Shuoer impressions thread
Jan 10, 2021 at 10:07 AM Post #3,001 of 3,872
Which tips do you think are better for EJ07?
I've tried the white original ones, Spinfit CP100 and Comply tsx500.

Jan 10, 2021 at 10:15 AM Post #3,002 of 3,872
As I already wrote on the Metal IEMs thread, I received my EJ07s a couple of days ago and it was love at first sight. I'm very happy at the moment. Before them I've purchased Fearless S8F but I put them back in their box after 2 hours because they pierced my ears like knives.
Thanks to @redrol to push me towards the EJ07! 😁😁😁😁😁
Last thing that I would like to know is: which is the best portable source to use at the best the EJ07. I'm using Lotoo Paw S1.

20210110_140809.jpg

Attachments

• 20210109_234912.jpg
    20210109_234912.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
Jan 10, 2021 at 10:43 AM Post #3,004 of 3,872
As I already wrote on the Metal IEMs thread, I received my EJ07s a couple of days ago and it was love at first sight. I'm very happy at the moment. Before them I've purchased Fearless S8F but I put them back in their box after 2 hours because they pierced my ears like knives.
Thanks to @redrol to push me towards the EJ07! 😁😁😁😁😁
Last thing that I would like to know is: which is the best portable source to use at the best the EJ07. I'm using Lotoo Paw S1.

20210110_140809.jpg
Congrats to the short-bus! Redrol also helped me to decide with it, best purchase ever!!

Perhaps I’m wrong but EJ07 does not require too much of DAC? I have got AK XB10, Fiio Q1 Mk2, Q5s and ibasso CF01, I’d go CF01 these days as wireless is such so much more easier and sound quality drop is almost ignorable.

Tired various type of tips too, include highly raved Xelastec which I found brought out too much mids and reduced bass. I’m using short form tips from Inairs Air2, found them best for me

Jan 10, 2021 at 11:43 AM Post #3,006 of 3,872
Congrats to the short-bus! Redrol also helped me to decide with it, best purchase ever!!

Perhaps I’m wrong but EJ07 does not require too much of DAC? I have got AK XB10, Fiio Q1 Mk2, Q5s and ibasso CF01, I’d go CF01 these days as wireless is such so much more easier and sound quality drop is almost ignorable.

Tired various type of tips too, include highly raved Xelastec which I found brought out too much mids and reduced bass. I’m using short form tips from Inairs Air2, found them best for me
Yeah The EJ isn't too picky which is quite nice. It does scale with power a bit.

Jan 10, 2021 at 11:14 PM Post #3,007 of 3,872
I got my custom EJ07's about a week ago and have been listening to them nonstop. I did ask them for a custom bit of tuning, boosting the bass by 2dB below 100Hz, which they happily accommodated, so take my impressions on bass with a grain of salt. Their frequency response showed a gradual lift starting from 150Hz and resulted in a 2dB increase at <100Hz, to the dot compared to stock, exactly what I expected. All other frequencies were untouched. I also requested a custom cable, so ignore that too.

Sound
As someone who does love bass, I certainly would say these are well within my preference. Detail retrieval is excellent and soundstage is extremely wide. Instruments are layered quite nicely even in very busy passages. (See Hands Like Houses, A Clown and His Pipe). It was fairly easy to separate the guitars from the drum kit much further in the background, with the main vocal slightly off center to the right. If I had to nitpick on that track a little bit, I'd say the EJ07's push the center male vocalist a little bit further to the back than the Mangird Tea's and would've preferred the lower midrange slightly stronger to balance that out.

The 07's presents bass, even when boosted by 2dB, very cleanly. On sustained bass sections (See Blackpink, DDU-DU DDU-DU (Remix)), the extra oomph from the sub-bass lift creates a very friendly skull massage, without muddying Rosé's higher vocals. Similarly here, I found the lower, more husky vocals (Jisoo) to be a bit laid back, but this was easily fixed with a slight parametric EQ (still experimenting). Kick drums on rock tracks have an appropriate rumble where they need to but leave the other instruments to shine. (See, e.g., Coheed and Cambria, Unheavenly Creatures). Stronger-hitting modern EDM/Dubstep tracks are where the re-tuned DD really come out to play, creating some kind of "chest" rumble that brings me back to crazy club PA systems and drunk crowds. (See HIGHSOCIETY, Metagame; Excision & Illenium, Gold (Stupid Love); Big Gigantic, Where I Wanna Be (Nikademis Remix)). With the very pronounced bass shelf, the bass remains controlled and does not bleed into the mids (I consider anything <200Hz to be bass, sorry not sorry.)

Despite the graphically laid back treble (compared to e.g., Noble Khan), cymbal crashes are extremely authoritative and resonant. (See Breaking Benjamin, Dear Agony, intro.). The quad-E-stat definitely pull off a lot of work, while still remaining coherent with the remainder of the BA's. The treble is not "sharp" even as someone who is rather sensitive to sibilance. It's not the airiest set ever, but it maintains a cohesive balance that dances right along the delicate line of twinkling and sparkly without crossing into excessiveness. (See Against the Current, Gravity, 0:45). There are no knives cutting into your ears even at high volumes, at the expense of some sparkle at the fringes of cymbal crashes.

Primarily orchestral works (See, e.g., Audiomachine, Remember Not to Forget; Joep Beving, An Amalgamation Waltz 1839) sing with a rather ethereal quality to them that I haven't found in other sets—something I attribute to the relatively high pinna gain at 2-3kHz with the 07's (right along the primary upper fundamentals of most instruments). It's definitely a welcome change and makes the highest points sound beautifully delicate without being veiled. The mids remain clear and each note on the piano of "An Amalgamation Waltz 1839" (cited above) presents as clearly distinct and precise without blending into one another (a problem I've had with the RHA T20i's for example). The midrange where most of the fundamentals lie feel very welcoming and the BA's handle complex passages fluidly without muddying. While it may graph a little laid back, they still have a lot of energy and mostly manage to let vocals shine. (See, Against the Current, Gravity, intro.). While certainly not a vocalist-forward set, it doesn't relegate them to the back-burner either.

Overall, if I'd had to describe the 07's in one word, it would be balance. Nothing lifts above the rest and tries to steal the show, which might be one of the 07's best qualities. Everything is present in almost perfect proportion and work together to deliver a smooth and relaxing signature.

Build
This has got to be one of the best-built IEM's I've owned to date. The body is extremely smooth and very well polished. No evidence of any seams are present, and even the 2-pin connector seems to blend with the rest of the shell. I'm actually not sure if they are using a discrete 2-pin connector, or if there are just two pins placed perfectly in the body.

The only issue I noticed is the presence of driver-flex on both the left and right sides, more pronounced on the left. It's usually not a problem, unless you are pushing the IEM's when they are still in. I'm not sure if this is a problem with my unit or if all units suffer. It's not really bothersome, since it only occurs when I put on the IEM's, which I don't do with customs that much.

Fit
These are my first set of customs and they fit like a dream. I had my impressions done at Sensaphonics (with their renown audiologist) so I had very well-done impressions. I opened to send them the digital STL files of my impression taken with a moving jaw (instead of open the whole time), which mimics my usual use-case anyways. These seem to be fairly short, but still stay in very well and isolate to levels I've never experienced before.

Ordering Process
I primarily corresponded with Shuoer over Discord where we discussed the various customizations I wanted to make. They were very happy to accommodate custom logo art as well as my request for the Shuoer Conductor cable in 3.5mm (I don't like twists near my ear like the default EJ07 cable). After all the details were worked out with Shuoer, the ordering was passed off to Linsoul who handled payment and shipping. Build took about 2 weeks before being passed to Linsoul.

(Taken under intense tungsten-colored lighting, couldn't color-correct this very well.)
tDccZjW.jpg

Photos below from Linsoul and Shuoer FB pages since I am terrible at taking product photos (see above pic). Thanks for doing the photoshoots for me guys!

134827208_193309402500238_5298159268371218370_n.jpg

134725768_397646164899430_2570280643862228563_n.jpg

134214879_2250316228433521_6939735450190500272_n.jpg

133722195_1038563683301759_1499610599695642006_n.jpg

This bottom picture is most color accurate, with the first picture trending a little too red on my monitor and the middle being too bright under most lighting conditions.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2021 at 11:34 PM Post #3,008 of 3,872
Yeah The EJ isn't too picky which is quite nice. It does scale with power a bit.
Can confirm here, EJ's are easily drivable off an iPhone dongle, though can sound hollow. Much more visceral bite and punch when used with a powerful desktop system, though it certainly doesn't need it. Makes a great travel friend.

Jan 11, 2021 at 4:36 AM Post #3,009 of 3,872
I got my custom EJ07's about a week ago and have been listening to them nonstop. I did ask them for a custom bit of tuning, boosting the bass by 2dB below 100Hz, which they happily accommodated, so take my impressions on bass with a grain of salt. Their frequency response showed a gradual lift starting from 150Hz and resulted in a 2dB increase at <100Hz, to the dot compared to stock, exactly what I expected. All other frequencies were untouched. I also requested a custom cable, so ignore that too.

Sound
As someone who does love bass, I certainly would say these are well within my preference. Detail retrieval is excellent and soundstage is extremely wide. Instruments are layered quite nicely even in very busy passages. (See Hands Like Houses, A Clown and His Pipe). It was fairly easy to separate the guitars from the drum kit much further in the background, with the main vocal slightly off center to the right. If I had to nitpick on that track a little bit, I'd say the EJ07's push the center male vocalist a little bit further to the back than the Mangird Tea's and would've preferred the lower midrange slightly stronger to balance that out.

The 07's presents bass, even when boosted by 2dB, very cleanly. On sustained bass sections (See Blackpink, DDU-DU DDU-DU (Remix)), the extra oomph from the sub-bass lift creates a very friendly skull massage, without muddying Rosé's higher vocals. Similarly here, I found the lower, more husky vocals (Jisoo) to be a bit laid back, but this was easily fixed with a slight parametric EQ (still experimenting). Kick drums on rock tracks have an appropriate rumble where they need to but leave the other instruments to shine. (See, e.g., Coheed and Cambria, Unheavenly Creatures). Stronger-hitting modern EDM/Dubstep tracks are where the re-tuned DD really come out to play, creating some kind of "chest" rumble that brings me back to crazy club PA systems and drunk crowds. (See HIGHSOCIETY, Metagame; Excision & Illenium, Gold (Stupid Love); Big Gigantic, Where I Wanna Be (Nikademis Remix)). With the very pronounced bass shelf, the bass remains controlled and does not bleed into the mids (I consider anything <200Hz to be bass, sorry not sorry.)

Despite the graphically laid back treble (compared to e.g., Noble Khan), cymbal crashes are extremely authoritative and resonant. (See Breaking Benjamin, Dear Agony, intro.). The quad-E-stat definitely pull off a lot of work, while still remaining coherent with the remainder of the BA's. The treble is not "sharp" even as someone who is rather sensitive to sibilance. It's not the airiest set ever, but it maintains a cohesive balance that dances right along the delicate line of twinkling and sparkly without crossing into excessiveness. (See Against the Current, Gravity, 0:45). There are no knives cutting into your ears even at high volumes, at the expense of some sparkle at the fringes of cymbal crashes.

Primarily orchestral works (See, e.g., Audiomachine, Remember Not to Forget; Joep Beving, An Amalgamation Waltz 1839) sing with a rather ethereal quality to them that I haven't found in other sets—something I attribute to the relatively high pinna gain at 2-3kHz with the 07's (right along the primary upper fundamentals of most instruments). It's definitely a welcome change and makes the highest points sound beautifully delicate without being veiled. The mids remain clear and each note on the piano of "An Amalgamation Waltz 1839" (cited above) presents as clearly distinct and precise without blending into one another (a problem I've had with the RHA T20i's for example). The midrange where most of the fundamentals lie feel very welcoming and the BA's handle complex passages fluidly without muddying. While it may graph a little laid back, they still have a lot of energy and mostly manage to let vocals shine. (See, Against the Current, Gravity, intro.). While certainly not a vocalist-forward set, it doesn't relegate them to the back-burner either.

Overall, if I'd had to describe the 07's in one word, it would be balance. Nothing lifts above the rest and tries to steal the show, which might be one of the 07's best qualities. Everything is present in almost perfect proportion and work together to deliver a smooth and relaxing signature.

Build
This has got to be one of the best-built IEM's I've owned to date. The body is extremely smooth and very well polished. No evidence of any seams are present, and even the 2-pin connector seems to blend with the rest of the shell. I'm actually not sure if they are using a discrete 2-pin connector, or if there are just two pins placed perfectly in the body.

The only issue I noticed is the presence of driver-flex on both the left and right sides, more pronounced on the left. It's usually not a problem, unless you are pushing the IEM's when they are still in. I'm not sure if this is a problem with my unit or if all units suffer. It's not really bothersome, since it only occurs when I put on the IEM's, which I don't do with customs that much.

Fit
These are my first set of customs and they fit like a dream. I had my impressions done at Sensaphonics (with their renown audiologist) so I had very well-done impressions. I opened to send them the digital STL files of my impression taken with a moving jaw (instead of open the whole time), which mimics my usual use-case anyways. These seem to be fairly short, but still stay in very well and isolate to levels I've never experienced before.

Ordering Process
I primarily corresponded with Shuoer over Discord where we discussed the various customizations I wanted to make. They were very happy to accommodate custom logo art as well as my request for the Shuoer Conductor cable in 3.5mm (I don't like twists near my ear like the default EJ07 cable). After all the details were worked out with Shuoer, the ordering was passed off to Linsoul who handled payment and shipping. Build took about 2 weeks before being passed to Linsoul.

(Taken under intense tungsten-colored lighting, couldn't color-correct this very well.)
tDccZjW.jpg

Photos below from Linsoul and Shuoer FB pages since I am terrible at taking product photos (see above pic). Thanks for doing the photoshoots for me guys!

132665360_452306909512226_3212547226423951259_o.jpg

132958887_1785404141669715_6867062661814661497_o.jpg

This bottom picture is most color accurate, with the first picture trending a little too red on my monitor and the middle being too bright under most lighting conditions.
Wow amazing! It’s gorgeous I saw it on Shuoer FB page, the workmanship looks stunning indeed

Very detailed review thank you! Did you convert your standard 07 to custom or jump straight to it? Made me even more mad with this Covid thing as still couldn’t get an impression done... maybe by the time U.K. opens up, Shuoer’d open up CIEM version of EJ09 for me!

Apart from what you mentioned already, in addition, I found EJ07’s mids really dope too, buttery smooth and as Redrol mentioned several times, EJ07 reacts to vol scale really really well - the only down side my iPhone warns me weekly that my hearing might get severe damage as it seemed to be able to read on my CF01 vol set at between 93-98db 😂😂 (I will blame Redrol if I lost my hearings as he told me to crank up vol on EJ07 😆 - @redrol, when are we getting your EJ09 impression? Budget is ready waiting for your green light)

Edit: re:driver-flex, I believe Shuoer folks told me this might become more prominent in CIEM when enquiring them, for the standard EJ07 is not obvious for me. They have built front chamber pressure relief valve for 09 that it should have no such annoyance in eventual CIEM version but no date of that availability yet, they want to first push out the standard version before accepting CIEM?
Also, meant to ask, have you tried the Thie twins and how are they come up with the EJs? Or MEST?

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2021 at 9:57 AM Post #3,011 of 3,872
Im right there with you @Spa03 Id have gotten customs long ago if not for covid. ARRG!!!! Frustrating.
I meant the impression of 09 LOL - when is yours arriving?

Ear impression - my thought is that US is still mostly BAU? Just need to do yours when you actually emerge from the desert😆 U.K. been in shambles shut down / mess up since the start I can’t get impression with latest lock down.

Jan 11, 2021 at 9:59 AM Post #3,012 of 3,872
I meant the impression of 09 LOL - when is yours arriving?

Ear impression - my thought is that US is still mostly BAU? Just need to do yours when you actually emerge from the desert😆 U.K. been in shambles shut down / mess up since the start I can’t get impression with latest lock down.
I'll DM you.

Jan 11, 2021 at 10:30 AM Post #3,013 of 3,872
Did you convert your standard 07 to custom or jump straight to it?
I actually went straight to custom, didn't bother with the universal. I pretty much knew exactly what I was after graphically (completely flat past 250Hz, solid treble, tribrid) and the EJ07 fit the bill without a 2 month lead time (*cough cough* Clair).

Edit: re:driver-flex, I believe Shuoer folks told me this might become more prominent in CIEM when enquiring them, for the standard EJ07 is not obvious for me. They have built front chamber pressure relief valve for 09 that it should have no such annoyance in eventual CIEM version but no date of that availability yet, they want to first push out the standard version before accepting CIEM?
Good to know! I'm definitely going to jump on the custom 09's as soon as they are available. Already working on the design in my head.

Also, meant to ask, have you tried the Thie twins and how are they come up with the EJs? Or MEST?
I've had a little bit of a listen to a friend's Monarch a while ago (not long enough to fully collect my thoughts), but the Monarch is going to be the more "technically" superior of the two if I'd have to say. The treble has much more of a sparkle and a shimmery quality to it, with a lot of the micro-details brought out of the woodworks. I found to primarily notice this kind of extension in the cymbals and I found the Monarch to bring them forward just slightly. Sort of like listening to a crash 5ft. from you vs 8-9ft.

Hardly saying that the 07's are weak in the treble technicalities, but the Monarch certainly beats it by a hair. And my re-tuned 07 walks all over the stock Monarch configuration in terms of bass. Graphically, the 07's retune w/ a 2dB bump puts it almost identically in-line with the Clairs, though I haven't heard the Clairs personally.

The MEST and 09's are next on my list to get (both CIEM, skipping the universal)! Haven't heard either yet.

Jan 11, 2021 at 10:50 AM Post #3,014 of 3,872
Wow. AWesome info @fjlabs . I like your bass change and I think my custom will have the same change :D Killer impressions and write up as well. Thank you!!!

I've tried asking Shuoer if they could do a +2-4db above 10k with the EJ and the answer is a nope .. without an extra BA.. Which is a no for me.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2021 at 10:59 AM Post #3,015 of 3,872
Wow. AWesome info @fjlabs . I like your bass change and I think my custom will have the same change :D Killer impressions and write up as well. Thank you!!!

I've tried asking Shuoer if they could do a +2-4db above 10k with the EJ and the answer is a nope .. without an extra BA.. Which is a no for me.
That extra treble boost would've been nice though. Guess I'd have to wait for the 09's for that.

Your YouTube 07 review actually pushed me to get the 07's. 😛

Users who are viewing this thread

Back