Shure Announces Lightning Terminated IEM Cable @ CES 2017
Jan 6, 2017 at 11:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 82

AxelCloris

Head-Fi TV Producer and Presenter
Administrator
If you own an iPhone 7 or 7 Plus and you don't care for Apple's tiny Lightning to 3.5mm dongle, you may be in luck. Shure has recently announced a new IEM cable that's been terminated with a Lightning connector for Apple's newest smartphones. The Remote + Mic Lightning Accessory Cable (RMCE-LTG) has its own premium in-line DAC/amp for use with any Apple device that has a Lightning port. While this is probably most appealing to iPhone 7 owners, it doesn't mean that owners of other Apple products are blocked from using it.

The Remote + Mic cable connects to Shure's in-ears via their usual MMCX connector. While the cable is only listed as supporting Shure's in-ear models, I wouldn't be surprised to see it work for some other MMCX headphones as well.

Shure has also announced a 3.5mm TRRS Remote + Mic Accessory Cable (RMCE) intended for use with Apple devices that have the conventional headphone jack. It features a 3-button remote/mic for playback and volume controls. Think of it as an updated version of Shure's current CBL-M+-K-EFS cable.

The 3.5mm Remote + Mic cable will run $29 USD and starts shipping in February while the Lightning version is expected to be priced at $99 USD later in the spring.

Jan 6, 2017 at 12:36 PM Post #3 of 82
Really disappointed there's no Android cable option available, still. I know the standards differ between the handset manufacturers, but you might as well appeal to whatever configuration Samsung uses.

Jan 7, 2017 at 12:22 AM Post #4 of 82
  Really disappointed there's no Android cable option available, still. I know the standards differ between the handset manufacturers, but you might as well appeal to whatever configuration Samsung uses.

I doubt the dacs in these cables are that much better if not worse than the dacs in most popular android phones

Jan 7, 2017 at 1:52 PM Post #6 of 82
I don't think the point of these cables is to try and sound better. It's so you can use them without needing a stupid dongle or other medium to use with your jackless phones/tablets/etc.

right but as DDDYKI he's looking fro something similar for an android phone and I've never seen a jackless android phone so unless the dac is something higher end to beat what's inside the phone already I feel like it would be pretty much pointless

Jan 7, 2017 at 2:10 PM Post #7 of 82
Honestly, I just want something with a remote compatible with my Android phone. I want a low-profile IEM like Shure or Westone, but I also want a remote that lets me adjust what I need to without taking out my phone.

Jan 7, 2017 at 3:14 PM Post #8 of 82
right but as DDDYKI he's looking fro something similar for an android phone and I've never seen a jackless android phone so unless the dac is something higher end to beat what's inside the phone already I feel like it would be pretty much pointless

I thought all the new Samsung phones were going jackless, too.

Jan 7, 2017 at 10:50 PM Post #9 of 82
The rumor is that the S8 is ditching the jack. I hope not. I really like my S7, especially with how flexible Samsung Pay is compared to Apple Pay and the standard Android Pay. I listen to 320k MP3s and it's mostly rock and metal CD rips. I don't think an audiophile DAC will really be much of a benefit (even as I listen to music on my PC through a Dragonfly 1.2 right now).

Jan 8, 2017 at 10:46 AM Post #10 of 82

If I may nitpick a little, the very first android phone had no 3.5 jack:

http://www.gsmarena.com/t_mobile_g1-2533.php

[size=inherit]Alert types
[size=inherit] [size=inherit]
Vibration; MP3, WAV ringtones
[size=inherit]Loudspeaker[/size]Yes
[size=inherit]3.5mm jack[/size]No
[/size] [size=inherit] [/size] [size=inherit] [/size] [/size]
[/size]  
That was todays useless piece of information :)

Jan 9, 2017 at 12:09 AM Post #14 of 82
The lamentable loss of the 3.5mm jack is spurring some competition. I recently gambled on a purchase of the Capri by Advanced Acoustic Werkes MMCX lightning cable on indiegogo. A Westone rep told me last month they are working on their own IEM lightning cable. It will be interesting to hear how these cables with their little dsp/dac perform head to head against Shure's. Wish I didn't have to wait until the Spring to use one of these new cables though, I hate the lightning to 3.5mm dongle!

Jan 10, 2017 at 5:04 PM Post #15 of 82
The lamentable loss of the 3.5mm jack is spurring some competition. I recently gambled on a purchase of the Capri by Advanced Acoustic Werkes MMCX lightning cable on indiegogo. A Westone rep told me last month they are working on their own IEM lightning cable. It will be interesting to hear how these cables with their little dsp/dac perform head to head against Shure's. Wish I didn't have to wait until the Spring to use one of these new cables though, I hate the lightning to 3.5mm dongle!

I also gambled on the Capri cable but I hate the 3.5 mm dongle so much that I am willing to put up with anything else until those cables are availble! The question is, what else is out there?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back