Shure AONIC 50 -
Jun 3, 2020 at 3:51 PM Post #77 of 1,309
Yesterday I investigating the dali case and is cost 40 euros + 4 euros for shipping (2-3 weeks for delivery), or 14 euros for shipping (1-3 days). This is extremely expensive. I hoping I can finding a case for 15-25 euros in Amazon in the future with free shipping.
ye, thats a pain. If you find a nice aftermarket case pls let us know. If i decide to get the Shure's I would be interested in that as well.

Jun 4, 2020 at 4:30 AM Post #78 of 1,309
After long deliberation I decided to order one myself. Since I wanted the black version (yes, old-fashioned...) I ordered from Shure directly, paying a premium of 29€... but at least they already shipped And are scheduled for delivery tomorrow. Always liked Shure for their high quality products, had lots of microphones which never failed me and the SE846 is one of the oldest models in my collection, surviving multiple sale cycles.
My primary interest besides sound quality is comfort, and from what I read here I think they'll be just perfect for use during work.

Am I correct in assuming that this would allow us to drive these cans wired in balanced mode (provided that we order the correct aftermarket cable for them e.g. 2.5mm-2.5mm or 2.5mm-4.4mm TRRS)..?

I would not bet on that... it may use TRRS for including a microphone signal.

Jun 4, 2020 at 5:59 AM Post #79 of 1,309
I want adding this:

You're asking about "Bass, mid, treble, soundstage, separation, musicality. Impressions with different types of music."

The soundstage is bigger usually when you having more v-shape curve.

Separation is usually very good in majority of headphones, but the more neutral this headphone is, usually better separation is audible.

Musicality is subjective. Musicality usually = enjoyment. And the manufacturers knowing that v-shape or more bass is meaning normally more excitement, so usually translating like "musicality". For me the shure aonic 50 is VERY musical because isn't assaulting my ears with a lot of bass or treble, and I can put the volume up and have more enjoyment without fatiguing frequencies in 5-10 minutes.

But you also must thinking of other important aspect: transients. And the shure aonic 50 is the best of all of this headphones. It is quick in complex passages and sufficient 'slow' for realistic decay. This is exciting for me!

@angelom thanks for your reply and your impressions. I really only just asked for sound and for three headphones. But I guess you understood I wanted them all, which is fine. Thanks for your trouble.

The second post is also very interesting. I know musicality is very, very subjective. That’s why I just put this parameter in the middle of the more objective ones. Because I did want your reaction. I slightly disagree it’s just “enjoyment” because it’s also enjoyment (that could be dealt with just the V curve) but it’s also a certain “je ne sais quoi” of music balance. I guess enjoyment and perfect understanding of the music is correct.

I think the Dali’s had that. But they were not totally correct and I don’t have round ears and that just pissed me off. The Senns maybe but... I’m just so happy Shure has come to this wireless/ANC market. If not, I would go for the PX7, but fearing those flaws in the highs.

Seems like the AONIC 50’s are the ones.

@hifi80sman have yours arrived?

Thanks again. Cheers!

Jun 4, 2020 at 6:46 AM Post #80 of 1,309
ye, thats a pain. If you find a nice aftermarket case pls let us know. If i decide to get the Shure's I would be interested in that as well.

Yesterday I learned that https://www.accessoryhouseglobal.com/ are developing a case for the DALI IO. If the existing DALI case also fits the Shure Aonic 50, then the Accessory House Global case for the DALI should fit as well ... No ETA on that case yet though .... Currently in development .. But I have one for my Denon AH-D9200 and I love that case. So I will definitely hold out until this case becomes available.

Jun 4, 2020 at 7:37 AM Post #81 of 1,309
I think my opinion of the shure aonic 50 case is changing now. The first day I thinking is extremely big. Today I check again and I comparing with the sony xm3 case that is very similar in the size of bose qc35/qc35II. Yes, the case is very big but I thinking isn't so terrible now and is possible putting in normal rucksack or rucksack dedicated for laptops. Here is 2 photos.

IMG_0158.jpg
IMG_0156.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2020 at 3:44 AM Post #82 of 1,309
Hi, I’m in the market for Bluetooth headphones. My usage is around 50% for streaming movies/tv on my MacBook Pro; 25% for music on MBP or iPhone; 25% YouTube on MBP or iPhone. Currently, I’m using Audio Technica ATH-A700. I do enjoy sound stage on Audio Technica for movies/tv; it’s wide and immersive, though it is not necessarily directional. I don’t like the thin vocals in music & voices in movies on Audio Technica.

Features I care about are:
  1. Sound stage: Wide sound stage for movies
  2. SQ: Reasonably flat response, but I don’t like thin vocals or voices
  3. Latency: Low latency for movies
  4. Battery life
  5. Similar sound wired without power vs powered
Features I don’t care about:
  • Portability. I have Shure E4C IEM that I use on airplane.
  • ANC: nice to have, but I never use ANC on my AirPods Pro. This headphone is for home use, so I don't care much for ANC performance.
I’m looking at the following 3 headphones: Shure AONIC 50, Sennheiser Momentum3, Bowers & WIlkins PX7. Just thinking thru features I care about. If anyone can provide more info, I really appreciate it. I have read all 19 pages of comments for M3 + 98 pages for PX7, which took me several hours over 3 days.

AONIC 50:
  1. Sound stage: I read Alexi’s review that M3 has better sound stage. Is A50 that much worse? Or M3 is slightly better? Can someone describe the sound stage, as best as you can.
  2. SQ: Seems to be most neutral among these 3. When folks mention studio or reference monitor (to describe AONIC 50), what does this mean for vocals? Does vocals sound thin?
  3. Latency: Any feedback on latency on MacBook Pro or iOS? LIke for watching movies and YouTube.
  4. Battery life: A bit below average vs competitors. Is 20 hrs with ANC on? Just curious if anyone checked how long battery last without ANC? Shure does not provide this spec.
  5. Wired without power: Already read feedback that wired no power is just as good was with power. This is a plus.
Sennheiser Momentum 3:
  1. Sound stage: roughly on-par with PX7. Some like PX7, while others like M3.
  2. SQ: Some say this has most enjoyable SQ among the 3. But bass a bit boomy. On JimsReviewRoom on YouTube, seems good with that limited 20 seconds of audio.
  3. Latency: rtings measured iOS latency as 389 msec. Not sure how accurate this is. If correct, this is pretty bad.
  4. Battery life: Big concern. Smaller battery, frequent charge cycles, shorter overall life. I prefer not to have a dead can after 1-2 years of use.
  5. Wired without power: Not as good vs powered. This is worse when combined with possible short life span (#4).
Bowers & WIlkins PX7:
  1. Sound stage: roughly on-par with M3.
  2. SQ: reviews vary a lot. I heard sound samples on JimsReviewRoom on YouTube. The vocals sound similar to Sony 1000XM3, which is a bit thin.
  3. Latency: rtings measured iOS latency as 100 msec. If accurate, this is very good.
  4. Battery life: excellent
  5. Wired without power: not applicable :frowning2:
  6. Many reports regarding clicking sound defect or flaw. Very concerning for $400 unit.
Thanks

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2020 at 3:57 AM Post #83 of 1,309
Hi, I’m in the market for Bluetooth headphones. My usage is around 50% for streaming movies/tv on my MacBook Pro; 25% for music on MBP or iPhone; 25% YouTube on MBP or iPhone. Currently, I’m using Audio Technica ATH-A700. I do enjoy sound stage on Audio Technica for movies/tv; it’s wide and immersive, though it is not necessarily directional. I don’t like the thin vocals in music & voices in movies on Audio Technica.

4. Battery life
  • ANC: nice to have, but I never use ANC on my AirPods Pro. This headphone is for home use, so I don't care much for ANC performance.
I’m looking at the following 3 headphones: Shure AONIC 50, Sennheiser Momentum3, Bowers & WIlkins PX7. Just thinking thru features I care about. If anyone can provide more info, I really appreciate it. I have read all 19 pages of comments for M3 + 98 pages for PX7, which took me several hours over 3 days.

AONIC 50:
  1. Sound stage: I read Alexi’s review that M3 has better sound stage. Is A50 that much worse? Or M3 is slightly better? Can someone describe the sound stage, as best as you can.
  2. SQ: Seems to be most neutral among these 3. When folks mention studio or reference monitor (to describe AONIC 50), what does this mean for vocals? Does vocals sound thin?
  3. Latency: Any feedback on latency on MacBook Pro or iOS? LIke for watching movies and YouTube.
  4. Battery life: A bit below average vs competitors. Is 20 hrs with ANC on? Just curious if anyone checked how long battery last without ANC? Shure does not provide this spec.
  5. Wired without power: Already read feedback that wired no power is just as good was with power. This is a plus.
Sennheiser Momentum 3:
  2. SQ: Some say this has most enjoyable SQ among the 3. But bass a bit boomy. On JimsReviewRoom on YouTube, seems good with that limited 20 seconds of audio.
  3. Latency: rtings measured iOS latency as 389 msec. Not sure how accurate this is. If correct, this is pretty bad.
  4. Battery life: Big concern. Smaller battery, frequent charge cycles, shorter overall life. I prefer not to have a dead can after 1-2 years of use.
  5. Wired without power: Not as good vs powered. This is worse when combined with possible short life span (#4).
Bowers & WIlkins PX7:
  2. SQ: reviews vary a lot. I heard sound samples on JimsReviewRoom on YouTube. The vocals sound similar to Sony 1000XM3, which is a bit thin.
  3. Latency: rtings measured iOS latency as 100 msec. If accurate, this is very good.
  6. Many reports regarding clicking sound defect or flaw. Very concerning for $400 unit.
Thanks
You should also consider the Dali IO. The IO-6 is with ANC and the IO-4 is basically the same without ANC and without a case.

Jun 5, 2020 at 4:12 AM Post #84 of 1,309

4. Battery life

AONIC 50:
Sennheiser Momentum 3:
Bowers & WIlkins PX7:
Thanks

Battery with no anc for shure a50 is 23h 15m.
Vocals is NOT sounding thin.

Jun 5, 2020 at 4:39 AM Post #85 of 1,309
Has anyone been able to compare the Aonic 50 performance with the various codecs? I would be interested to know whether they perform best with LDAC or APTX-HD

Jun 5, 2020 at 11:23 AM Post #86 of 1,309
I would not bet on that... it may use TRRS for including a microphone signal.

Just got word from Shure :

The Aonic 50 are not internally wired for balanced use. The reason for the TRRS plug on the headphone end is cable detection. This is how the Aonic 50 know that a cable is attached and that they need to switch to analogue input. The microphone will also stop functioning when a cable is attached (USB or Mini jack). The microphone is designed to only work wirelessly.

Jun 5, 2020 at 12:52 PM Post #87 of 1,309
I testing today the 2.5mm/3.5mm cable with the sa50 with my MacBook pro. I'm very happy reporting the sound isn't changing at all from wireless and cables, and if is changing I can't hearing clear difference (is not possible comparing quickly because the change from wire and wireless and turning on and off isn't quick). With the cable the headphone is off automatically and I noticing I need putting the volume down a lot, this is a big difference, the volume can becoming extremely loud.

I don't testing cables with all the wireless headphones I trying in the past 4/5 years because I want wireless all the time, but I remember very well the cable in the qc35 and the first sony anc wireless (xm1?) and the sound with the cable is very very bad. This is very good news for the sa50 in case the battery is finished completely or people sometimes preferring at home using the cable instead of wireless.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2020 at 12:57 PM Post #88 of 1,309
My Aonic arrived today, and after a slight initial irritation the tuning grew on me. It's lively and detailed without any sharpness, has decent bass that's clean and certainly in line with the rest of the spectrum (I could well live with some subways boost though), quite spacious sounding and comfortable to wear.

The iOS application lets me change from voice prompts to tone signals, which is a nice touch. I'd love to deactivate the blue led though: it blinks every few seconds when connected, so its not that irritating, yet I prefer it off.
I like the button controls much better than touch, especially the unfortunately rather bad implementation on the AKG K-371BT which I recently purchased.

Using a 2.5mm jack without any protection is not a good idea in my opinion, but I don't expect to use the cable much (if at all). Happy to hear that the sound does not change, to me its important that wireless headphones are acoustically tuned, not using DSP tricks to sell a bad driver (Sony I'm looking at you).

Yes, the case is too big... very nice, but too big. Not a problem, I'll primarily use it during work anyway, so portability is not that much of a priority.

Jun 5, 2020 at 1:29 PM Post #89 of 1,309
My Aonic arrived today, and after a slight initial irritation the tuning grew on me. It's lively and detailed without any sharpness, has decent bass that's clean and certainly in line with the rest of the spectrum (I could well live with some subways boost though), quite spacious sounding and comfortable to wear.

I can understanding what you saying. For me isn't the same experience (the irritation) but is similar because I coming from p7 wireless that is have more mid-bass and less linear mids to treble frequency (but never peaky!) and is very good sound in some respects. But I listening maybe 10-15 minutes with sa50, putting the volume up (not a lot) and soon I am loving sa50 because I hearing very correct bass and specially not offensive mids and treble! This is never happening the same with the dali io-6, mw65 or b&o h9 (the 3 variations of this model), all headphones more or less with neutral/flat sound, because when I putting the volume up for little more bass presence, the mids and/or (specially) highs is hurting my ears quickly.

Is 12 days with the sa50 and I'm listening more hours to music than I wanting every day, but the sound of sa50 is so good I frequently can't finishing when I wanting! This isn't always good for me, specially if I need sleeping more early!

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2020 at 1:57 PM Post #90 of 1,309
I had to return my Aonic 50 because unfortunately they were broken. I had the seemingly common issue of some part being loose within the earcup which rattles when shaking the whole thing. I had this on both sides!
Also the sound appears to have been affected by this, the mids were extremely distorted and it just sounded horrible.
Let's hope the replacement will be fine - whenever they arrive.

Also, the ANC was very weak compared to my QC35, almost non-exsistent, almost as weak as the Dali IO-6's ANC. I hope this was also due to the defect, das somebody have a comparison of these two headphone's ANC?

A real bummer, I am so much looking forward to these as on paper they tick every checkbox I am looking for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back