Shure 840 vs Shure 940
Jul 9, 2011 at 10:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

great17

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I just registered here, because i saw that a lot of you own the 840 as well as the newer 940.

Well i'm producing electronic music, primarily house. Im looking for very good headphones, that can compete with good speakers(I know mixing is always better with good speakers, but with high-quality headphones, you can also achieve good results)

The Shure models convinced me, because they seem to sound neutral as well as powerfull.

But I really want to know if the 940 has "crucial" improvements in sound quality compared to the 840(wearing comfort is not that important for me). If you recommend me the 940, i would probably buy it. But if you guys tell me that the differnce between the two is not that big, i will get the 840 and save some money.

I will use it on Focusrite Saffire 6.

Jul 9, 2011 at 4:32 PM Post #5 of 42
I'm referring to others and I'm doing my own research into the 940's. That's why I didn't get into explicit detail.  
frown.gif
  Sorry.

Jul 9, 2011 at 5:00 PM Post #6 of 42
It's okay, i appreciate your help. I was also reading through the Shure 940 thread in this forum and I can confirm, that a lot of users report that these cans are extremely detailed. That's for sure one big reason to buy them, the only thing that bothers me is that the 840 received similar good reviews. Saving some money is always nice. So I hope that someone who has both headphones replies to this thread, would be very grateful..

Jul 9, 2011 at 7:27 PM Post #8 of 42
I don't have both, but I do have the 840s and I'm currently waiting for the 940s, so I payed attention to the comparisons. All I can say is that the 840's are great HP, but there's a midbass hump who can be annoying with classical; I ordered the 940's for more details, accuracy and neutrality.
So if neutrality is your goal, from what I gathered, you might be happier with the 940's. Hope it helps a little.

Jul 9, 2011 at 9:40 PM Post #9 of 42
Jul 10, 2011 at 12:23 AM Post #11 of 42

Quote:
 gonna wait till 940 drop below 199$

+1. After all the hype of the M50s in this forum then there are a lot of talk about the famous HD598. Now we have a lot noise about the SRH940. There are no doubt these are above average HPs  but since they are new in the market, there are a lot of excitement, personal emotion WOW factor. I would recommend a wait and see strategy for  a few months. After all the dust being settled then we may have a clearer picture. YMMV.    

Jul 10, 2011 at 2:54 AM Post #12 of 42
http://www.headfonia.com/shure-srh-940-detail-monster/

and is this avatar coming as default for users who don't have their own? I've seen 4-5 people using it in past few days
biggrin.gif

Jul 10, 2011 at 3:01 AM Post #13 of 42

Quote:
http://www.headfonia.com/shure-srh-940-detail-monster/

and is this avatar coming as default for users who don't have their own? I've seen 4-5 people using it in past few days
biggrin.gif

they definitely have a good reputation here.

Jul 10, 2011 at 3:24 AM Post #14 of 42
Obviously you've read this thread... at least I hope.

A lot of your questions will probably be answered there.  They being said, I think it is a consensus that the 840 and 940 are very different headphones with very different sound signatures and that always makes it hard to make a blanket statement like "The SRH-940 is better than the SRH-840"... a lot like saying this grape is better than that watermelon

With the very articulate bass the SRH-940 has, I can assume that it will suit your needs substantially better than the 840... but then again, I only have read many a review on the 840 and don't actually own them.  I can tell you, although I was VERY skeptical at first of the 940, I have come to absolutely love it.

If you have any specific questions I may be able to answer them

Jul 10, 2011 at 11:41 AM Post #15 of 42
Hey, thanks for all you replies..

As I already said in my first post, neutrality and accurancy are absolutely important to me. when you produce music, it's all about hearing what you do on the screen. And I recognised that many 940 owners claim that these cans are very detailed(and even more detailed than the 840). That's why I'm more and more willing to buy the 940, cause there is obviously an improvement.

Another important point is that the headphones sound "honest", meaning that they do not hype sounds unnecessarily to make it sound overall better. That's one big difference between studio hp and HiFi hp.

I don't know how much of you guys are also producing music, but those who do, probably know what i'm talking about.

I'm not sure if the 940s price will fall that much in the next time, cause even the 840 is in that price area. But it's a good idea to wait for a while until the first reviews appear, even though I'm pretty impatient right now.

@ R-Audiohead: Well i have a specific question.. you wrote about the positive sites of the 940, an articulate bass is indeed a very good characteristic, but what about the the negative sites, is there anything negative you've noticed so far?(only refered to sound quality)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back