shure e3 vs etymotic 6i vs anything?
Dec 26, 2007 at 5:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

mike390

New Head-Fier
im looking at getting a pair of shure e3s for $120 or etymotic 6i for $85
which is more worth it and why? also are there any better ones i could get within that price range? (up to 150) looking for in- ear kinds... I listen to rock, club, emo etc. that kind of thing.

also i heard the e3s werent too good for bass, is there any other ones that would be in the price range and quality level with good bass as well?

Dec 26, 2007 at 5:39 AM Post #5 of 10
the price i gave includes shipping
wink.gif
im just not sure yet because ive heard things about the bass..

Dec 26, 2007 at 6:06 AM Post #6 of 10
If you're planning on using E3's with an unamped, not very EQ'able iPod, I'd gently but firmly try to steer you away from those particular Shures. Not a good value, even at your price, and a poor match (IMO) with iPods and many other players on a "flat" (non EQ'd) setting.

I went from Ety ER6's to Shure E3's ... and eventually back to Ety, with the ER6i's -- much less money, more comfortable (I use foamies, which I highly recommend) and more pleasing to my ears (of course, YMMV).

Dec 26, 2007 at 6:55 AM Post #8 of 10
Well, an amp could very well help ... I don't use one, so I can't say for sure.

I still prefer the Ety for various reasons, including clarity, tiny size, and the cords that run out of the ears, rather than up and over ... of course, if microphonics while active will be a problem, the Shures do have less microphonics.

Dec 26, 2007 at 10:18 AM Post #10 of 10
If you want bass, forget about both ER6is and SF3s. I used them with iPod Nano and I couldn't hear any lows. Also with iriver T30 bass was poor.
What is more, I find ER6is to be a bit uncomfortable, also microphononics was killing me (to minimalize this effect you have to bother with shirt clip).
E3s were my first IEMs and because of that I kind of like them. They have problem with bass, but it isn't so bad after all, especially with amp. Overall every single armature driver IEMs I've heard (ER6i, SF3, E3, SE210, UM1) couldn't produce deep bass.
Among above mentioned IEMs the best IMO are UM1s. They have the best bass, they are the best for rock and club music, they are most comfortable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back