Shure E2c Tri-Flange - How Comfortable Compared to Supplied Fit Kit?
Jul 30, 2005 at 5:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

swmtnbiker

Previously known as dpippel
OK, so I've decided to stick with an IEM for my portable use and have spent time comparing the Shure E2c with the Etymotic ER6i. I find that I enjoy the sound of the E2c more and it improves even further with amping (the Etymotic not nearly so much).

HOWEVER, my ears cannot take any of the silicon tips that came with the fit kit for E2c. Even the smallest pair are just too big and cause me considerable discomfort after 5-10 minutes. I'm currently using the smallest foamies and they're MUCH better for me, but I don't want to keep replacing them. The tri-flange silicon tips on the ER6i are far superior to anything packaged with the Shure, so I'm going to spring for the Shure PA755 Triple Flange Sleeves that ship with the E3c and E4c. For those of you who are using them, are they orders of magnitude more comfortable than the nibs or the foamies? Are they worth getting?

Jul 30, 2005 at 5:26 PM Post #2 of 5
I have not tried the tri-flange. I did order the small ultra soft tips that shure offers. I find them much more comfortable! It changes the sound a little, but it is worth it for the improvement in comfort. They may be worth considering.

I hope someone else can speak to the tri-flanges for you.

Jul 30, 2005 at 6:37 PM Post #3 of 5
Have you tried the flex sleeves and the black soft-flex sleeves? - the latter has only been available as optional purchase but has been recently packaged with newly manufactured e2/e2cs.

My understanding is that the sound stem/tube of the e2cs is wider than e3c, perhaps preventing swapping of tips.

Jul 30, 2005 at 6:45 PM Post #4 of 5
Thanks for the feedback you two. No, I haven't tried the black soft flex sleeves because my E2c's didn't include them. I only received the set of three foamies and three clear flex tips. Perhaps they're something I should consider as well.

As for the stem size difference, I've seen a couple of places advertising the triple flange sleeves as working across the entire E line of IEMs, and it was my impresison that they aren't included with the E2c as a cost cutting measure. I'm going to be in Phoenix next week, so I think I'll stop by one of the Apple stores there and see what they've got in the way of Shure fit kits. If that's a no go then I'll just order a pair and take my chances, perhaps getting the black flex sleeves at the same time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back