Shure/Beats resemblance?
Feb 4, 2011 at 12:21 AM Post #2 of 15
I see it, but I think the Beats are fatter, look uglier with the huge "b" logo, and unrelated to looks; they sound terrible (I've heard them, and even with music I like, I hated them). So it doesn't matter, I'd go with Shure without ever hearing any (really haven't ever heard a pair of Shures :frowning2:

Feb 4, 2011 at 12:42 AM Post #4 of 15
Yeah, And I do see it. But like I said, the Beats look bulkier. Are they? I've worn the Beats, they weren't really heavy, but they're big.

Feb 4, 2011 at 12:47 AM Post #5 of 15
I thought the SRh840 looks like Sony MDR-V900.

Feb 4, 2011 at 4:25 AM Post #8 of 15

Quote:
There is only so much innovation in terms of looks that you can make with two transducers and a headband.

This. Given that the 240 is the cheapest in the SRH line, it's not unreasonable to suppose that Shure is courting the style-conscious with the glossiness and vaguely Beats-esque design, but there's only so many ways two cups, a band, and some wire can be arranged.

Interestingly, once you get to the 440 and above, it's all business and matte black plastic (except for the new 940, which is silver).

Feb 4, 2011 at 5:07 AM Post #10 of 15
Shures are actually bulkier IMHO

Feb 4, 2011 at 7:32 AM Post #11 of 15
...I've tried both and...the Beats sound better. *runs away*

The SRH240s just sounded totally bloated and unclear to me. So did the Beats, but they were less so.

Feb 4, 2011 at 7:55 AM Post #12 of 15
Haven't tried the 240, but 440 is certainly bulkier and I would imagine a bit heavier and bigger overall than the beats.

Can't remember much in terms of sound from the Beats, just hell of bass (Achewood reference, somebody chubby me lol). But judging by experience in the field it would be hard to vote for teh beats, don't even think they marketed themselves as audiophile?

- Cheers

Feb 4, 2011 at 10:15 AM Post #13 of 15

Quote:

The SRH240s just sounded totally bloated and unclear to me. So did the Beats, but they were less so.

As an owner of both the SRH240 and SRH440 I must disagree with your statement.  The SRH240s are the exact OPPOSITE of the Beats, meaning while the Beats focus on the lower end of the spectrum at the expense of the other frequencies, the Shures do not.  In fact the Shure have a slight emphasis on the midrange and upper frequencies resulting in sound signatue that is a bit bright.  While the soundstage is a bit cramped, you get outstanding clarity along with excellent vocal dynamics.  Muddy they are not.  Perhaps the pair you listened to were not sufficiently burned in?  The only real negative with the SRH240 is they are very moderate on bass(definitely need the bass boost with these guys).  All in all a much better headphone than the Beats at a fraction of the price.

Feb 6, 2011 at 11:34 AM Post #15 of 15

Quote:
Quote:

As an owner of both the SRH240 and SRH440 I must disagree with your statement.  The SRH240s are the exact OPPOSITE of the Beats, meaning while the Beats focus on the lower end of the spectrum at the expense of the other frequencies, the Shures do not.  In fact the Shure have a slight emphasis on the midrange and upper frequencies resulting in sound signatue that is a bit bright.  While the soundstage is a bit cramped, you get outstanding clarity along with excellent vocal dynamics.  Muddy they are not.  Perhaps the pair you listened to were not sufficiently burned in?  The only real negative with the SRH240 is they are very moderate on bass(definitely need the bass boost with these guys).  All in all a much better headphone than the Beats at a fraction of the price.

Really? I told my friend to return them to Best Buy because they might have been faulty (From reading the sound sig of their bigger brothers) and I probably did the right thing then. Bloated was the wrong word though. Muddy isn't either but there was something unnatural about them. If he gets another SRH240 (Those are really overpriced there) I'll correct myself.

Quote:
While we're on this topic, take a look at this - http://www.fannywang.com/lawsuit-fannywang.html

Monster has sued Fanny Wang (hard to take their name seriously) for infringing their design patent.

The case had been closed in favor of Fanny (I have their headphones BTW) It's hard to make a unibody headphone look unique. They don't even look like any of them. The Wangs have circular cups, the Beats have ovular ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back