Shure announcing new SRH1540 in Tokyo today! - Head-Fi TV
Dec 19, 2013 at 6:29 PM Post #377 of 493
  I definitely have to order an extra set of Alpha pads! LOL

Yes! They definitely sound sooo much better, too!
wink_face.gif

Dec 25, 2013 at 5:52 AM Post #382 of 493
How does the Shure SRH 1540 sound in comparison to the B&W P5 and P7?

Dec 27, 2013 at 11:01 PM Post #383 of 493
:)

They are ALMOST crossing into Basshead territory really! LOL. But I don't mind of course. I think the rest of the spectrum is handled pretty well and it has that un-offensive, laid-back kind of signature a lot of people would like. Still not sure if I'll keep them because overall I like them but I already have my bassy+tamed headphones.

Do you recommend these over Alpha Dogs if I'm looking for a bit of a bass boost? I have the Shure 750 DJs, and like the amount of bass in those. I wouldn't touch the bass adjuster on the Alpha Dogs, so I just mean stock. I'm looking for something "fun", and mostly accurate. Does the bass on these ruin anything for you?

Dec 28, 2013 at 12:00 PM Post #384 of 493
Do you recommend these over Alpha Dogs if I'm looking for a bit of a bass boost? I have the Shure 750 DJs, and like the amount of bass in those. I wouldn't touch the bass adjuster on the Alpha Dogs, so I just mean stock. I'm looking for something "fun", and mostly accurate. Does the bass on these ruin anything for you?

Hello.
Overall, No, I don't prefer the 1540s over the Alpha Dogs.
My review: http://www.head-fi.org/products/mrspeakers-alpha-dog-t50rp-mod/reviews/10136

I think the 1540s mid-bass is just a bit too bloated and if the song is really bassy, lower mids suffer. They are indeed fun, with very good mids and imaging though but if you want more accurate, the Alpha Dogs would be the way to go. Of course, you could also try the Mad Dogs. I feel they were bassier than the Alphas and the overall sound is very very good and accurate. It lacks a bit of air up top but other than that, they could do the job. Remember though that they need power to shine... :wink:

Dec 28, 2013 at 1:26 PM Post #385 of 493
Put some alpha pads on the 1540 and that bloated bass goes away. Bass emphasis remains the same... just with better quality.

While you say the Alpha has better quality bass... he may feel it to be a bit anemic if he's coming from something bassy like the 750DJs.

Dec 28, 2013 at 5:10 PM Post #386 of 493
Hello.
My review: http://www.head-fi.org/products/mrspeakers-alpha-dog-t50rp-mod/reviews/10136

I think the 1540s mid-bass is just a bit too bloated and if the song is really bassy, lower mids suffer. They are indeed fun, with very good mids and imaging though but if you want more accurate, the Alpha Dogs would be the way to go. Of course, you could also try the Mad Dogs. I feel they were bassier than the Alphas and the overall sound is very very good and accurate. It lacks a bit of air up top but other than that, they could do the job. Remember though that they need power to shine... :wink:
the sole reason I didn't go for the alpha "yet" is I realize I don't have the amplification it would need for it to shine, as it is more reference sounding than "fun".

Dec 28, 2013 at 7:35 PM Post #387 of 493

Hello.

the sole reason I didn't go for the alpha "yet" is I realize I don't have the amplification it would need for it to shine, as it is more reference sounding than "fun".

Glad to see I'm not alone in this.  My current lifestyle just doesn't allow for a $$ home setup.  I'm not necessarily looking for "portable" as I am TRANS-portable.  The SRH1540 won't be traveling with me (too big), but for the money (thanks to earphone solutions' Cyber Monday deal), they were a bargain.  I am enjoying them very much.  I even use my portable/transportable setup (RWAK100 > Rx MKIII-B) when I am home (I like to move around, from the kitchen to home office to patio).  If/when I see myself living a more sedentary lifestyle, a "proper" home set-up will be in the works.  I go the Dedicated Source & full-size Headphone Amp forums & just drool.  I'm resigned to the fact I have to live w/ various tradeoffs w/ a trans/portable rig.  And I'm only willing to spend so much $$ for incremental improvements in this space.

Dec 28, 2013 at 10:51 PM Post #389 of 493
Hello.

What about the 1540s vs the Mad Dogs? I realized that with international shipping and everything, the Alpha Dogs are way too expensive for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back