Shure AONIC 50 -
Jun 14, 2020 at 9:00 PM Post #121 of 1,309
Just now I also noticed that first issue you mention.
Didn't try to reproduce the issue yet, but it looks like an "getting to connection right" issue in that first few second of the connection.

Thanks for confirming that you also noticed this on your unit, at least occurred once. I suspect it is likely design issue and not unique defect with my unit. So I won't bother returning the item. It doesn't bother me that much, since it occurs only at power up, and only sometimes.

I have iPhone and MacBook pro and I wishing the volume steps (up and down) is more gradual (more steps). My bowers and wilkins p7 wireless is having this (more steps) and is fantastic because you can really changing the volume in small increments. This a more important problem with the albums releasing in last 25-30 years of rock and pop music, or the releasing of remastering of more old albums. This albums are very loud originally. If you going from step 2 to 3 or 7 to 8, or the opposite, the difference in the volume is often very big.

The majority of the wireless headphones having the same problem. I'm sure is possible with a firmware update improving this situation. The shure aonic 50 is have a reference / studio sound. In this case the volume steps is very important aspect for the people that appreciate good sound and don't listening always loud.

I noticed this on Aonic 50. Then I tried a few a few different earphones. I think this is iOS support, rather than the headphone.

On the iPhone XS Max, it takes 8 button presses to go from 0% volume to 50% (exactly half on the volume bar) using AONIC 50 and all other devices I tested:
  • Volume button on the left side of iPhone.
  • Using default Apple earbuds with volume and play/pause buttons on the cable (that came with my iPhone 7).
  • Beats urBeat 3 headphone also with volume and play/pause buttons on cable.
I suspect this is standard on iOS. Need to use software control for finer adjustment.

(8 button presses to go from 0 to 50% volume):
IMG_0309.jpeg

Oh and a second one ..do they have moultipair ? My senhhesier momentum 2 I conect them to my phone and my dap M11 at the same time ..and from the settings I put the connection to my phone only for phone calls and the connection on my dap for media . So when I listen to music and my phone rings the headphones stop the music play and ring so that I can take the call

Yes, Aonic 50 has have multipoint pairing. On iPhone, this is the behavior. If 1st device is producing sound, there is no sound coming from 2nd device (no notification, no music, no game sounds). When 1st device stops playing sound, then Aonic will then switch to the sound of 2nd device.

But when a phone call comes thru on 2nd device (iPhone), Aonic will pause the sound from 1st device; and I can hear phone call ring tone.

Previous poster shared his experience Aonic 50. Seems like other bluetooth headphone behaves different. My other bluetooth headphones are Apple AirPods and AirPods Pro, which do not have multipoint pairing. So I don't know what is typical.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/shure-aonic-50.931134/post-15639177

Jun 15, 2020 at 1:20 AM Post #122 of 1,309
Yes, Aonic 50 has have multipoint pairing. On iPhone, this is the behavior. If 1st device is producing sound, there is no sound coming from 2nd device (no notification, no music, no game sounds). When 1st device stops playing sound, then Aonic will then switch to the sound of 2nd device.

But when a phone call comes thru on 2nd device (iPhone), Aonic will pause the sound from 1st device; and I can hear phone call ring tone.

Previous poster shared his experience Aonic 50. Seems like other bluetooth headphone behaves different. My other bluetooth headphones are Apple AirPods and AirPods Pro, which do not have multipoint pairing. So I don't know what is typical.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/shure-aonic-50.931134/post-15639177
Thank you very much

Jun 15, 2020 at 4:15 AM Post #123 of 1,309
I noticed this on Aonic 50. Then I tried a few a few different earphones. I think this is iOS support, rather than the headphone.

On the iPhone XS Max, it takes 8 button presses to go from 0% volume to 50% (exactly half on the volume bar) using AONIC 50 and all other devices I tested:
  • Volume button on the left side of iPhone.
  • Using default Apple earbuds with volume and play/pause buttons on the cable (that came with my iPhone 7).
  • Beats urBeat 3 headphone also with volume and play/pause buttons on cable.
I suspect this is standard on iOS. Need to use software control for finer adjustment.

(8 button presses to go from 0 to 50% volume):
IMG_0309.jpeg

This is why I saying in my post "the majority of headphones", and this meaning that with the majority of headphones I obtaining 15-16 steps. But this isn't with ALL the headphones. With b&w p7 wireless and bose qc35 I obtaining more steps and this is great, so I know that yes, is possible with firmware changing the volume steps. Only with sennheiser m3 I obtaining less steps than 15-16, with big jumping when volume up or down and this was terrible for me.

Jun 16, 2020 at 4:52 AM Post #125 of 1,309
I returned my Aonic 50s. Not because of the sound, but because of the fit. My ears are big and they we pushing against the inside of the earcups. Not very comfortable for long sessions.
Now the search continues...

Thats really unfortunate... to me they are very comfortable, but yes, the inside of the cups is not that large.

Its the first Bluetooth headphone that I don't only use on the go or in the office (i.e. not right now...), but that I really like to listen to. Its overall balanced sound signature really appeals to me, it neither tries to impress with massive amounts of bass nor with an overload of details produced by peaks in high mids/low treble, but offers solid bass and detailed, yet unoffensive mids and treble. Very well done.

Jun 16, 2020 at 9:00 AM Post #126 of 1,309
Its overall balanced sound signature..., it neither tries to impress with massive amounts of bass nor with an overload of details produced by peaks in high mids/low treble, but offers solid bass and detailed, yet unoffensive mids and treble. Very well done.

This is exactly my feeling for the this excellent headphone. The more time I listening to aonic 50 (23 days now) the more happy I am, and the bass is NEVER a problem (thin). For me this listening experience is very exciting, with no offensive peaks and not hiding information with dippings in the frequency curve. Is a beautiful balance that is for me like a perfect clean window for what the recording is offering, is never enhancing nothing or hiding nothing. After 23 days I'm listening still more time than is normal for me because the sound is very, very correct and for me this is very exciting.

Jun 16, 2020 at 12:13 PM Post #127 of 1,309
My initial impressions..

Cons :

The Aonic 50's are not that comfortable. You will never forget you have them on your head or on your ears.
Pads are designed for ears that are no larger then medium.
Horrible cheap proprietorial wire for using them "wired". I think its the same awful rubber cable that comes with the Bose 25-35.
Pads get warm.

Pros :

They Look like B&W P7s
Nice case.
Build quality.
Fairly comfortable, tho pads are a problem for large ears

Pro - Extra :

I only use them wired... So, i can't speak for their digital situation.

Sound Quality : Slightly dry and very precise. "Neutral". Non-Colored sound.

Initially right out of the box, there is a hint of graininess in their overall tonality. This disappears and the sound you discover is as good as you are going to find in a $400 USD headphone, - wired.
The sound engineer of this set of headphones was trying to perfect the midrange, and its stellar.
The Mids are clear, concise, precise, open, and really really good.
The Treble is also of equal value, as its free from 6kHz madness, and has no upper upper frequency etch. Its just a perfect compliment to the midrange. Gobs of detail and free from anything sonically annoying.
Overall, there is a sense of "in your face" sound signature, whereby the mids are very very revealing, without being over-cooked or too "up front".
Mids are definitely not recessed.
This set of headphones sound like what the makers of the Audeze LCD1 were trying to build, sonically, and didnt. This is a true sounding, balanced, sonically pleasing, gear.
Soundstage is better then average. Instrument separation is very good.
Bass is "quick" and detailed and is designed to compliment the Midrange. So, if you need bass thump this is not your game plan. Think of the Aonic 50's bass as mostly Neutral.

The Aonic 50s are going to please the person who loves their midrange and needs a top end that deals in Truth, and is not cutting or over-cooked.
You will not find a "V" shape in this gear.

Lovers of Classical and Acoustic music will especially be very happy that you bought these.

My Rating : 4.2/5

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2020 at 12:52 PM Post #128 of 1,309
1 question please if someone of the owners can check it for me . Can you connect them and work them without the app installed ?
Oh and a second one ..do they have moultipair ? My senhhesier momentum 2 I conect them to my phone and my dap M11 at the same time ..and from the settings I put the connection to my phone only for phone calls and the connection on my dap for media . So when I listen to music and my phone rings the headphones stop the music play and ring so that I can take the call
my replacement pair just arrived and pairing without the app installed worked fine. my last pair was probably defective in that regard as well.

Jun 16, 2020 at 1:01 PM Post #129 of 1,309
I got the AONIC 50 for 3 days now. I enjoy the sound quality. I'll write up my review later. Right now, I have this issue with sound glitch.

Issue 1:

After I turn on the headphones, and start playing music, there is a glitch (where the sound stops and starts for fraction of second). This occurs at 14-15 seconds after the “Power on… Connected” message ends.

If I wait after 15 second to start playing music, I won’t hear this glitch.

This is quite repeatable. This occurs more than 50% of time. This has happened to all devices I have (iPhone, 2 different iPads, 2 different MacBookPro).

Because it occurs so often, I used a timer and it is always at 14-15 second mark.

There was 1 instances that at 14-15 second mark, even though I’m playing music already, I heard the message “Connected” again. So I thought it might have to do with headphone trying to pair with 2nd device. So I did trial and error of connecting to 1 vs 2 devices. But I can almost always (>50%) produce this issue, regardless if only 1 or 2 devices are paired.

I want to check if this is design issue or issue with my particular unit. Do you guys have this problem?

Issue 2:

This 2nd issue occurs rarely. I get this same glitch (where the sound stops and starts for fraction of second) intermittently. Sometimes it is just a single glitch. At first, I thought it has to do CPU load and my music player (Spotify) glitched.

Then, there were 2 instances where glitch kept on occurring every minute or so. Once on my MacBookPro and once on my iPhone.

First time, I think I just power off/on and it went away.

Second time, it occurred after I noticed issue #1. So I tried to to do some trouble shooting. I believe the issue stopped when I unpaired 2nd device. But this occurrence is so low, I don’t know if the root cause is indeed the 2nd paired device.

Any suggestions or idea what is going on? I'm debating if I should exchange this unit. But then I have to go thru the hassle of return shipment.
couldn't reproduce that problem. maybe a problem with apple devices?

EDIT: actually seems to be a multi pair issue. short glitch right before connecting to the 2nd device.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2020 at 1:27 PM Post #131 of 1,309
Found the culprit. It's the Poweramp music app advanced audio output plugin setting that causes the glitch. The app offers several output plugins like OpenSL ES Output, Java based output (default) and Hi-Res Output. Apparently, this setting applies globally to all other audio players in the phone. Scary!

After I restored to defaults, the LDAC sounded very clean now. All's well. Now back to intense auditioning before I pen my review!
i installed poweramp and fiddled with the settings u mentioned but sound is still the same.

as other people mentioned its a LDAC problem. when switching LDAP off in the android bluetooth settings sound is fine. its SBC or AAC tho, which kinda makes this a bit of a bummer if you cannot use a proper codec. also i didnt manage to force aptX or aptX HD. so i couldnt test that.

Jun 16, 2020 at 1:37 PM Post #132 of 1,309
Thats really unfortunate... to me they are very comfortable, but yes, the inside of the cups is not that large.

Its the first Bluetooth headphone that I don't only use on the go or in the office (i.e. not right now...), but that I really like to listen to. Its overall balanced sound signature really appeals to me, it neither tries to impress with massive amounts of bass nor with an overload of details produced by peaks in high mids/low treble, but offers solid bass and detailed, yet unoffensive mids and treble. Very well done.
I’m pretty bumped about it. The sound was nice and clear. Loved the way it reproduced the vocals.

Hope you guys all enjoy this awesome headset.

Jun 16, 2020 at 1:53 PM Post #133 of 1,309
So, the "LDAC rattling" problem doesn't seem to be a Shure hardware problem. I just tested the headphones on my laptop (Thinkpad T480) with LDAC and it's totally fine. With my phone (OnePlus 3) and LDAC I get that rattling. While this is a good sign, I still have to fix it, since my main use case would be using the phone ... .
I did also contact Shure about that. So hopefully we are able to find a solution. I will post again if I resolved that.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2020 at 2:40 PM Post #134 of 1,309
I’m pretty bumped about it. The sound was nice and clear. Loved the way it reproduced the vocals.

Hope you guys all enjoy this awesome headset.

Thank you, I sure am.
Unfortunately headphones really need both qualities, comfort and sound... one can live with good sound but bad comfort only for some time, but its not what makes on really want to grab a headphone and just listen. This is the reason I never even considered Audeze: I could never live with that weight. Even if they sounded like heaven (to me, they don't), not being able to wear them for long would not let me enjoy music.

Maybe you might want to take a look at the Beyerdynamic Amiron Wireless... I always liked that a lot, and the cups are more spacious.

Jun 16, 2020 at 2:52 PM Post #135 of 1,309
Lovers of Classical and Acoustic music will especially be very happy that you bought these.

I share your opinion on mids and treble, and just wanted to add a bit regarding bass.

I think the precise bass does match electronic genres very well, its just not adding to the recording, which I happen to prefer. I just dislike anemic bass that is only able to reproduce typical acoustic performances (where deep bass is rare), but technically those sets are simply missing something down there.

Emphasized bass may be funny with eletronica if the boost is on the deep side, leaving the lower mids alone. That tunig might not even impact rock or classical/acoustic genres though, while a tuning where the bass bleeds into the mids does not work with any genre I think.

So, while the Aonic 50 does not go particularly deep (at least not in a manner that's in your face), it offers very satisfying bass with recordings that demand bass. I'm really happy with this tuning, and I think it works well with a wide selection of music.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back