Shure E2 V Koss Portapro2
May 8, 2004 at 12:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

LTUCCI1924

Headphoneus Supremus
HI: I have been using the shure E2 for my portable rig for a good while now and just bought the Koss Portapro2 for 20.00. The E2 has a clearer sound but the Pro2 has a much more fun sound. The pro 2 has much better bass and sound stage over the E2. I paid 70.00 for the E2 and am surprised that the Pro2 at 20.00 has made me put the E2 away and now use the Portapro2 on my portable rig. The sound is a lot bigger, better bass, and better sound stage and most of all a lot more fun sounding over the E2. I also fine the Pro2 more comfortable and easer to use than the E2. I used to own the Portapro a few years ago and got away from them only to come back with the Pro2 after a lot of different headphones and earphones. I cut nickle size holes in the pads and released the mids and highs and tamed the bass on the Pro2. They are also easy to drive with my portable rig at 60 ohms. I seem to feel that the 60 ohms lets me put more power into the cans for a bigger and fuller sound. Had anyone with the E2 tried the Portapro2?

May 8, 2004 at 5:29 PM Post #3 of 8
Lou, could you describe a bit the mod you did on the pads? Does the foam have to be "ripped" away from the diaphragm enclosures, etc.? How do you reattached it?

To your post's question, the PP² has replaced much of my ER4P/S listening... at least temporarily. No way are they equal phones, but for fun, and quick on/off, they're a great portable pair.

May 8, 2004 at 6:20 PM Post #4 of 8
blessingx
HI: The pads are thick and muffle the sound and bloat the bass. But the thick pads are very comfortable. The pads come off by gently picking up the edge and go around the driver and once off cut a nickle size hole in them to release the mids and highs and tame the bass, Then just put back on by gently reinstalling them. They stay on by the points around the driver. I am really enjoying the 20.00 Pro2 and use them on my portable radio at 28 m/w per channel and my minidisc with the super mini amp V 6.2D. I find them to be fun sounding and very comfortable. If you would like to see how good they really sound try them on your home main rig and be in for a treat. But of course nothing is as good sounding as my 595 and home rig.

May 8, 2004 at 6:41 PM Post #5 of 8
Thanks for the description of the mod. Just used them (with Grado extension cable) for DVD watching. Surprisingly good film phones too.

May 9, 2004 at 1:44 AM Post #6 of 8
Okay, just did the mod. Thanks Lou again. This greatly improves my issue with the recessed midrange (or overpowering bass depending on how you look at it).

Increasingly big fan of the PP/PP². This does remind me much of the SR60/80 sound.

May 9, 2004 at 2:07 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx
Okay, just did the mod. Thanks Lou again. This greatly improves my issue with the recessed midrange (or overpowering bass depending on how you look at it).

Increasingly big fan of the PP/PP². This does remind me much of the SR60/80 sound.

I've always said they're like mini-Grados
biggrin.gif
I'm probably going to order some PP2's here in a bit and I'll try the mod with them. I'm still missing my KSC-35's which I lost, and my old Portapro's which were given away.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back