Shure AONIC 50 -
Jul 31, 2020 at 3:19 PM Post #361 of 1,309
How do the vocals sound on Momentum 3 compared to Aonic 50? I like Aonic 50 vocals, sound full and rich. I don't like headphones having v-shaped frequency response, as the vocals can sound recessed or thin. I'm just curious. I got the Aonic 50 at 50% discount. More importantly, I like the sound. Not looking to switch, just curious as Momentum 3 and B&W P7 were next on my list.
Same! Would love to hear some first-hand impressions comparing the Aonic 50 to the Momentum 3s. They were initially in the running for me but I opted for the Shures as the PX7 left me kinda tired of (what has been described as) emphasized bass.

Also it's been a while since I've dusted off my P7s and P7Ws but both are special headphones, IMO. They're V-shaped (the wireless version even more so) but quite well done. They're what pushed me down this rabbit hole in the first place.

Jul 31, 2020 at 3:23 PM Post #362 of 1,309
Also it's been a while since I've dusted off my P7s and P7Ws but both are special headphones, IMO.

The P7W are the first and so far only bluetooth headphones I've truly enjoyed. I didn't get the same enjoyment out of their successors (and if we accept RTings' measurements as reasonably valid it's no wonder why).
I'm currently looking for their successors but I guess that I'll wait for a while to see what Apple comes up with.

Jul 31, 2020 at 3:25 PM Post #363 of 1,309
I too get very sweaty and hate that. They sound good, but it's a mixed bag. I keep getting 'not connected' and then it immediately connects again. Almost every song in BT mode. It's the can's not the various devices I'm using. Anyone else have this issue? most annoying.

Jul 31, 2020 at 3:43 PM Post #365 of 1,309
I am almost always in multiple pairing. iPhone and iPad. There shouldn't' be any issues since it's designed to do this. Wish the company had a spokesperson on here to help with tech issues. it's so bad, that I may just send them back.

Jul 31, 2020 at 4:31 PM Post #366 of 1,309
Yeah, AONIC 50 ear pads can get super sweaty for me too. The issue is that material is not breathable. So sweat just accumulate on them.

I don't have issue when I use it at home. But due to COVID, I work from home and I take multiple walks around neighborhood during the day. I use the headphone on these walks. And recently, it is not so hot, only around 75 deg F, and it is quite dry here in California. Every 5-10 minutes, I have to take off the headphones to wipe down my ears and the ear pads.

I hope 3rd party replacement ear cups will be on the market soon. I personally like velour or velvet-like fabric. They can also get hot (maybe even hotter than pleather), but will soak up the sweat or let the moisture evaporate better.

By the way, has anyone removed the ear cups? How does it come off? I tried to pull them straight off. I didn't use a lot of force because I don't want to break anything.

For me, the biggest issue is the high stiffness of the high density foam of these ear pads. I have a pretty big head and the clamping force of SA50 is quite intense (more intense than bose 700 which I returned in the past due to its clamping force). I takes a while before the ear pads of SA50 heats up, becomes softer and conform to my skull. Hence, allowing the clamping pressure to distribute nicely and becomes really comfortable on my head
I have to go through this cycle everytime I take off and put on the headphone back again (frustrating). Anyone else experience the same thing?🤣🤣

Jul 31, 2020 at 4:44 PM Post #367 of 1,309
The P7W are the first and so far only bluetooth headphones I've truly enjoyed. I didn't get the same enjoyment out of their successors (and if we accept RTings' measurements as reasonably valid it's no wonder why). I'm currently looking for their successors but I guess that I'll wait for a while to see what Apple comes up with.
Yeah, B&W's track record with wireless headphones is really strange.

They pretty much ****ing nailed it with the P7W (aside from the midbass which sounds overdone on some tracks). I don't think I ever came across a negative review about those headphones aside from some complaints about comfort. But once I saw the value of ANC I couldn't really go back, and I've been hopeful since that they'd recapture that P7 excitement somehow but with ANC. The PX was physically uncomfortable and had oddly rolled off treble, and the PX7 is so over-the-top in terms of its sound that it literally sounds like you're listening to loudspeakers, but it's so aggressively sculpted that it just doesn't work for some artists... which is a bummer because I adore the physical design and am impressed by the very effective adaptive ANC. It also bugs me that neither the PX nor the PX7 support passive playback, which is both convenient with the Aonic as well as indicative of careful, thoughtful driver tuning.
I am almost always in multiple pairing. iPhone and iPad. There shouldn't' be any issues since it's designed to do this. Wish the company had a spokesperson on here to help with tech issues. it's so bad, that I may just send them back.
You should, it sounds like there's a hardware issue with your headphones. Just as @plakat said, I've had nothing but solid connections with my iPhone and several other devices I've connected to.

Aug 1, 2020 at 2:54 AM Post #368 of 1,309

This is my experience. I'm paired to 2 devices: iPhone and MacBookPro. Then if I move far away (either to my backyard or go out for a walk with my iPhone), Shure will disconnect from the MacBookPro as it is too far away. Another situation is when MacBookPro goes to sleep. Sometimes Shure does not prompt me, but sometimes it will disconnect from the MacBookPro and prompt me.

When it disconnects from the 2nd device (MacBookPro), I hear the "connection lost" message. But I'm still connected to the iPhone that is with me.

You might want to check if your disconnection is with the 2nd device that is just at the edge BT range, so it connects and disconnects.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2020 at 3:17 AM Post #369 of 1,309
For me, the biggest issue is the high stiffness of the high density foam of these ear pads. I have a pretty big head and the clamping force of SA50 is quite intense (more intense than bose 700 which I returned in the past due to its clamping force). I takes a while before the ear pads of SA50 heats up, becomes softer and conform to my skull. Hence, allowing the clamping pressure to distribute nicely and becomes really comfortable on my head
I have to go through this cycle everytime I take off and put on the headphone back again (frustrating). Anyone else experience the same thing?🤣🤣

Everyone's head is different.

I find the clamping force of Aonic 50 to be quite low, much lower than other headphones I have tried. If I just put Aonic 50 on the desk, the earcups are already around 3-4 inches apart. This means I only need to expand each earcups by 2 inches to fit around my ears. Other headphones I have owned and tried (Beyerdynamic, Sony, Audio Technica) have earcups touching each other. On those headphones, I have to pull each earcup by 4 inches to go on my head.

On the other hand, Shure's earcups is only medium in size and not the softest.

It depends on where you feel the pressure or strain. If you feel the strain on your skull around the ears, then that is likely due to clamping force. If it on the ear, than it is likely the earcups.

Aug 1, 2020 at 4:28 AM Post #370 of 1,309

I've heard good things about Shure support, you might want to contact them through their website.
Maybe you might want to isolate issues to multipairing first by resetting your headphone, pairing it with only one device and trying to reproduce the connection problems. If they persist, your unit might indeed be defective.

My experience with pairing with 2 devices at once it mixed... I've had that configured with a V-Moda headphone, and sometimes it switched from my active music source (AK380) to my iPhone because of some incoming message sound... which I found too irritating, and therefore stopped using multipairing. It did work with incoming phone calls though, even switching back after hanging up.
Nowadays I use wireless headphones only with my iPhone, don't pair them with neither Macbook nor iPad. The AK380 I only use with wired headphones, since I switched to the SS version, which has absolutely abysmal Bluetooth performance anyway...

Aug 1, 2020 at 6:16 AM Post #372 of 1,309
I deciding buying again the sennheiser momentum 3 because is having real leather and is possible folding this headphone.
I'm going to buy the Sennheiser Momentum 3 again.
Would love to hear about the Momentum 3 vs Aonic 50 sound quality.
From what I did read, the Momentum are pretty bass heavy and as an Android user there is a problem with not having aptX HD or LDAC.
Apart from that the heat and folding reasons are quite valid.

Aug 1, 2020 at 9:13 AM Post #375 of 1,309
Yeah, AONIC 50 ear pads can get super sweaty for me too. The issue is that material is not breathable. So sweat just accumulate on them.

Yes, is pity about the ear pads. With the momentum 3 and my b&w p7 wireless (is having real leather earpads too) the experience is so different, very better, my ears never sweating or getting hot.

How do the vocals sound on Momentum 3 compared to Aonic 50? I like Aonic 50 vocals, sound full and rich. I don't like headphones having v-shaped frequency response, as the vocals can sound recessed or thin.

I'm just curious. I got the Aonic 50 at 50% discount. More importantly, I like the sound. Not looking to switch, just curious as Momentum 3 and B&W P7 were next on my list.

I think the mids and the treble is very good in the momentum 3 and is never sounding thin.

The bass is bleeding in the mids but this isn't always bad, but sometimes isn't very good. The very good thing is that with the new eq in the app with 3 bands is possible putting the bass down and is making real difference and I can putting similar with sa50 but with more extension in low bass. Is interesting that in the app is saying the maximum up or down is +/- 6dB but in reality i think is going up and down about 15dB because the difference is very easy hearing and only 6dB maximum isn't so easy hearing with some music. I think still the linearity is mids and treble is better in sa50 but with the new eq the difference isn't big. I'm happy with what I'm hearing. Is nice too listening to deep bass when is in the recording (this aspect only sometimes isn't very correct in sa50)

Yeah, B&W's track record with wireless headphones is really strange.

They pretty much ****ing nailed it with the P7W (aside from the midbass which sounds overdone on some tracks). I don't think I ever came across a negative review about those headphones aside from some complaints about comfort. But once I saw the value of ANC I couldn't really go back, and I've been hopeful since that they'd recapture that P7 excitement somehow but with ANC. The PX was physically uncomfortable and had oddly rolled off treble, and the PX7 is so over-the-top in terms of its sound that it literally sounds like you're listening to loudspeakers, but it's so aggressively sculpted that it just doesn't work for some artists... which is a bummer because I adore the physical design and am impressed by the very effective adaptive ANC. It also bugs me that neither the PX nor the PX7 support passive playback, which is both convenient with the Aonic as well as indicative of careful, thoughtful driver tuning.

I think the p7 wireless is fantastic headphone in many aspects. The design and the construction is superb, is folding very good, the buttons tactile response is perfect (the best of all the headphones in my experience), you having many volume steps for exact volume (very important for me). Yes, the mid bass sometimes is little problem but I think isn't big problem and is often adding more good weight in the music. But for me the sa50, after 3,5 years using the p7 wireless every day, is the first headphone that is sounding more correct than p7 wireless. But I don't planning selling my p7w because I think is great headphone. b&w px fr me is having terrible sound, very very dark. The px7 is better but in some albums the treble is sounding wrong (bad peaks) and offending my ears, and the mids is sounding hollow too.

Would love to hear about the Momentum 3 vs Aonic 50 sound quality.
From what I did read, the Momentum are pretty bass heavy and as an Android user there is a problem with not having aptX HD or LDAC.
Apart from that the heat and folding reasons are quite valid.

The sa50 is more correct, more linear and is more close to the reality of the recording. The momentum 3 with the new eq in the app that you can saving in the headphone is now more close with the sound of the sa50 and is having better low frequencies extension, very low bass is excellent. The momentum 3 is sounding bigger, more exciting and maybe is more close with experience of listening with speakers.

For me high resolution files isn't necessary because in my opinion is gimmick. high resolution albums is only good for me when the master is better than cd quality master, but this isn't common. 256kbps aac files is excellent. More high resolution is placebo effect, in my opinion, when is the same master and recording.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back