Shure E2c or Etymotic ER6i?
Feb 24, 2006 at 8:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Indecisive

New Head-Fier
Hey all,

I'm new to the board and I recently found this site yesterday while searching Google for headphone reviews since I'm in the market for new ones. I've been reading past and current threads on the board and checked prices on many of the products discussed here. I came to the conclusion that for my price range, around 100$, that the E2c or ER6i would be the only choices. I'm not sure which one is better than the other for my needs..so I'll list them and hopefully if it's not a bother, someone will provide me with some input
smily_headphones1.gif

I listen to mostly Rock and Indie music, sometimes Pop music as well. Every Thursday I take a 6 hour trip using public transportation (Buses and Trains)and I constantly use my iPod while walking to class and while I'm in the library. I'm looking for a good quality sound on all levels and overall enjoyable comfort level (I have to be using them for 6 hours).

My iPod headphones recently broke but they killed my ears by the end of the trip so I'm not looking to get another pair. I've been wanting a pair that will cancel out noise but not make my ears physically ache.

So, with those details what would be best for me? The Shure's, Etymotic's, or is there another pair you can reccomend for the same price? I highly prefer and want an In-Ear pair.

Thank you for any advice you can offer me, I appreciate it!

-Indecisive

Feb 24, 2006 at 10:04 PM Post #2 of 15
I really like my Shure E3C's (a bump up in price from what you're looking for), but at the price point you're looking at, I'd go with the Etymotics over the E2C's. The Etymotics are tiny (and seem fragile, so take care of them, as you would any electronics gear), and they provide really good isolation and sound for the price and physical size ... especially valuable on public transportation, on airplanes, etc. Using the foamies makes them easier to put in and take out than if you use the deep-penetrating flanges (if that's an issue for you).

Or, you can go with lower-end canal phones such as the new Sennheisers, the Creatives, the Sharps, Sony's, etc. (not true isolators, but they stay in the ear well and help block out some of the outside noise, certainly more than earbuds do). People complain about the Sony's, but I've had the 51's and 71's, and find them physically comfortable, financially affordable (if you get a good price online), and acceptably listenable ... not high-end Head-Fi audio quality, but "fun," and a significant improvement in the wearing and listening experience over the earbuds that come with players. I've given them as presents to several friends, including iPod owners, and they liked them. The new Sennheiser and Creative canal phones look especially nice to me -- check the threads for comments.

Feb 25, 2006 at 1:10 AM Post #4 of 15
I have both. The ety's -- every time.

Feb 25, 2006 at 2:15 AM Post #7 of 15
I used the ER-6i with my Shuffle on the bus/BART and on airplanes. The ER-6i's rock. But please note that I prefer detail over a pumped up bass.

Now I use the ER-4p with the 5g.

Feb 25, 2006 at 2:22 AM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889
Er-6i hands down. The Shures sound like crap, don't insolate as well, and they'll break on you as well.

I havent heard both, but my e2c's are quite sturdy. I dont feel like they will break as easily as you say.
-g

Feb 25, 2006 at 2:57 AM Post #10 of 15
I own both the Sure E2c's and the Ety's and I greatly prefer the E2c's. They are sturdier, better designed, come with a spiffy little carrying case, have a better cord design that cinches behind your head, and have a flat accurate frequency response. I also liked how the disposable orange foam sleeves come in three sizes. I use them every day while the Ety's now sit in a drawer.

Feb 25, 2006 at 4:06 AM Post #11 of 15
lol Well, it's obvious everybody is split as of now. If you don't mind, I would like to recommend the Ultimate Ears super.fi 3 Studio.

Edit: They're $100.

Feb 25, 2006 at 4:30 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889
Er-6i hands down. The Shures sound like crap, don't insolate as well, and they'll break on you as well.

Doesn't sound like anything lasts long in your hands.
tongue.gif
rolleyes.gif

Feb 25, 2006 at 4:54 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by raisin
Doesn't sound like anything lasts long in your hands.
tongue.gif
rolleyes.gif

I know, I have no idea why, whenever I take things portable they always break. Almost all my old Sony cd players had sound stop coming out of one side so I had to send them in, my Sony minidisk has the same problem after I dropped them on my return flight from Japan, damn pushy stewardists, my first NWMS70D got thrown in the wash after I left it in my jacket accidentally, then I dropped my NWHD1 and the hard drive stopped spinning, although luckily I had a replacement warranty for this, I had two pairs of Bose Triports crack on me, and today I just had the connector on my CM7s die out on me (thought it was rain on the driver's, but turned out to be something wrong with the plug), idk my home stuff never breaks but for some reason my portable stuff always gets shot to hell. BTW the Shures that broke weren't mine, my friend had his cord get stripped but Shure replaced them however, it took three weeks to get it back to him.

Feb 25, 2006 at 4:11 PM Post #14 of 15
I'm an er4p owner and although they sound great I would suggest you go for e2c/e3c. I really do not like the way those etys go into your ears, even when using foam inserts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back