if what you paid, was money well spent. good luck.

Apr 1, 2004 at 3:40 AM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally posted by toaster22
i would strongly advise however, if this is really primarily an issue about the value YOU are getting out of your purchase, that you try not to search for other people's opinions on this. Only you can decide for yourself if what you paid, was money well spent. good luck.

I definatly understand what you are saying especially in light of the other debate going on around here. what I was really looking for is someone who went from e3c's to ER-4p's and what they thought. Everything that I have read seems to point to the fact that I would be happy with e5's but I simply cannot spring for those right now. So Im just wondering if I should go for the ER-4P or downgrade until I can spring for the e5s or perhaps even something nicer.

.chris

Apr 1, 2004 at 4:32 AM Post #4 of 6
Which sleeves are you using with the E3c? The echo or ringing effect is something I experienced with the grey soft sleeves and switching to the clear medium sleeves got rid of that not to mention gave the best overall sound for me. I suggest you fiddle around with the different sleeves a bit since it can take some time to find the one that suits you best.

Apr 1, 2004 at 4:37 AM Post #5 of 6
I have tried both the e3c and the ER4. I was in exactly the same situation as yourself. I had bought the e3c but didn't think they were quite worth the money and I was very curious about what the highly regarded Etymotics sounded like. So I returned them for the ER4. What a difference!

The sound quality of the Etys is better in all respects. The Etys sound like someone lifted a pillow off the E3cs. You can finally hear detail. And it sounds wonderful and balanced.

The best thing you can do in this situation (in my opinion) is to give back the e3c's and get the ER4's. You will not regret it.

Apr 1, 2004 at 5:14 AM Post #6 of 6
If oyu have a return policy from your vendor then I would take a chance and swap the SHures for the Etys. If the E4 does not do it for you, then I would say go with the ER-6 and save up for the E5. The E5 seems to be the one that finally brings satisfaction to the canalphone junkies in here (save for Welly and lindrone
evil_smiley.gif
). I went looking for something a little spicier than the Er-4P and found it in the E5, although I still keep the 4P around for certain situations. Some other new E5 owners here (toaster22) would not trade their new babies for the world.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back