SHURE CUTS THE CORD: RMCE-TW1 / TW2 - THE TRUE WIRELESS THREAD
Aug 20, 2020 at 1:34 PM Post #153 of 590
My opinion is that the TW1 (with the proper setting) drives the 846 better than the BT2 did. The low end is less boomy, base guitar notes are easier to pick up amid thundering drums. Could be that the BT2's impedece wasn't perfect for the 846.

The biggest game changer for me however is the complete lack of microphonics. I usually listen to music while walking or working out. The absence of any cable movement noise alone is worth the price for me.

As far as comfort and for goes, it's impeccable for me. I use a pair of large double flange Spinfit tips. The TW1 never felt uncomfortable after one and a half hour of walking. They also kept the tips in a perfect seal position even though I was sweating and putting on a facial mask during the session. I never had to readjust an earpiece.

Unlike previous Shure cables, the TW1 has a fairly rigid shape. If it doesn't fit you at all, it could get uncomfortable. It also keeps the earplugs in a fairly fixed position. If your tips of choice don't provide a seal at that position, you will need to change them. For me, everything is perfect.

That is interesting. I also feel the BT2 leans on the boomy side with my SE846. Never would call it not properly driven though. I was always impressed with the SQ out of the BT2. No, it's not as detailed as out of my Mojo, but for a BT module, it's stellar. Always felt like Shure learned a lesson from the crappy BT1 and tuned the BT2 to be compatible with their higher-end lineup.

I'm glad to hear that the TW1 is able to keep up. I was assuming for the convenience and having to shrink the components even more, the TW1 would be inferior-sounding. I mean, having to drop aptX HD shows that there's compromise. So before I bought, I was waiting to hear from folks if this is another poor sounding situation like with the BT1 for the SE846. Fortunately, it doesn't sound like it. I put in my order on the Shure website for one.

I will follow-up with an update once I get them (backordered in the US at the moment). I'm not a big fan of the design or large case, but the convenience goes without saying. This concept is better than buying/upgrading among true wireless earbuds, and it will sound way better than any of them.

Aug 20, 2020 at 3:15 PM Post #154 of 590
And on what settings did you settle? :) The 425 is definitely louder.
The 846. The other settings I tried sounded to boomy, like an impedance mismatch.

That is interesting. I also feel the BT2 leans on the boomy side with my SE846. Never would call it not properly driven though. I was always impressed with the SQ out of the BT2. No, it's not as detailed as out of my Mojo, but for a BT module, it's stellar. Always felt like Shure learned a lesson from the crappy BT1 and tuned the BT2 to be compatible with their higher-end lineup.
The BT1 only supported SBC. That alone made the product oxymoronic.

Aug 22, 2020 at 7:15 AM Post #155 of 590
my unit arrived last Tuesday, and so far I'm very happy with this accessory to my SE846. Y stay in my ears better than with either cable or the older Bluetooth options BT1/BT2, sound is fantastic, comfort very good for my. Although getting them in place is rather finicky, once they are seated they just stay where they should.

regarding the various options in the Shure app: I don't think there's anything besides volume correction going on there... which is fine with me, I don like DSP "enhanced" sound: either the in-ear/headphone is tuned correctly -- or not. I think Shure would have spelled that out if there was any sound shaping going on... and they just talk about volume.

the size of the case is ok. Yes, of course AirPods are more pocketable... but it's a nice case, even shows battery level and keeps the in-ears secure.

Aug 22, 2020 at 7:49 AM Post #156 of 590
I don't think the options do any audio processing. I suspect they adjust the output impedance, which affects the frequency response, which affects the perceived volume.

All I need now is a simple small case, for when I don't need the big charging Shure case.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2020 at 11:31 AM Post #157 of 590
I don't think the options do any audio processing. I suspect they adjust the output impedance, which affects the frequency response, which affects the perceived volume.

All I need now is a simple small case, for when I don't need the big charging Shure case.
Technically I think it’s more likely the gain that’s being set. The output impedance is best set to the minimal value available from circuit design (which may pose problem during times of shortcuts such as in-/plugging, but this cannot even happen here since the MMCX connectors don’t shortcut when disconnected/connected). Otherwise output impedance would influence the sound of the in-ears, not just the volume.

I have a soft case left over that came with my BT1/SE215, still use that for just the in-ears. I think they sell that separately as well

Aug 25, 2020 at 11:01 AM Post #160 of 590
Aug 26, 2020 at 2:12 PM Post #161 of 590
New to this site posting and come here every so often to read certain things. I bought the shure te-1 adapter and use it with my 846s. I was messing around with the setting and noticed that when I selected A-215 as the source. My headphones were much louder. Kinda the same when I selected the A-5. When I selected the 846s it was much lower. Question any of you tried this and have you noticed a sound difference other than loudness? I’m trying to see how much I like this adapter. I have used other true wireless headphones and debating on these M&D MW07 plus and AirPods Pro.

Aug 27, 2020 at 7:36 AM Post #164 of 590
New to this site posting and come here every so often to read certain things. I bought the shure te-1 adapter and use it with my 846s. I was messing around with the setting and noticed that when I selected A-215 as the source. My headphones were much louder. Kinda the same when I selected the A-5. When I selected the 846s it was much lower. Question any of you tried this and have you noticed a sound difference other than loudness? I’m trying to see how much I like this adapter. I have used other true wireless headphones and debating on these M&D MW07 plus and AirPods Pro.
As I understand this setting, it’s exactly about volume settings: it gives you more spread in the lower volume range with the correct setting

Users who are viewing this thread

Back