Shure AONIC 50 Headphones and AONIC 215 Earphones
May 20, 2020 at 1:36 PM Post #61 of 110
You will love them. I use mine as office headphones everyday for 8+ hours a day most of the time. Comfortable, multi point bluetooth pairing, and excellent sound quality. I put these a step above the Momentum 3s and B&W PX7 as far as sound quality. They're up there with my favorite wireless ANC headphones when it comes to sound, the Dali iO-6 and NAD Viso HP70.

Sweet, looks like I've finally found a pair to replace my Definitive Technology Symphony 1s

It's a shame that Definitive Technology seemed to abandon those.

Would you be able to measure inside the earcup by any chance?

The Symphony 1s are almost 7cm tall measuring inside from the space between the inner earpads.

My ears won't fit properly in the Sony XM3 etc. They do fit in the Bose QC35

I wish reviews would do that. Many headphones are only suitable for small or medium sized ears.

I wonder if the earpads could be replaced with genuine leather ones (which should get loss hot?) and perhaps larger ones if necessary? That could look odd though I guess, but they could extend out. Shame there doesn't seem to be a universal earpad fitting system.

Cheers!

May 25, 2020 at 5:10 PM Post #65 of 110
Would you be able to measure inside the earcup by any chance?
Cheers!

Interior Dimensions:
2 3/4 High
1 3/4 Wide

Mine rest on my ear lobe but I can't tell that they are doing so.
These have a very premium weight feel, if that makes sense, yet they do not feel heavy on my head, if that makes sense. These pass the eyeglasses/sunglasses test with flying colors.

Last edited:
May 29, 2020 at 7:47 AM Post #66 of 110
Decided to pull the trigger and order the Aonic 50 (Adam Levine said so). En route and should be here tomorrow.

This is the WRONG forum for saving money.

I can’t wait for your review!

Along with @angelom and @Maukey and a few others, @hifi80sman please give us the run down on these, comparing them to the PX7 and i-O6 and whatever else. My main concern will always be SOUND, along with an on par feature package.

Cheers!

Last edited:
May 29, 2020 at 12:30 PM Post #67 of 110

Along with @angelom and @Maukey and a few others, @hifi80sman please give us the run down on these, comparing them to the PX7 and i-O6 and whatever else. My main concern will always be SOUND, along with an on par feature package.

Cheers!
The Shure Aonic 50 is currently my favorite overall Wireless ANC headphone. It does everything good to excellent. Comfort? Excellent. Sound? Excellent. Balanced and Very Musical. Not bass heavy, but tight and punchy. Very little difference in sound quality when switching between ANC Max, ANC Normal, and ANC Off. The higher the ANC, the more bass you get, but not at all drastic. It's very close in my opinion. Sounds excellent in passive mode with no power, something you can't say about most modern wireless ANC headphones. In my opinion, these can be used as regular studio headphones without power. Can also be used via USB with power on. Amazing sound ANC? Very Good. A step down from the Bose N700 and Sony 1000XM3, but better than the Momentum 3. I would say on the PX7's level. The PX7s have better passive isolation which helps their ANC. I think the Aonic 50 may have slightly stronger ANC. Don't have the PX7s anymore to direct compare. No cabin pressure feeling you get with other ANCs. Features? Very Good. Adjustable EQ in the App, Multipoint Bluetooth Pairing meaning you can connect to 2 devices at the same time, amazing awareness mode with adjustable level, voice prompts, etc. Battery Life? Good. Around 16 to 20 hours. Call Quality? Very Good. Second to the Bose N700 and tied with the Momentum 3. If it weren't for the Bose, I'd be amazed. Those I'm talking to says my voice sounds amazingly clear. Doesn't filter background noise as well as the Bose.

The Shure Aonic 50 are in my opinion the best sounding wireless ANC headphone on the market. I originally had it tied with my Dali iO-6, but after more usage and going back and forth, the Aonic gets the nod for 2 reasons, 1. better continuity of sound over all different listening modes (the iO-6 just doesn't sound good to me in passive mode. They also don't seal well, so for me, listening with ANC on is a must to accommodate for the lack of seal you get with the iO-6 or else I lose a lot of bass response), and 2. The iO-6 just don't get very loud at all. The Aonic plays a lot louder. Not that I listen to my music really loud all the time, but it's nice to have that headroom when desired.

When it comes to the PX7, it's a step down from the Aonic in every category but battery life, ANC, and features. The Aonic sounds much better in my opinion and is the more comfortable headphone. The Momentum 3 can only equal the Aonic on Call Quality. It gets smoked everywhere else in my opinion including battery life. The Momentum only got between 14 and 17 hours of battery during my time with them. I do still think the Bose N700 is the best business traveler headphone due to it's amazing mic/call quality and ANC. But for a do it all one stop shop of a wireless ANC headphone, it's the Aonic 50 in my book!

For the record, I've owned every wireless ANC headphone I've mentioned in this brief review. I've also owned many others.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2020 at 9:25 AM Post #68 of 110
Good luck with that.

I ordered them on Amazon Germany (sayin release on April 30th). Now they switched to June 20th...
Lets hope thats just a glitch and the are shipping in a few days.

You were/are right....

Next week has been next week throughout May, but has now changed to mid June. Yay...

Nearly bought the Dali i06 instead, but found them way too quiet.

Will wait. No choice!

Jun 7, 2020 at 1:55 PM Post #70 of 110

Cheers!
Purley for sound, I think the Shure Aonic 50 are the closest to wired I've heard wirelessly. Transparency and imaging are excellent, vocals shine through exceptionally well, and bass reproduction is textured & detailed, without becoming boomy or overly emphasized.

Aside from Amazon sending me the Brown version instead of the Black version I ordered, I found the ANC implementation was not as good as I was hoping. The sound signature just changed too much. I also thought the ANC on/off switch felt a little out of place for a $400 headphone. All-in-all, if you are looking for sound and don't mind a change in sound signature with ANC or just don't care about ANC, these are a winner.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2020 at 9:05 AM Post #71 of 110
Purley for sound, I think the Shure Aonic 50 are the closest to wired I've heard wirelessly. Transparency and imaging are excellent, vocals shine through exceptionally well, and bass reproduction is textured & detailed, without becoming boomy or overly emphasized.

Aside from Amazon sending me the Brown version instead of the Black version I ordered, I found the ANC implementation was not as good as I was hoping. The sound signature just changed too much. I also thought the ANC on/off switch felt a little out of place for a $400 headphone. All-in-all, if you are looking for sound and don't mind a change in sound signature with ANC or just don't care about ANC, these are a winner.

We need your extended review. Thanks.

Jun 12, 2020 at 1:08 AM Post #72 of 110
I just got mine from a local distributor to review. Here's an unboxing video for those who are interested.

Interesting circular box with legs so that it does not roll around.

Does anyone tried the connection to LDAC? I tried the AONIC 50 on OnePlus 8 Pro, Pixel 4XL, LG V30+ and the LDAC sound quality is astonishingly poor. Excessive buzzing sounds at high frequency, like saxophone. No improvement even when I tried to force Playback Quality to "Best" under the Developer settings. But the high frequency buzzing sound went away after I switched off HD Audio and it went to SBC codec (AAC on V30+). I was unable to force the Android phone to choose other HD codec, so I am kind of stuck. All my devices support LDAC so the headphones connect to the best codec.

Testing on firmware V0.4.1. No new firmware as of 12 June.

Jun 13, 2020 at 2:25 AM Post #74 of 110
I just got mine from a local distributor to review. Here's an unboxing video for those who are interested.

Interesting circular box with legs so that it does not roll around.

Does anyone tried the connection to LDAC? I tried the AONIC 50 on OnePlus 8 Pro, Pixel 4XL, LG V30+ and the LDAC sound quality is astonishingly poor. Excessive buzzing sounds at high frequency, like saxophone. No improvement even when I tried to force Playback Quality to "Best" under the Developer settings. But the high frequency buzzing sound went away after I switched off HD Audio and it went to SBC codec (AAC on V30+). I was unable to force the Android phone to choose other HD codec, so I am kind of stuck. All my devices support LDAC so the headphones connect to the best codec.

Testing on firmware V0.4.1. No new firmware as of 12 June.

Found the culprit. It's the Poweramp music app advanced audio output plugin setting that causes the glitch. The app offers several output plugins like OpenSL ES Output, Java based output (default) and Hi-Res Output. Apparently, this setting applies globally to all other audio players in the phone. Scary!

After I restored to defaults, the LDAC sounded very clean now. All's well. Now back to intense auditioning before I pen my review!

Jun 16, 2020 at 1:33 PM Post #75 of 110
Found the culprit. It's the Poweramp music app advanced audio output plugin setting that causes the glitch. The app offers several output plugins like OpenSL ES Output, Java based output (default) and Hi-Res Output. Apparently, this setting applies globally to all other audio players in the phone. Scary!

After I restored to defaults, the LDAC sounded very clean now. All's well. Now back to intense auditioning before I pen my review!
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/shure-aonic-50.931134/page-9#post-15681756

Users who are viewing this thread

Back