Shure AONIC 50 Headphones and AONIC 215 Earphones
Apr 9, 2020 at 2:55 AM Post #31 of 110
I'm a technician. I learned to not create assumptions without proof ☺. Anyway, product page should contain clear specifications including microphone and also bluetooth multipoint support.
This is what Shure support replied:
Hello,
The Aonic 50 headphones do integrate a microphone for phone calls, video conferencing, etc. It actually uses multiple microphones that work together to reduce background noise, as well as measuring continuous sounds in the environment for the active noise-cancelling feature.
Although they do not support multi-point pairing, the Aonic 50 can store connections for up to 8 Bluetooth devices. I will need to investigate exactly what the behavior is when a phone call comes in on a paired mobile phone while listening to music on a different device, however.
In the user guide it suggests that the headphones pair with previously connected devices when you power them on.
I'll let you know if I find anything more about pairing with multiple devices!

Apr 9, 2020 at 10:49 AM Post #32 of 110
In the passive mode, does it sound as good as srh 1540? Does aonic scale well on quality amplifiers? I love the sound of srh 1540 quite a lot but they are too bulky to use on the go. Thank you.
Unfortunately I have no experience with the 1540. The only amplifier I have is a portable one, the FiiO A3. It sounds amazing with that.

Apr 9, 2020 at 12:14 PM Post #33 of 110
I spent a pleasant evening watching movies with these. The sound is very natural with the noise cancellation set to Normal. The only nit I have now is that my ears get a bit warm after a while. Hopefully, someone comes along with an idea for breathable pads.

BTW, using these with a cable, non-powered, sounds very good, at least for closed cans. A bit disappointing that the cable uses a 2.5 mm plug, but that's what the Bose have, so its par for the course

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2020 at 4:44 PM Post #34 of 110
Updated Impressions:

Now that I've spent a few more hours with these, here's my updated impressions. First, I'll address a couple of minor issues I've noticed with these so far. They're what I call early adopter issues.

1) It's very difficult to update the firmware via the app in iOS. I was finally able to update the firmware after doing a couple of things within iOS. First, I had to prevent my phone from locking. Basically keep my screen always on. Second, I had to turn off all notifications. And finally, I had to keep my phone right next to my headphones. After doing these 3 things, I was finally able to complete the update although it still took a few tries. Hopefully Shure will provide an update that will fix this.

2) When switching from Environmental Mode to ANC Mode, sometimes the headphones get a boost in volume. It's weird because it doesn't happen every time. This isn't a big deal but thought I'd mention it because it's very noticeable when it happens. To be honest, I hope Shure fixes this and actually changes the default volume to the raised volume I get when this change happens. It would make these headphones as loud as the Beats Studio 3 which is the loudest ANC headphone I've heard. The current default volume is in line with the Momentums which is still good. Louder than my Dali iO-6 which are low in volume compared to most other ANC headphones.

Design/Looks/Build Quality
I love the design of these. I chose to go with the Brown color and the look is super classy. I love how the head band sits flush with my head. It doesn't bulge out on the sides like many headphones. These pass my wear out in public test with flying colors. The dark brown actually matches perfectly with my brown leather jacket :ksc75smile:. I won't get too much into build quality because to me, it's best rated over time when you can see how the build quality has held up. But I will say there's no squeaks, creeks, or noticeable defects of any kind.

Comfort
In short, these are the second most comfortable wireless headphones I have ever worn, second only to the Bose QC35 / Bose 700. They are right behind them with the Bose getting the slight edge only due to being lighter. The Sony 1000XM3 are really close to these in comfort as well. The Sonys are lighter, but I give these the slight nod as my ears don't heat up quite as much as they did with the Sonys. I love how the weight is distributed with the Aonics. There is literally NO pressure points at all. One of few headphones that I can forget I'm wearing. Now, we all have different head shapes and sizes so your mileage may vary.

Features
Let's see. Supports multiple codecs including Qualcomm aptX, aptX HD, aptX Low Latency audio, Sony LDAC, AAC, and SBC, there's an environmental/awareness mode, 2 levels of ANC, the ability to be paired to two devices at the same time, an App that has an EQ and firmware updates, 20 hour battery life, passive wired listening that sounds amazing, and active USBC listening which is mind blowing as well. What's there to really complain about? But seriously, the Environmental/Awareness mode on this is the best I've heard yet on a wireless ANC headphone even surpassing the Apple Airpods Pro. This is honestly my favorite feature of these headphones. There's 10 levels to the awareness mode. 10 basically enhances your hearing. Makes everything loud and clear. If you're not a fan of this digital enhancement as some aren't, you can stick with the default mode which is the halfway point or 5, it makes the awareness mode more natural in the way you hear. I personally use 8 out of 10 most of the time. The only thing I haven't tested yet is whether these have an auto ANC activation if there's a sudden loud noise like the Sony XM3 has. I currently only have 2 complaints with the features. First, I wish you could manage the devices you're connected to via the app. This was my complaint with the Sennheiser Momentum as well until they updated this via an app update. I'm hoping Shure does the same thing. This is my favorite feature in the Bose 700 and B&W PX7. It's so easy to manage your bluetooth connections without having to be near the devices you're connected to. And second, it would be nice if there was a quick attention mode of some sort like the Sony 1000XM3 has. This is not a big deal because with the Aonics, it's just a flip of a switch on the headphone to go into awareness mode. It's still worth mentioning though that there's technically no quick attention mode as many love this about the Sonys.

ANC
I will hold out giving my full impressions on this category as due to this World's current circumstances, I'm stuck at home. I will say that from what I hear when I turn the ANC on Max with no music playing, there appears to be a pretty strong ANC present albeit with a noticeable hiss. Switch the ANC to normal, it's still effective with no hiss. I'm only using normal since I'm at home. Normal + anything playing at a low volume and my house is pretty much silent. The ANC on these are definitely stronger than the Sennheiser Momentums, Dali iO-6, Beats Studio 3, and B&W PX7. Not sure yet how they stack up to the two leaders in the Bose 700 and Sony 1000XM3. I'll need to test these in a really noisy environment. When I get a chance, I'll blast an Action Movie with my Soundbar and Sub and see how effective Max is with that. I do remember the Sonys and Bose made it quiet as a mouse.

Sound
My initial impressions still hold true. These are Studio Quality headphones in a Wireless ANC package. Best way to describe the sound is detailed, transparent, and neutral with a slight emphasis in the highs. Depending on your hearing/sensitivity, this can be a good or bad thing. For me, it's a welcome change to the warm, bassy with rolled off highs wireless headphones that are flooding the market today. In a word, these are truly remarkable. To my ears, the bass is neutral throughout the range, mids are clear, detailed and present, and the highs have an ever so slight sizzle. Instrument separation and imaging is excellent. Tops for the class. Soundstage for a wireless ANC headphone is probably second only to the Dali iO-6 which sounds slightly more hollow when going back and forth between the two. I'm still going back and forth between these and the Dalis, but can say for certain that these are top 2 with the Dalis for my favorite sounding wireless ANC headphones. These two headphones are truly a step above the rest in my opinion. Again, this is my opinion based on my preference for neutrality and detail. If you like your music presented in a more exciting fashion with still good detail, I'd recommend the Sennheiser Momentums.

As far as listening in different modes go, there's little to no difference when listening passively, powered with ANC off, and powered with ANC on normal. Truly a remarkable feat in my opinion. If you put the ANC on Max, you lose some clarity, volume, and sound stage, which in my experience is par for the course with most wireless ANC headphones. Listening via USB mode with the USBC cable gives a slight increase in everything including volume. I've used this method of listening the least so I'll hold off on giving any details.

And lastly, I believe someone asked about the frequency response when listening with glasses. I have very thin frames only because of my headphone hobby, but even in that, most wireless ANC headphones have sound quality adjustments when dealing with glasses. The Aonics are actually really good when it comes to consistency with my glasses. They're still not quite as good as the Momentums and Sony XM3 which have the most consistent listening experiences I've heard, but they are better than most. When I put on my glasses I notice an ever so slight drop in bass. No where near the drop you get with the Dalis. No more than 3 or 4 dbs in my opinion. The rest of the spectrum stays consistent which is excellent. I actually don't mind using these with my glasses on. The drop off is not enough to annoy me. I mainly notice it on the lower sub bass notes that create a slight rumble in the cups. I lose some of that feeling with my glasses on. It's still nice to feel like I don't have to hook my glasses arms over the ear cups to still enjoy the sound.

Mic Quality
I've literally only taken two calls with this so I have no comment as of yet. According to the current reviews out, the mic is top notch. SoundGuys put it in the same class as the Bose 700 which I find hard to believe. The two callers I've talked to did say I sounded clear and they couldn't tell I was on a headset, but it was completely quiet in the background too.

More to come. Feel free to ask any questions and I'll respond as soon as I can.

Apr 9, 2020 at 5:44 PM Post #35 of 110
Really nice impressions man. Thanks a lot for that. Now I just have to wait until they're available in Germany... (Amazon says 30.04.)

Just two question:

Does environmental mode kick in when taking calls? So you don't talk too loud due to passive noise reduction/ANC? Or anything similar happening?

Although they do not support multi-point pairing, the Aonic 50 can store connections for up to 8 Bluetooth devices.
As Shure wrote in an e-mail (a few posts above), but you said they have multi-pairing?

Apr 10, 2020 at 9:47 AM Post #36 of 110
Really nice impressions man. Thanks a lot for that. Now I just have to wait until they're available in Germany... (Amazon says 30.04.)

Just two question:

Does environmental mode kick in when taking calls? So you don't talk too loud due to passive noise reduction/ANC? Or anything similar happening?

As Shure wrote in an e-mail (a few posts above), but you said they have multi-pairing?
No, environmental mode doesn't kick in. Whatever mode you're in is what you get when you answer or engage in a call. However, it's the flip of a switch on the headphone to go into environmental mode if you aren't already.

To your second question, I'm not sure what Shure support was talking about. There's no question there's multi-pairing unless being connected to both my iPhone and iPad right now at as we speak is not considered multi-pairing :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:. Maybe support wasn't clear on what you were talking about.

Apr 10, 2020 at 1:06 PM Post #37 of 110
Thanks for the infos.

And ye, even it is wasn't me communicating with them, they didn't seem to be capable. Their quoted response felt like they didn't even try alot of features on themselves yet. :wink:

Apr 10, 2020 at 2:19 PM Post #38 of 110
I explained the use case as detailed as I could. See my mail and new, more detailed answer from Shure support. I'm curious if any Aonic owner can repeat this test with better results.

To: support@shure.com
Description: Re: AONIC 50 questions:

Thanks for clarification. As you write, I’d like to know exact behavior in the situation when I’m on Teams or Skype call on notebook and my phone rings. Currently, with my wired headset, it’s quite disturbing as I have to proceed series of actions:
  • mute microphone via software button in conferencing application
  • put headset down, avoid tangled wires
  • pick up the call
  • end the call
  • put headset on
  • unmute microphone
Ideal scenario with Bluetooth multipoint would be to accept call on headset, which should automatically switch device to phone. After phone call ends, then automatically (or manually) switch to notebook.

Answer:
Hello,​
Thanks for your patience. I was able to do a brief test with the Aonic 50 that's paired both to my work laptop PC and my personal iPhone.​
I participated in a Microsoft Teams meeting on the PC using the Aonic 50 headphones and called my personal phone from a different number. The incoming call rang in the Aonic 50 headphones, interrupting the meeting audio, but when I answered my personal phone the audio switched back to the meeting. This demonstrates that the Aonic 50 can be paired to multiple devices, but does not support multi-point pairing.​
It's possible that a future firmware update will improve this, but at this time the Aonic 50 doesn't work in the ideal scenario you described earlier. The Shure RMCE-BT2 cable used with our earphones should work in this fashion, however.​
Thanks,​

Apr 12, 2020 at 12:55 AM Post #39 of 110
Any ear fatigues?

Apr 12, 2020 at 2:41 PM Post #40 of 110
Any ear fatigues?
Not for me and my head shape. I’ve worn these a straight 8 hours while working and forgot I had them on. The only other headphones I can say that about are the Bose QC35/700, and Sony 1000XM3 although my ears can feel warm in the Sonys if it’s warm in my environment.

Apr 12, 2020 at 2:46 PM Post #41 of 110
How does the sound compare to the 700's and the Sony's? I am torn between this, 700, and B&O H9's.

Apr 12, 2020 at 2:55 PM Post #42 of 110
How does the sound compare to the 700's and the Sony's? I am torn between this, 700, and B&O H9's.
In my opinion, these are step above the 700s and Sonys assuming you’re speaking of the 1000XM3. It’s been a while since I’ve heard the B&O H9s, but I wasn’t a fan of those personally although many love the sound. For wireless anc headphones, my top 5 are:

1a) Dali iO-6
1b) Shure Aonic 50
3) NAD Viso HP70
4a) B&W PX7
4b) Sennheiser Momentum 3

Honorable Mentions: Bose N700, Beats Solo Pro, Sony H.ear On 2, Beats Studio 3

Apr 18, 2020 at 5:09 PM Post #43 of 110
Hi all. First time writing here.

Loving my Sennheiser's Momentum True Wireless from a while, thanks to the wisdom of this fantastic forum.

I got hooked and now I'm looking for a great sounding/good ANC wireless headphones.
Tried the Momentum 3. Someone here compared them to a muscle car: beautiful sensations but not very practical. I couldn't specify better. They resulted "clumsy" and uncomfortable to me, and the protuberance in the inner of the cans (a protection for a mic or sensor) ended up hurting my ears.
I had to return them.
On the other hand, the ANC, being too much light, was zero intrusive, so almost acceptable. And the leather, the very accurate environmental mode, and that stellar sound were sooooo pleasant...
Now I own a PXC 550 II. Very practical, very light (¿maybe micro-usb port is for lightness?), and with a strong ANC in my experience almost on par with the Bose N700 in lows and better in mids. Very recommendable in my opinion.
BUT I miss and desire that lost enjoyability and pleasure.

The PX7 seem to be a good all trader but not so refined, and the Dali IO6 seem to have stellar sound but lack in usability and ANC.

So the release of the Shure AONIC 50 has been music for my ears (never better said).
Would you give your impressions compared to the PX7 and Dalis regarding this?
  • ANC strength and pressure in normal mode
  • Mic quality
  • Sound quality and signature
  • Overall impression.
Thank you.

Apr 19, 2020 at 1:16 PM Post #44 of 110
Hello Everyone,

First thing, since I have three pairs of headphones I am testing against each other right now if anyone wants me to compare them in a certain way I haven’t thought about just let me know. I got them about a week ago and this is my first time posting and comparing headphones in this way. I am an amateur closet musician ha, so no pro advice really.

I am testing the Beyerdynamic Lagoon ANC, Sony 1000XM3, and Shure AONIC 50s right now. I am in my second year of medical school and since we are studying at home 100% now I need absolute quiet - I have four children under 8!

So far, I am not a big fan of the Lagoons - to glitchy with the on off switch not working all the time. The sound is great with solid noise canceling though. I really really want to like these headphones but just can’t. I cannot get the Lagoons to charge with a straight USB-C cable either. I have to use a USB-A to USB-C cable to charge it. This is annoying when you are on a MacBook with no USB-A ports! I have to use my older computer to plug into or the wall. No idea why it will not recognize that cable. Also, this is extremely annoying. The left ear has a spring or something that makes a creaking sound when I open my mouth. So the construction of the Lagoons is not what I would expect since it squeaks when the headset moves slightly in a lateral direction. I contacted Beyerdynamic about it but haven’t heard back yet. I have the DT880s and those are amazing, so I expected a lot more from this company. When I purchased these three headphones I expected to favor the Lagoons but that didn’t happen at all.

The Sony 1000XM3s don’t sound as good as the Lagoons but the noise canceling is better. There is an odd hiss coming from the right headphone only when ANC is on. So, if you aren’t listening to music with ANC on then the left is silent but there is a hiss on the right. Not sure if defect and I haven’t contacted company yet about it. I don’t know why but I just don’t enjoy these headphones that much. After wearing the Lagoons and AONICs I just didn’t care to even try the 1000 XM3s. It isn’t that they are inferior or anything. I still haven’t put my finger down on that feeling towards them. All I can think is that the user experience isn’t as exciting. I really really like the look of the AONIC 50s and the feel of them. The XM3s just feel ho-hum or something.

The AONIC 50s are rock solid, look killer, and I like that the headphone joints are more stiff compared to the others. The XM3 and Lagoons just feel floppy and rotate too easily for me. I like that the AONIC 50s are stiffer and hold their shape when you take them off. They rotate easily but just feel more solid. I can connect to both my MacBook Pro and iPhone at the same time, but I have to reconnect the Bluetooth to my MacBook after a call takes the audio to my phone. The AONICs wont swap back and forth easily between the devices. Could be something about my setup - not sure. After the call is over, I have to turn off the Bluetooth on my phone to get the headphones to come back to the MacBook. I also have the SE846s with BT2 and they dynamically swap between devices with no problem at all. I was wearing the SE846s too long though and got sore ears - that’s why I am testing over the ear headphones now. Since the BT2 works just fine and these don’t I am not sure if that leans more to a bug in the AONICs or not.

The AONIC 50s feel expensive, the Lagoons feel a little cheap, and the 1000XM3 don’t feel as nice as the AONIC 50 but better than the Lagoons. I can wear the AONIC 50 for a long time (6 hours) and my ears get a little warm but not bad. The sound quality is great. I don’t have that great of an ear but I would say the AONIC 50s are competing with the Lagoons for sound while the 1000XM3 were not as good as those two. I am studying too much to really dive into a sound test though. In comparing audio quality I would need to listen to the Lagoons and AONICs more.

The call quality with the AONIC 50s is fantastic. I have the Presonus Studio 26c and a CAD e300 condensor Mic. When I was on FaceTime with my brother on the MacBook Pro (not using a phone) he couldn’t tell the difference in voice quality when I swapped from the AONICs to the condensor mic. That really surprised me but I don’t understand if FaceTime degrades audio quality for the call so it was not a pure test but the person on the other side couldn’t tell. So that says a lot for call quality. I need to do a sound recording test with each though.

I really like the buttons on the AONIC 50. I don’t like the touch sensors on the other headphones and prefer real buttons. The AONIC 50 does not have a touchpad and the buttons feel nice and solid with good response. The XM3s buttons were good but too gentle for me if that makes sense. I hate the Lagoons buttons. The on off switch was completely unreliable. In regards to the touch sensitive controls on XM3 and Lagoon, they work well but I don’t like that feature. I always found my self accidentally changing songs or pausing when I touched the headphones for other brands, so I am biased to dislike touch sensitive.

Once you plug in the charger to the Lagoons they turn off. You can listen to the AONIC 50s with the USB-C cable plugged in. I have not tested the headphones while plugged in with a wire because I will never use them that way.

If you are considering the three, my recommendation is to get the AONIIC 50s and you wont be disappointed. The XM3 seem to have the best noise canceling but I wan’t able to really pinpoint how the XM3 compared to the AONICs - they are close in noise canceling ability and I don’t have time to really setup an experiment. When comparing the XM3 to the Lagoons the XM3 were noticebly better at reducing sound. With music on they were the same though. With my home situation having four kids running around all day I have to use noise canceling with music to get quiet and be able to focus. The SE846 with custom in ear sleeves are my best option but the in ear soreness started up after wearing them for a week straight about 10 hours a day!

While testing, I found myself wearing the AONIC 50s longer and not really wanting to test against the other two anymore. So, I eventually gravitated to only using the AONIC 50s after a few days of swapping them out without really realizing it. I ended up finishing up one night and thinking ”Wow, I wore the AONICs almost the whole day.” So, take that for what it is worth. I didn’t plan on selecting one pair and wanted to do a 6 day long thorough test of swapping them out. So far, I plan on returning the Lagoons - the on off switch is not reliable and it takes several attempts to get them on sometimes. Also, the left ear creaks when I open and close my mouth which can be heard when listening to music with ANC turned on of course. I plan on returning the XM3s because of the odd hissing noise in the right headphone with ANC turned on. I can sometimes hear this hiss when listening to music at a lower volume. At first, I kept wondering what was making that noise in my room. So, it was distracting. The only complaint I have about the AONIC 50s is that it doesn’t keep a solid Bluetooth connection to my MacBook Pro and iPhone at the same time. It will pick up audio from the computer, but then will not reconnect to the computer easily after the iPhone sends an audio signal and it swaps over automatically. Not a big deal, will probably fixed by firmware update (I am going to contact them to see what they say). AONIC is my favorite.

I really appreciate this forum and have used it a lot to help me make audio decisions.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2020 at 3:06 AM Post #45 of 110
Hello Everyone,

First thing, since I have three pairs of headphones I am testing against each other right now if anyone wants me to compare them in a certain way I haven’t thought about just let me know. I got them about a week ago and this is my first time posting and comparing headphones in this way. I am an amateur closet musician ha, so no pro advice really.

I am testing the Beyerdynamic Lagoon ANC, Shure 1000XM3, and Shure AONIC 50s right now. I am in my second year of medical school and since we are studying at home 100% now I need absolute quiet - I have four children under 8!

So far, I am not a big fan of the Lagoons - to glitchy with the on off switch not working all the time. The sound is great with solid noise canceling though. I really really want to like these headphones but just can’t. I cannot get the Lagoons to charge with a straight USB-C cable either. I have to use a USB-A to USB-C cable to charge it. This is annoying when you are on a MacBook with no USB-A ports! I have to use my older computer to plug into or the wall. No idea why it will not recognize that cable. Also, this is extremely annoying. The left ear has a spring or something that makes a creaking sound when I open my mouth. So the construction of the Lagoons is not what I would expect since it squeaks when the headset moves slightly in a lateral direction. I contacted Beyerdynamic about it but haven’t heard back yet. I have the DT880s and those are amazing, so I expected a lot more from this company. When I purchased these three headphones I expected to favor the Lagoons but that didn’t happen at all.

The Sony 1000XM3s don’t sound as good as the Lagoons but the noise canceling is better. There is an odd hiss coming from the right headphone only when ANC is on. So, if you aren’t listening to music with ANC on then the left is silent but there is a hiss on the right. Not sure if defect and I haven’t contacted company yet about it. I don’t know why but I just don’t enjoy these headphones that much. After wearing the Lagoons and AONICs I just didn’t care to even try the 1000 XM3s. It isn’t that they are inferior or anything. I still haven’t put my finger down on that feeling towards them. All I can think is that the user experience isn’t as exciting. I really really like the look of the AONIC 50s and the feel of them. The XM3s just feel ho-hum or something.

The AONIC 50s are rock solid, look killer, and I like that the headphone joints are more stiff compared to the others. The XM3 and Lagoons just feel floppy and rotate too easily for me. I like that the AONIC 50s are stiffer and hold their shape when you take them off. They rotate easily but just feel more solid. I can connect to both my MacBook Pro and iPhone at the same time, but I have to reconnect the Bluetooth to my MacBook after a call takes the audio to my phone. The AONICs wont swap back and forth easily between the devices. Could be something about my setup - not sure. After the call is over, I have to turn off the Bluetooth on my phone to get the headphones to come back to the MacBook. I also have the SE846s with BT2 and they dynamically swap between devices with no problem at all. I was wearing the SE846s too long though and got sore ears - that’s why I am testing over the ear headphones now. Since the BT2 works just fine and these don’t I am not sure if that leans more to a bug in the AONICs or not.

The AONIC 50s feel expensive, the Lagoons feel a little cheap, and the 1000XM3 don’t feel as nice as the AONIC 50 but better than the Lagoons. I can wear the AONIC 50 for a long time (6 hours) and my ears get a little warm but not bad. The sound quality is great. I don’t have that great of an ear but I would say the AONIC 50s are competing with the Lagoons for sound while the 1000XM3 were not as good as those two. I am studying too much to really dive into a sound test though. In comparing audio quality I would need to listen to the Lagoons and AONICs more.

The call quality with the AONIC 50s is fantastic. I have the Presonus Studio 26c and a CAD e300 condensor Mic. When I was on FaceTime with my brother on the MacBook Pro (not using a phone) he couldn’t tell the difference in voice quality when I swapped from the AONICs to the condensor mic. That really surprised me but I don’t understand if FaceTime degrades audio quality for the call so it was not a pure test but the person on the other side couldn’t tell. So that says a lot for call quality. I need to do a sound recording test with each though.

I really like the buttons on the AONIC 50. I don’t like the touch sensors on the other headphones and prefer real buttons. The AONIC 50 does not have a touchpad and the buttons feel nice and solid with good response. The XM3s buttons were good but too gentle for me if that makes sense. I hate the Lagoons buttons. The on off switch was completely unreliable. In regards to the touch sensitive controls on XM3 and Lagoon, they work well but I don’t like that feature. I always found my self accidentally changing songs or pausing when I touched the headphones for other brands, so I am biased to dislike touch sensitive.

Once you plug in the charger to the Lagoons they turn off. You can listen to the AONIC 50s with the USB-C cable plugged in. I have not tested the headphones while plugged in with a wire because I will never use them that way.

If you are considering the three, my recommendation is to get the AONIIC 50s and you wont be disappointed. The XM3 seem to have the best noise canceling but I wan’t able to really pinpoint how the XM3 compared to the AONICs - they are close in noise canceling ability and I don’t have time to really setup an experiment. When comparing the XM3 to the Lagoons the XM3 were noticebly better at reducing sound. With music on they were the same though. With my home situation having four kids running around all day I have to use noise canceling with music to get quiet and be able to focus. The SE846 with custom in ear sleeves are my best option but the in ear soreness started up after wearing them for a week straight about 10 hours a day!

While testing, I found myself wearing the AONIC 50s longer and not really wanting to test against the other two anymore. So, I eventually gravitated to only using the AONIC 50s after a few days of swapping them out without really realizing it. I ended up finishing up one night and thinking ”Wow, I wore the AONICs almost the whole day.” So, take that for what it is worth. I didn’t plan on selecting one pair and wanted to do a 6 day long thorough test of swapping them out. So far, I plan on returning the Lagoons - the on off switch is not reliable and it takes several attempts to get them on sometimes. Also, the left ear creaks when I open and close my mouth which can be heard when listening to music with ANC turned on of course. I plan on returning the XM3s because of the odd hissing noise in the right headphone with ANC turned on. I can sometimes hear this hiss when listening to music at a lower volume. At first, I kept wondering what was making that noise in my room. So, it was distracting. The only complaint I have about the AONIC 50s is that it doesn’t keep a solid Bluetooth connection to my MacBook Pro and iPhone at the same time. It will pick up audio from the computer, but then will not reconnect to the computer easily after the iPhone sends an audio signal and it swaps over automatically. Not a big deal, will probably fixed by firmware update (I am going to contact them to see what they say). AONIC is my favorite.

I really appreciate this forum and have used it a lot to help me make audio decisions.
Great review! I was quite tempted by AONIC 50, but this problem with pairing to two devices holds me from ordering. Your observation confirms what Shure support answered to me, see Post #38 of 44 Hopefully they can solve it with firmware, as I don't see any reason why modern BT chips can't do that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back