Shuoer impressions thread
Sep 14, 2020 at 6:32 PM Post #2,326 of 3,867
As far as QC on the EJ07. All I can say is there were some models around the 'fingerprint' era that had what i consider on the edge of too much bass. Some devices show it off more than others but I prefer the lower bass one that has no fingerprints. I don't want to start rumors or anything however.

If I could change the EJ? I would add +4db treble sloping up from 10k HZ.. BUT I asked shuoer and this is not possible without changing the rest of the tuning so maybe better to throw an EQ in there for folks that want more OCD detail. Having said that I don't think the Conductor DD is an upgrade to the DD in the EJ. It has less deep resonance and more of a bouncy texture which I don't think appeals to me as it sounds different. It's not bad of course. Different Shades.

For an EJ07 v2? An upgrade to the DD with maybe a BE type 10mm would be good surely. I LOVE the mid section so I would keep it the same with the 2x Sonion BA. Planar has a certain appeal so I would add it in at a lower volume than the EST drivers.. perhaps in the upper midrange to treble region. Something like that. I've not heard a micro-planar that had the grunt of the 2x Sonion BA TBH. I also think its possible the EJ uses the EST drivers in the midrange. :xf_eek:

Sep 14, 2020 at 6:41 PM Post #2,328 of 3,867
As far as QC on the EJ07. All I can say is there were some models around the 'fingerprint' era that had what i consider on the edge of too much bass. Some devices show it off more than others but I prefer the lower bass one that has no fingerprints. I don't want to start rumors or anything however.

If I could change the EJ? I would add +4db treble sloping up from 10k HZ.. BUT I asked shuoer and this is not possible without changing the rest of the tuning so maybe better to throw an EQ in there for folks that want more OCD detail. Having said that I don't think the Conductor DD is an upgrade to the DD in the EJ. It has less deep resonance and more of a bouncy texture which I don't think appeals to me as it sounds different. It's not bad of course. Different Shades.

For an EJ07 v2? An upgrade to the DD with maybe a BE type 10mm would be good surely. I LOVE the mid section so I would keep it the same with the 2x Sonion BA. Planar has a certain appeal so I would add it in at a lower volume than the EST drivers.. perhaps in the upper midrange to treble region. Something like that. I've not heard a micro-planar that had the grunt of the 2x Sonion BA TBH. I also think its possible the EJ uses the EST drivers in the midrange. :xf_eek:
Ok, Dreamer😎...

Cook me up a "Tape 2 Ultra".

Maybe Shuoer is listening....

Sep 14, 2020 at 6:44 PM Post #2,329 of 3,867

Can’t agree more all! Btw done your trekking now able to chip in :D

I would like the mids / vocals to be brought forward a bit, since I’m not bass guy keep existing DD would do. I think EST for mids might be too “dry” / “fast” so perhaps not? I know you rate stage very high for EJ but I think Tape got wider? Perhaps to do with the “vents” made them almost semi-open-back??

Agree that the liquid silicone DD definitely got that bouncy feel to it, I listened to Soloist and despite it’s a beautifully made and all-rounder for the price range, that bouncy bass just not for me.

Next one I hope they do a Singer (hell why Singer not Tape?!) + EJ07(+1more BA to bring the vocals a bit forward) +BC, should be a winner in such setup (for me at least :) )

Sep 14, 2020 at 6:46 PM Post #2,330 of 3,867
Ok, Dreamer😎...

Cook me up a "Tape 2 Ultra".

Maybe Shuoer is listening....
I was told by some random one who follows chi-fi that Tape 2 supposed should have come out by now... let’s wait a bit more I’m sure Shuoer is fine tuning it! Exciting for sure!

Although I hope they do a Tape+3 Sonion BA EJ07+BC! Shuoer listen!!!! :)

Sep 14, 2020 at 6:48 PM Post #2,331 of 3,867
Thanks @Spa03 That trek was my 3x a week run.. thanks for checkin it out hahah!

I need to try the Tape. I hear amazing things and folks that like it REALLY like it. When/if v2 comes out, maybe with slightly less mids, im all over that.

Sep 14, 2020 at 6:53 PM Post #2,332 of 3,867
Thanks @Spa03 That trek was my 3x a week run.. thanks for checkin it out hahah!

I need to try the Tape. I hear amazing things and folks that like it REALLY like it. When/if v2 comes out, maybe with slightly less mids, im all over that.
What!!!! Hold a sec you never heard of it? Dude come on :) Tape 2 should be more exciting for sure! Come on Shuoer...

I can send my for you to listen if you pay the return postage (might be enough to get yourself one set already) :D

It’s already missing mids I think?! Treble is just so dope, stage is wider than EJ, bass too I believe is more quantity than ej alth less authority (but that peak around 10k is a bit much for certain songs for sure).

Tape although I don’t listen to anymore, I’m definitely keeping it, it’s first of its kind and we shall hold it as collectible item :D

Sep 15, 2020 at 1:33 PM Post #2,333 of 3,867
It seems like the ej07 is what I’m looking for but I’m hesitant to spend $850 on a piece of gear from a company that I don’t really know what to expect from as far as the durability and quality of their products, how firm their customer service and warranty is, etc.

Can anyone who’s had any experience with Shouer comment on this? Have these IEMs tended to be solid and stable in build quality over time thus far?

Sep 15, 2020 at 2:52 PM Post #2,334 of 3,867
Right, I think definitely I can say a few words on this. As can be found in my earlier posts, my Tape been working great no issues. Decided to go with EJ and regretting didn’t get them earlier! Despite redrol and few others who had owned EJ for long time didn’t expect any QA issue (nor did I thought would but I came across one other failed crossover case too reported in this thread), my new EJ broke down less than a week after receiving it.

Contacted Shuoer customer service and they were brilliant, quick act on my complaint provide warranty fixing (which later confirmed was soldering on the cross-over fell off, suspect due to poor shock protection during shipping process, as you can find that the EJs are just inside the poach bouncing with each earpiece). They quickly re-sent again but it got stuck with DHL due to rising virus cases in HK, whilst I was waiting I decided to order second set so if next time one might need fixing then I’ll never gone out of music again.

They obviously apologised for my inconvenience and gave me a pair of their silver/copper cable as thank-you, but then mistakenly included a set of Soloist too! So they told me I can keep it, well, they can’t force me to send it back right :D

I have only been using them since then (early Aug) so can’t comment on life span, but few others here can and from what I understood, all seemed good. Finally, I have no concerns with them that they can fix any issue comes what may. Customer service has been amazing

Sep 19, 2020 at 5:16 PM Post #2,335 of 3,867
I ordered the Shuoer Tapes while waiting for my Starfields since I grew too impatient. So, these are my first IEMs instead of the Moondrop offering. I’m coming from Audio Technica ATH-AD500Xs

I think a disclaimer is obligatory: a relatively simple EQ setup has, for me, changed this from “considering returning” to “these are the most fun I’ve had with music in a while”.

+5dB at .9-1kHz and -5dB at 3.2kHz did the trick for me, I can send my config for Peace wrapper for Equalizer APO if anyone’s interested.

With that in mind, I base my opinion purely with EQ on. I can’t recommend these without EQ.

Now, I love bass. I’m running these with XBass on from my Zen Can. These extend so well into the nethers of kick drums, thick synth basslines and vinyl artifacts. It seems to me that the bass is quality over quantity in these IEMs, even if the bass is boosted in tuning (I did find it to be beneficial to EQ a bit between 30-40Hz ever so slightly lower, it fixed one of my control songs and didn’t ruin any other material).

The mids need the EQ boost, with it I really can’t fault them too much. Separation is good in the mids even at loud volumes, although it does suffer ever so slightly beyond moderate (86-90dB) volumes.

Highs are great, can’t fault them. Apply that 3.2kHz fix and those upper brass sections will sound just lovely.

Soundstage/imaging space:
Width: genuinely ever so slightly wider than my AD500Xs. I love their width.
Verticality/height: lacking when compared to my open ATs. I don’t feel the need to fault them tho
Depth/layering: it exists and honestly is just ever so slightly less impressive than on my open cans.
Conclusion: the imaging space is a banana

Overall impressions: very easy to get lost in the music and pick out the details even if I think detail retrieval could be ever so slightly better. These have all the bass. All of it. I love them and am sad that I don’t enjoy my Audio Technicas as much anymore

Sep 19, 2020 at 5:23 PM Post #2,336 of 3,867
I ordered the Shuoer Tapes while waiting for my Starfields since I grew too impatient. So, these are my first IEMs instead of the Moondrop offering. I’m coming from Audio Technica ATH-AD500Xs

I think a disclaimer is obligatory: a relatively simple EQ setup has, for me, changed this from “considering returning” to “these are the most fun I’ve had with music in a while”.

+5dB at .9-1kHz and -5dB at 3.2kHz did the trick for me, I can send my config for Peace wrapper for Equalizer APO if anyone’s interested.

With that in mind, I base my opinion purely with EQ on. I can’t recommend these without EQ.

Now, I love bass. I’m running these with XBass on from my Zen Can. These extend so well into the nethers of kick drums, thick synth basslines and vinyl artifacts. It seems to me that the bass is quality over quantity in these IEMs, even if the bass is boosted in tuning (I did find it to be beneficial to EQ a bit between 30-40Hz ever so slightly lower, it fixed one of my control songs and didn’t ruin any other material).

The mids need the EQ boost, with it I really can’t fault them too much. Separation is good in the mids even at loud volumes, although it does suffer ever so slightly beyond moderate (86-90dB) volumes.

Highs are great, can’t fault them. Apply that 3.2kHz fix and those upper brass sections will sound just lovely.

Soundstage/imaging space:
Width: genuinely ever so slightly wider than my AD500Xs. I love their width.
Verticality/height: lacking when compared to my open ATs. I don’t feel the need to fault them tho
Depth/layering: it exists and honestly is just ever so slightly less impressive than on my open cans.
Conclusion: the imaging space is a banana

Overall impressions: very easy to get lost in the music and pick out the details even if I think detail retrieval could be ever so slightly better. These have all the bass. All of it. I love them and am sad that I don’t enjoy my Audio Technicas as much anymore
Try this EQ preset: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ytm2jloh6igd98p/Shuoer Tape (oratory1990 target).pdf?dl=0

Really amazing preset by Oratory1990.

Sep 19, 2020 at 6:28 PM Post #2,337 of 3,867
Last edited:
Sep 19, 2020 at 6:29 PM Post #2,338 of 3,867
Sep 20, 2020 at 12:22 PM Post #2,339 of 3,867
oh, that made it much better for me though.
I am a fool, my mistake was using AutoEQ and not Oratory's guide. I tried his guides for both Harman and his own target, preferring his target. I still applied a slight dip at 35Hz because for some reason that sounds better to me

Users who are viewing this thread

Back