Shure E2c - Poor Build Quality
Oct 21, 2008 at 3:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

jsplice

500+ Head-Fier
I've owned the E2c's for a little over 2 years. Since then, cable has deteriorated. I've had to patch the left earphone cable with speaker cable because the outer casing completely broke open, and the inner casing even broke open at the same spot, causing the positive and negative wires to short. There is an occasional short in the right earphone cable as well, but the outer casing has not broke open on that side yet. I think these will be the last pair of Shure's that I ever own. Paying $100 for a pair of earbuds that deteriorate like this is unacceptable. I used them under normal conditions all the time, so this is not the result of abuse.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Oct 26, 2008 at 8:29 PM Post #2 of 22
The cable on the left side of my e2c shorted out, and the headphones had no sound from the left after less than one year. Still looking for a option to replace the cables, but ultimately I switched to full sized cans

Oct 27, 2008 at 4:07 AM Post #4 of 22
My E2Gs(pretty much identical) we're pretty durable, having stepped on them a couple times even..
Though after around a year or so the cable split on one side about an inch from the speakers.
They're still working atm and since i lost my receipt i'll probably just reattach the cable and heatstrink wrap it if it ever shorts/breaks.

Oct 27, 2008 at 1:33 PM Post #5 of 22
I had 2 of my E2c's Cable split, the replacement also had the same problem :p since then i went on and got the Er6i (faultless, even thou its thin cabled it doesnt break like E2c does), then i moved onto a big can... hehe Ultrasone Pro750.

Oct 27, 2008 at 2:20 PM Post #6 of 22
Well I see that I'm not the only one that's had this problem. Seems as though this is a cheaply made set of ear phones. I was surprised when I found that the only way to get in touch with Shure about warranty claims was through email. Unfortunately I didn't keep my receipt, so I had no way to prove that mine were less than 2 years old. I can't remember if I sent in the registration card, but the person I exchanged emails with didn't even make any mention of whether or not I was in the database. All I was told was "well we might be able to fix it under warranty or we might not." I'm not going to send these in and possibly have to pay to have them fixed when they probably are only worth the amount that they'd charge to fix them.

Now I need another good set for work. I auditioned some Grados this weekend, but those put out way too much sound; people at work wouldn't appreciate that. All I know is that I'm not buying another set of Shures...

Oct 27, 2008 at 9:31 PM Post #7 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by jsplice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I see that I'm not the only one that's had this problem. Seems as though this is a cheaply made set of ear phones. I was surprised when I found that the only way to get in touch with Shure about warranty claims was through email. Unfortunately I didn't keep my receipt, so I had no way to prove that mine were less than 2 years old. I can't remember if I sent in the registration card, but the person I exchanged emails with didn't even make any mention of whether or not I was in the database. All I was told was "well we might be able to fix it under warranty or we might not." I'm not going to send these in and possibly have to pay to have them fixed when they probably are only worth the amount that they'd charge to fix them.

Now I need another good set for work. I auditioned some Grados this weekend, but those put out way too much sound; people at work wouldn't appreciate that. All I know is that I'm not buying another set of Shures...

I was able to get my e2c's replaced twice with no receipt - they can check the date of manufacture with the serial number.

Really, both the failed units I had were because they were treated like iBuds. My third pair is about three years old now (though they've been retired). I paid full retail for my pair in 2004/5, and they did their job. For what you can get them for now...

You can't beat Shure for fit, cable noise, isolation + bass, imho.

My Super.FI 5 pro broke faster than my e2c, FWIW.

Nov 1, 2008 at 10:15 AM Post #8 of 22
How did your Super.FI 5 broke?

Nov 1, 2008 at 6:28 PM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by member1982 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How did your Super.FI 5 broke?

A large chunk of the plastic housing cracked and came apart, with normal wear.

Nov 2, 2008 at 1:02 AM Post #10 of 22
my e2c is 4 years old now and i have no prblem with cables and overall build...

Nov 2, 2008 at 2:28 AM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by knights /img/forum/go_quote.gif
my e2c is 4 years old now and i have no prblem with cables and overall build...

How do you wear it? Over the ear style? both of mine cable cracked because of it. Also i used it while walking to stations etc.

Nov 2, 2008 at 3:10 AM Post #12 of 22
sadly im one of those people which cannot maintain certain items for a long time, i think 9 months in? cable cracked, about 3 cms from the speaker, probably gonna recable for fun, tho this is quite disappointing despite the shures having thicker cables

Nov 2, 2008 at 5:47 AM Post #13 of 22
Yeah it was very funny to hear someone on tube saying the E2c are great, and they have thicker cables, "excellent" build quality, but turns out something as small as that is trivial would be the demise of the IEMs. Maybe the cables is too thick not great :p

Nov 2, 2008 at 6:56 AM Post #14 of 22
member1982

over the ear as its design to be use in that way... i wear mine on bed, walking, even @ gym when i like to....

gore.rubicon

all of my headphones are intact... the oldest philips SBCHP195 and some pioneers and sony buds (6-7years) are still kicking not to mention the cheapos that comes with my previous DAP are still all working....

member1982

i never said that they are excellnt and i ddnt also like the cable being to thick, its just that im very careful with my stuff thats why it lasts a lifetime
wink.gif

Nov 2, 2008 at 7:01 AM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by knights /img/forum/go_quote.gif
member1982

over the ear as its design to be use in that way... i wear mine on bed, walking, even @ gym when i like to....

gore.rubicon

all of my headphones are intact... the oldest philips SBCHP195 and some pioneers and sony buds (6-7years) are still kicking not to mention the cheapos that comes with my previous DAP are still all working....

member1982

i never said that they are excellnt and i ddnt also like the cable being to thick, its just that im very careful with my stuff thats why it lasts a lifetime
wink.gif

I treated my E2c's like gold. I always put them back in the little circular case they came in, even as soon as I got out of the gym I put them back in the case while in my car. They still broke on me. I'll never purchase another Shure product in my life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back