Shuoer impressions thread
Jul 1, 2020 at 7:52 AM Post #1,981 of 3,872
It's a little hard for me to answer but I also own the A8 and dearly love them. The EJ07 will likely sound more deep, much better bass below 40hz, has more rich mids where the A8 is a hair 'dry' but excellent. The A8 has a more typical BA treble section though EXTREMELY well controlled and tuned. Its wonderful. The EJ07 has more natural treble thanks to the EST drivers (to me). It also has more 3D deep/wide/below/above sound stage.

I'd say if you love the A8 the EJ07 will make you REAL happy. The EJ does elctronic/edm/rock/punk freakin great! Knocks it right out of the park.

The Conductor does all the EJ07 does with a slightly flatter signature. Conductor is slightly more balanced and less V shaped. Some music such as acoustic instrumentals sounds maybe richer with the Conductor and the EJ07 does better with badly recorded stuff since it is a bit more forgiving. They are both amaaaaaaazing!

Thanks so much for replying, really helpful love your reviews btw!

If I wanted a different experience than the A8, would you recommend the Conductor instead? Although I am leaning towards the EJ.

Jul 1, 2020 at 8:00 AM Post #1,982 of 3,872
Yes BA filter is for mids. Very easy to change. Changing to greyhound does make mids more prominent but it's too harsh for me personally.
Thanks! I’ll order the filter and tools then.
About cable, do you think these ISN or TSN are any better?
https://a.aliexpress.com/_dVG4mgE
https://a.aliexpress.com/_dUgCY2W
https://a.aliexpress.com/_dXOwwpy

Leaning toward the white one or the full silver one just cozprobably would better fit the color of the shells (clear and green).

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2020 at 6:53 PM Post #1,983 of 3,872
Jul 1, 2020 at 10:29 PM Post #1,984 of 3,872
Jul 2, 2020 at 9:00 AM Post #1,986 of 3,872
Thanks, but better full copper, silver plated copper, full silver for ST7?
Depends on your source sound signature and your personal preferences.

14 AWG SPC with 30% silver content (rare cable tbh) works for me.

I'd say you need some silver in your cable for a good treble and overal speed response, but how much? It is up to your taste.
If you have any shops nearby or friends with different cables, it is better to try there and choose.

Jul 2, 2020 at 10:26 AM Post #1,987 of 3,872
Thanks so much for replying, really helpful love your reviews btw!

If I wanted a different experience than the A8, would you recommend the Conductor instead? Although I am leaning towards the EJ.

The A8 and EJ are different enough that you won't have any issues here. The Conductor is definitely a different experience than the A8. Far more close to a (super) high end Studio Monitor. Flat and yet extremely resolving and 3D. The A8 is more Harman and has no EST drivers.

Put it like this A8 Mid peak is at 3k, EJ07 2.5k, Conductor 2k.

Those are NOT the same. EJ07 is maybe the best compromise, bold mids but not too much.

Jul 2, 2020 at 10:53 AM Post #1,988 of 3,872
The A8 and EJ are different enough that you won't have any issues here. The Conductor is definitely a different experience than the A8. Far more close to a (super) high end Studio Monitor. Flat and yet extremely resolving and 3D. The A8 is more Harman and has no EST drivers.

Those are NOT the same. EJ07 is maybe the best compromise, bold mids but not too much.
Given that I really like the sound of the se846, and often don’t like much of a pinna gain, the Conductor is seeming more appealing to my tastes. I do like a lot of sub bass though.

Jul 2, 2020 at 11:07 AM Post #1,989 of 3,872
If you don't like much pinna gain, I would think peaking at 2k is worse than 3k. You can certainly simulate the effect by bumping an IEMs EQ at 2k and see how it changes.

Jul 2, 2020 at 11:14 AM Post #1,990 of 3,872
If you don't like much pinna gain, I would think peaking at 2k is worse than 3k. You can certainly simulate the effect by bumping an IEMs EQ at 2k and see how it changes.
I seem to be most sensitive to boosts that peak around 4KHz, but ultimately it does depend on the magnitude of the peak. I can’t wait until Crinacle gets his hands on the new tribrids to graph.

Jul 2, 2020 at 8:34 PM Post #1,991 of 3,872
Hi community, long time lurker but first time poster here.
First things first: Many thanks for all the great discussions and inputs -- you really helped me out many times already.
Then, I am still trying to wrap my head around the whole hobby. One question I can't quite seem to be able to answer is the following:
With all these new tribrids hitting the scene, and me not minding to EQ my IEMs to approximate the Harman target (and then add quite some bass), does it actually matter from a sound perspective whether I buy EJ07, Conductor, Monarch, Clairvoyance, ST7, Starlight, Roland, .., or is their potential quite similar and I could EQ them to very similar sound signatures?
Apologies if this question is utterly stupid or borders on heresy, but I am truly puzzled by it..

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2020 at 9:48 PM Post #1,992 of 3,872
Hi community, long time lurker but first time poster here.
First things first: Many thanks for all the great discussions and inputs -- you really helped me out many times already.
Then, I am still trying to wrap my head around the whole hobby. One question I can't quite seem to be able to answer is the following:
With all these new tribrids hitting the scene, and me not minding to EQ my IEMs to approximate the Harman target (and then add quite some bass), does it actually matter from a sound perspective whether I buy EJ07, Conductor, Monarch, Clairvoyance, ST7, Starlight, Roland, .., or is their potential quite similar and I could EQ them to very similar sound signatures?
Apologies if this question is utterly stupid or borders on heresy, but I am truly puzzled by it..
That‘s actually a VERY good question, and I look forward to various opinions on the matter. There is a lot more to the sound of an IEM than just the freq. response. How well an IEM responds to EQ in general, and at specific frequencies can vary greatly by driver type and driver quality used. In this case, all IEMs in question utilize the same Sonion electrets, but with varying numbers (2 vs 4). I’m curious how people think they respond to EQ? If you really don’t want any rolled off treble at all, it might be beneficial to get an IEM that has a BA assisting the treble frequencies. Either way, I would think it best to get an IEM as close to your ideal tuning as possible, so less drastic EQ is required.

Jul 3, 2020 at 3:46 AM Post #1,993 of 3,872

Hi Redrol, Do you have any Tape or Blon03 and could you please help me with question if the Bass of Conductor is like Tape or Blon03, Also if the Bass on EJ07 in anyway overcome vocal and mids? Thanks.

Jul 4, 2020 at 2:03 PM Post #1,994 of 3,872
That‘s actually a VERY good question, and I look forward to various opinions on the matter. There is a lot more to the sound of an IEM than just the freq. response. How well an IEM responds to EQ in general, and at specific frequencies can vary greatly by driver type and driver quality used. In this case, all IEMs in question utilize the same Sonion electrets, but with varying numbers (2 vs 4). I’m curious how people think they respond to EQ? If you really don’t want any rolled off treble at all, it might be beneficial to get an IEM that has a BA assisting the treble frequencies. Either way, I would think it best to get an IEM as close to your ideal tuning as possible, so less drastic EQ is required.
Thanks for your insightful reply. It's just like I feared -- in the end, I'll probably still have to make a decision on which hardware to use :see_no_evil::smile:
Looking forward to the first reviews on all those new tribrids! And so the waiting game continues..

Jul 4, 2020 at 4:10 PM Post #1,995 of 3,872
Thanks for your insightful reply. It's just like I feared -- in the end, I'll probably still have to make a decision on which hardware to use :see_no_evil::smile:
Looking forward to the first reviews on all those new tribrids! And so the waiting game continues..
I think that waiting would be wise. A lot of our disappointments come b/c of lack of patience, in the rapidly changing world of IEMs (I’m as guilty as anyone.). From what we know so far though, the EJ07, ST7, Starlight does seem reasonably close to your desired Harman tuning, that probably could be corrected with gentle EQ. It‘s technically probably best described as a diffuse field neutral tuned IEM, with boosted sub bass, and rolled off upper treble. If a lot of upper treble “air” isn’t very important to you, this might be ideal. I’m pretty sure the mid-bass can be boosted well with some EQ. The EJ07 still seems the most appealing to me right now.

Here’s an example, using the Tanchjim Oxygen as a Harman-tuned IEM example (sorry, I don’t have a premium subscription for Crinacle’s graph comparison tool).

E15883D9-0240-40C6-A165-A810070958B4.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back