Shure Black Foamies - fit/sound?
Jul 28, 2008 at 12:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

threepointone

500+ Head-Fier
Hi everyone =) Haven't been on the headphones part of this forum for quite a while! I almost didn't realize there's a fullsize and IEM forum now!

Anyway, I've finally run out of my stock of the old yellow Shure foamies for my E4 (2-3 years old now!) I'm probably going to try the new black foam tips, but I'm just wondering how I'm supposed to choose the tip size. Does it usually correspond to the tip size with those silicone/flex/whatever tips, or are they smaller/larger/etc? Does anyone sell an assortment pack to test them out?

Also, how much longer do they last? Can you use isopropyl alcohol/disinfectant on them? The main reason I'm thinking of switching from the yellow foamies is so that I don't have to keep on throwing them away (I tried cleaning them; they still looked pretty nasty and didn't really isolate well anymore)

I chose to use the foam tips is because they sounded a heck of a lot better (especially with the bass), and had a much better fit/better isolation (for my ears) when I first compared them with the tri-flanges and the silicone buds--do the new black foamies still retain those advantages?

Thanks for the help.

Jul 28, 2008 at 1:40 AM Post #2 of 6
Check out the IEM guide in my signature, there is a .pdf link in the eartips' section that has all the measurement of Shure black foam.

Don't clean the olive with alcohol based product, just get some peroxide solution from your local pharmacy and submerge olive in it for 10~15 minutes, than wash with water. Do not compress the foam during the whole process.

Jul 28, 2008 at 4:47 PM Post #4 of 6
I've used the same pair for about a year now, some wear and tear but still very usuable.

Jul 29, 2008 at 11:08 AM Post #5 of 6
Buy a pack (or call Shure for a fit kit - they helped me out). I would be very surprised if you are unhappy with them - one of the best tips available IMO

Jul 31, 2008 at 1:14 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by dura /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've used the same pair for about a year now, some wear and tear but still very usuable.

Got you beat. Mine are from the first national head-fi meet in spring '06.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back