Shure E2c Replacements
Dec 16, 2008 at 10:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Ruel

Head-Fier
Hello all:

I am looking to replace my current in-ear phones this holiday season. Right now I have a pair of Shure E2c buds, they carry a few problems for me though.

I find the buds to be bearably uncomfortable. Though they do reach a point of annoyance and flat out discomfort when listened to in periods of time about an hour or more. I have tried to remedy this issue by using the different provided tips but found no real solution.

Sound. It may be psychological but I don't hear the same sound as I have grown to expect, listening at home to Grado SR60 headphones.

I am looking to spend ~$150. Also I don't want to carry a portable amp with me so great sound out of my source would be adored: iPod touch.

Thanks,
Ruel
beyersmile.png

Dec 17, 2008 at 4:33 PM Post #4 of 12
Thanks so much. I will definitely read through and follow the thread's progress. I am still curious, however as to whether some IEMs won't fix the problems I am experiencing with the Shure's.

Dec 17, 2008 at 4:51 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by pwrusr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi there Ruel,
I just started a thread with a slightly higher budget but there are some IEM's in my thread that are around the same budget as you're asking for:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/h...-touch-390729/

Using recommendations from your thread I pulled up these phones:
  • Sleek Audio SA6
  • Klipsch IMAGE
  • Future Sonics Atrio M5
  • Ultimate Ears Super.fi 3 Studio
  • Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pro
  • Etymotic Research HF5

For someone whose ears are apparently too small to be comfortable with Shure E2c phones, which ones should I consider. Also which will offer me the best sound, or sound resembling my Grado SR60 headphones.

Dec 17, 2008 at 5:26 PM Post #7 of 12
There's a great comparison between the SA6 and the klpsch image:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f137/r...io-sa6-361279/
might not answer every question that you have about the two...
I'm in the process of looking over the forum and seeing what else is good, so I'll try to help you out as I find different threads

Dec 17, 2008 at 7:01 PM Post #8 of 12
I used to have the Shure E2, E3 and E4, the latter was the best, but the Sleek Sa6 I got now is much much better; more detail, very good tonal balance with nice bass givving weight to the sound, dynamics like I never heard from a balanced armature, lovely clean treble, I love them!

Dec 17, 2008 at 8:26 PM Post #9 of 12
Reading a lot of reviews I realized the importance of the type of music being listened to with IEMs.

I am a very eclectic listener but value most the quality of my classical recordings, the detail. I listen to a good deal of opera and piano, as well as full orchestral pieces. To, possibly, complicate things I also enjoy listening to more organic sounds, music which does not sound "edited". Yet... still enjoy a good dollop of Daft Punk or Air.

I'm not sure if this was helpful at all
redface.gif

Dec 19, 2008 at 6:49 AM Post #11 of 12
Hey Ruel, I went with the Sleek Audio 6. They seem to be one of the better ones that I've come across for their price. picked them up from amazon for $217 shipped next day since I'm going on a trip and I can't afford to wait
tongue.gif

Honestly I'd go with your gut feeling on this one. search thr forums on the make/model of IEM's you're interested in and pick up what you feel to be the right set of headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back