Shure Announces Lightning Terminated IEM Cable @ CES 2017
Jan 27, 2017 at 3:22 PM Post #16 of 82
came across this site that has avaiability listed as of the 17/02 
https://www.thomann.de/gb/shure_rmce_ltg.htm

Not sure of they are parking the date...
Do you guys think this will also come in the clear see through cable?

Apr 24, 2017 at 10:49 AM Post #17 of 82
While Shure's price for the RMCE cable (not the lighting cable) is $29.99, which translates,
if we add, say %10 local tax, to be fair, to 120 Israeli Shekel, the local Shure dealer
here in Israel, Giveon Electronics, wants 260 Israeli Shekel's for this same cable, which is,
in todays currency worth $71 (this is the same price as they charge for the usual
replacement cable for the SE series!)

http://www.giveon.co.il/info.asp?id=2702&category=072_081_104_

Now, Shure, does not allow sending such cables to Israel, so forget about buying it
on Amazon, or in B&H, I guess due to the rights that the local importer here has. This is
taking 110% more on the product, even when assuming an unusual high US
local tax of 10%. Yes, the local importer prices it at 215% of
the Shure MSRP!!!

I wonder if Shure is aware of the huge margin of costs of some of its products in Israel.
I wish someone from Shure would read this post and would consequently allow their excellent
products to be shipped to Israel to avoid the people here being subjected to this amazing
pricing.

Apr 25, 2017 at 3:08 AM Post #18 of 82
I order these from a local retailer. They have to back order it from Shure, so won't be getting it until 12th of May, and the price seems rather high compared to the "regular" RMCE. I had to pay 990 NOK + shipping, that's 116 USD + shipping. The regular RMCE is "only" 65 USD + shipping so basically half the price. Yeah, these prices seems inflated by the fact that we have very few Shure retailers in Norway. The "regular" RMCE is retailing for only 30 USD on Shure's very own site which again is under half the price of the same cable here in Norway. It doesn't seem like the Norwegian retailers are selling the same cable either, the "regular" RCME you see on Shure's website look different from the one I can get here in Norway. I suspect it's an older model? The good thing about the Lightning version is that it's not nearly as overpriced as the regular RCME with only a premium of about 17 USD, whereas the regular one is not only costing over twice the amount compared to the US-prices but it's not even the same cable.

I do understand that the Lightning version has to cost more due to two factors, first and foremost Shure has to integrate a DAC+amp combo directly into the cable. That will add to the cost, not only because the DAC+amp costs money but it also makes the cables harder to produce. They also have to pay Apple a licensing fee for using the Lightning cable and to go through Apple's "MFI" certification process in order to be able to label it as "certified" or whatever. How much that adds to the cost I have no clue. As they are already using the "Made for iPhone, iPad and iPod" logo on their website it confirms the fact that they've went through the MFI certification process.

But it's three times as expensive compared to the regular one. That's a steep premium to pay. I bet Shure is pricing it higher just because they can. They know the demographic for this cable and they figure they can't have a higher margin on such a cable as a result. But with this price I expect the quality to be top-notch. The cable itself shouldn't feel any worse in terms of coating and quality compared to the EAC46CLS and EAC64CLS that came with my Shure SE846, there should be next to none microphonic noise from the cable and the microphone should actually be half-decent which is rarely the case with such cables.

Apr 29, 2017 at 7:21 PM Post #19 of 82
I was so glad I did not have to toss my expensive 535 in ear phones when I saw this cable came available, and finally received it today. But major bummer: they are unusable! My iPhone 7 works wit this cable for exactly 5 second, then I get a pop-up "accessory not supported", and it switches to speakerphone after a couple of seconds. Tried it on my wife's iPhone 7, same result. Updated my iPhone to latest iOS version 10.3.1 (it was one version behind), same result. So total waste of money! Don't buy it until solved! Thinking about selling my 535's on eBay...

May 12, 2017 at 8:43 PM Post #20 of 82
Emdek, I just looked at B&Hs web site. They now list an estimated availability date of Summer (instead of previously stated Spring) 2017. They either sold out of the cables or Shure requires more time to correct the technical difficulties.

May 13, 2017 at 4:05 AM Post #21 of 82
I bought mine at Musicstore.de, they still have lots in stock. But the product is useless in combination with my iPhone 7 and the SE535, it works for 5 seconds after which you get the "this accessory is not supported" pop-up. Musicstore doesn't reply to my messages, terrible support. I just registered a support call at Shure itself, let's see what happens next. Until then: don't buy it!
Oh btw: the online manual says " the cable firmware is upgradable with the Shure app", no link though. I found the same info on an Asian site, stating you can use the "Shureplus Motiv app" to upgrade the RMCE LTG cable. Tried it, no firmware upgrade option anywhere. And same problem, the app combined with the cable works, I can record about 5 seconds before the pop up appears and the cable stops functioning.
Musicstore.de doesn't reply to my messages, terrible support. I just registered a support call at Shure itself, let's see what happens next. Until then: don't buy it! (yet).

May 13, 2017 at 10:23 AM Post #22 of 82
Musicstore.de obviously(?) should resolve the issue by refunding your money Emdek. Why should you be stuck with a premature release? I pre-ordered the AAW Capri MMCX DAC lightning cable. It was suppose to deliver in March but company said that components for Apple MFI was delayed. They already have ready a proprietary app for downloading firmware upgrades. Very disappointed to hear of the poor service you are receiving. Hope it is resolved shortly.

May 15, 2017 at 3:35 PM Post #23 of 82
Well, Musicstore did send me a return form (after 3 reminders), no accompanying text in the email. I'm gonna send it back and ask for a replacement, since I really like my Shure SE535 in-ear headphones, and was hoping the DAC in the Shure cable would be of higher quality then the dongle Apple sells. If the second one also fails I will ask for a refund.

May 18, 2017 at 2:17 PM Post #24 of 82
Sounds reasonable to me Emdek. Shure's USA web site is showing the cable available even though for a recent brief moment they changed availability to Summer 2017. As much as I would 'love' to order the cable, after hearing of your experience Emdek, I'd rather wait until production is well under way. Besides, I pre-ordered the AAW Capri version. I hope that AAW doesn't release it prematurely.

May 18, 2017 at 3:20 PM Post #25 of 82
Sounds reasonable to me Emdek. Shure's USA web site is showing the cable available even though for a recent brief moment they changed availability to Summer 2017. As much as I would 'love' to order the cable, after hearing of your experience Emdek, I'd rather wait until production is well under way. Besides, I pre-ordered the AAW Capri version. I hope that AAW doesn't release it prematurely.

Well, I'm in contact with a reseller about the AAW Capri cable too, I'm going to order them just in case the second Shure cable fails also. The AAW cables or in production at this moment, should take about 3 to 4 weeks they assured me. We'll see... Keep you posted.

May 24, 2017 at 5:56 PM Post #26 of 82
I just got mine from B & H today. They seem to work fine - very clear. They also seem to use a bit more power than with the Apple adapter.

I also have the capri cable on order too, so we'll see when those come in!

Last edited:
May 24, 2017 at 7:46 PM Post #27 of 82
That's great Vaerie. I'm eagerly awaiting the Capri but I am very tempted by the Shure. It might be too soon to fully assess the sound quality but can you advise how the well the cable fits over the ear compared to the original cable?

May 28, 2017 at 8:33 AM Post #28 of 82
My impulse purchases are costing me big time:triportsad:. I bought the Shure cable but have not yet opened the box. The original Shure MMCX cable is notorious for the level of difficulty it takes to remove. Long story short...cable and right earphone damaged.

Moral of the story: Be extremely careful when removing the cable from Shure earphones.

May 30, 2017 at 8:14 AM Post #29 of 82
I'm lucky to have had no problem with the rmce-ltg at all. After about 2 weeks my impression is the same, impressed with the DAC, so much details and totally effortless sound. I still haven't got used to the "sound" though, it is different from the original cable, clearer but less charming.

I also got myself a new cable for normal plug from Furutech, very basic cable and it works...

The original cable has a nice sound
The RMCE-LTG has a less charming sound but the DAC makes it a winner
The Furutech "upgrade" is very basic and can be used if necessary...

I'll give the LTG a few more weeks to hear what happens.

I had no prob with the dreaded accessory warning, i am all updated and don't know if that can help? (That warning comes when i try another accessory so i know how annoying it is)
I am impressed with the seaming between iPhone7 and RMCE-LTG
/Joakim

May 30, 2017 at 11:19 AM Post #30 of 82
Thank you for the review Joakim. My first impression is similar to yours. I do however have several issues. This cable feels substantial but is quite shorter than the original and the iPhone control and lightning connector sleeve are made of really cheap, hard plastic. Given that this discussion is about the Shure RMCE-LTG, I will restrain myself from going into details how cheaply made the SE series earphones are.

When plugging in for the first time, a message from Shure appeared on the screen of my iPhone directing that the Shure Motiv (recording) and the third-party Hammerhead (EQ) apps be downloaded from the App Store. The later app is non-functional. Not sure if either app is capable of allowing firmware upgrades as the forthcoming AAW Capri cable promises. A multi-national warranty was included in the box but no other documentation was provided. No mention is made on the box or Shure website that the RMCE-LTG is MFI certified.

My 846s had to be replaced after they were damaged whime attempting to remove the original cable. Not sure if there was a slight design change to the earphones or in the new cable but the process seems far easier. Given the circumstances, neither cable or earphones have been sufficiently burned-in. Nevertheless, the initial impression of the combined iPhone and RMCE-LTG is positive. (For reference, I use the default balanced nozzles). An eclectic mix of EDM, Alternative Rock, and Adult has been listened to with pleasing results.

I will elaborate upon further listening. I look forward to the arrival of the my AAW Capri capable. I'll provide feedback on both cables at that time.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back