Shuoer impressions thread
Jun 27, 2020 at 12:08 AM Post #1,936 of 3,872
One of my consistently gripping experiences with the Conductor was listening to Neil Young records, live and studio. I ran ragged the recent release of Homegrown, and to use a descriptive metaphor from @redrol, sitting right up at the front of the stage may have been the best place for those tunes.
I just had a powerful experience for a couple hours. Conductor had me front and center for some old school vinyl-ripped reggae dub. I started with this stuff:

I can't really talk about 'audiophile' things in this case. This was pure analog enjoyment. Big bold fat mids, nice subbass line holding the groove down. This is like being in an old club, listening to a band. The soul of the music is bright and pure.

Jun 27, 2020 at 12:23 AM Post #1,937 of 3,872
No problem!

I successfully sold the Conductor today, and found myself gladly, without being asked by the interested party, reducing the price even further to essentially what I would have gotten back in refund from Linsoul after their 35% "re-stocking" fee. Giving back to a Head-Fi'er, rather than throwing the money at a prohibitively restrictive retail model, made up entirely in my mood for the "loss" in re-sale. It felt more like a partial gift, and giving feels good, if one is fortunate enough to be in the position to do so.

But this experience with the Shuoer flagships, and the entirely justified anxiety of those having ordered the Conductor, or thinking about ordering it, and waiting for impressions from one or two other users, has given me a beehive of buzzing thoughts this afternoon. I'm getting on a soapbox here. I'm also new enough to the community that my thoughts will likely have occurred to most of you, but since I do have at least one possible avenue towards a community solution, I want to see the response.

First, my honest, personal impressions:

1. The Shuoer Conductor is in no way obviously inferior to the Shuoer EJ07. In fact, I am not even certain my own preference would have been for the EJ07 in the long run, despite the fact that I sold the Conductor. The Conductor is a damned good, state-of-the-art, beneficially unique device, and deserves a wide hearing.

2. I was given 7 days to return the Conductor to Linsoul, and that only at a 35% loss. This necessarily leads to me a.) being super cautious about which product I purchase and b.) extremely hasty in making a decision. These points exacerbate as the price tier goes up.

Now, some more general observations:

This model of IEM purchasing royally screws over consumers who cannot directly test the models (anyone purchasing in most U.S. cities, and I gather, anyone outside of the Eastern hemisphere cities).

It creates the, again, justifiable psychological reaction, especially in the more expensive models, of thinking in terms of "end game's" and there being objectively "better," or more to the point, "best" products out there, with the game being on making the "right" choice almost entirely blind.

Few people can afford to hang onto more than one or two TOTL IEM's at a time, and the heavy penalty of the "re-stocking" fee makes this equivalent with "making one or two purchases, period," again, unheard, based only off frequently useful, but unavoidably partial opinions of others, delivered in an entirely different medium (verbal, when this is audition we're talking about).

Meanwhile, those who are lucky enough to be happy with the IEM they get often only have knowledge of that kind, or a few others, and are left in a psychological limbo of needing to defend the "rightness" of that choice (without any context), and of simultaneously being tempted to doubt they made a good choice, and suspect every other user's good experience as possibly having proven their own choice dated or blinkered. In other words, wide "knowledge" of the options out there, the actual distinctions between them, and the ACCESS to them needed to really understand one's own preferences, is unacceptably hard to obtain.

Now, then, what kind of model for consumption puts the power in the consumers' hands?

Headphones.com shows the benefit of not having a re-stocking fee. And the year-long try-out is nice, but is "a year" really the point of flexibility worth fighting for?

I propose instead something like the eyeglass companies that send you four or five (often quite expensive) models to try in-home.

Get rid of the re-stocking fees by figuring out that a broad swath of the consumer base doesn't care about boxes, and hates stock tips and often stock cables, and knows deep down that commemorative medals and such are cheap insults.

Then, offer buyers a chance to try, in-home, a set of four or five IEM's, putting the money down only for the most expensive one, say, with an agreement to be charged for any models damaged or lost. It doesn't have to be for a year, like headphones.com. What's important is having access to a variety with which to A/B, even just for two or three weeks.

The "trial" box is sent with just the earphones, and maybe two or three cables, also a variety on a "trial" basis. Cheap-o tips should be available free, but most of us buying at earphones more than $100 have enough of those already.

The company can use the UV light devices that clean iphones to sanitize the earphones and cables (or something similar), once they realize there is (and I think there is) a majority of us who are serious about the hobby who are fine with that, providing everyone is following the rules of careful handling (and make them explicit!).

~

Now here's my question: for us Chi-fi'ers, what would it take to get Linsoul (let's just consider that for now) to implement something like this?

They have a discord, they have relations with customers and with major reviewers like BGGAR.

Get a plan typed up, some refinement of the one above, with the best additions or subtractions, find as many people as we can on Head-fi or elsewhere who have shown Linsoul they are serious about the hobby, by having been a paying customer (in their database), and sign it like a petition. What would probably be even more effective is if an intermediate step were taken, where the pressure of a lot of regular, paying customers then was used to put pressure on the reviewers that Linsoul sends free product to to also sign the petition. The reviewers depend on the company, but also, and I would say ultimately, upon us. The reviewers need to be with us on this, though (and I suspect, or hope, that BGGAR would be, if we did the work of getting enough commitments together).

I am basically suggesting something like a consumers' union here. Not just to "save money", but to open the full range of the hobby up to more people, and most of all, to increase the knowledge of the products, and tunings, and thereby better the market's winnowing of chaff. Purchases not made on fear or anxiety, but on knowledge, are better for everyone, and for trust among consumers, reviewers, retailers, and designers.

Whatcha' think? Am I crazy?

I think you spent your money and are entitled to as much as you want to say. Thumbs up.

Jun 27, 2020 at 8:13 PM Post #1,938 of 3,872
I just had a powerful experience for a couple hours. Conductor had me front and center for some old school vinyl-ripped reggae dub. I started with this stuff:

I can't really talk about 'audiophile' things in this case. This was pure analog enjoyment. Big bold fat mids, nice subbass line holding the groove down. This is like being in an old club, listening to a band. The soul of the music is bright and pure.

Enjoying The revolutionaries 😁

Jun 27, 2020 at 8:44 PM Post #1,939 of 3,872
Just curious, has anyone listened to the Tri Starlight? Is it truly the same sounding as the Shuoer EJ07 and the ST7? I think the Starlight looks the best by far, of those 3 IEMs.

2B910FC9-19B0-4D53-A991-AC6C5B66AECE.jpeg

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2020 at 1:56 PM Post #1,941 of 3,872
Hey folks with the Conductor. Please give this a try (tape the back vents). Give me some impressions. I like this better!
Are those the only vents? Does it introduce driver flex? Just curious.

Jun 28, 2020 at 5:13 PM Post #1,944 of 3,872
Hello, I have owned the shuoer tape for half a year. unfortunately the comfort bothers me. and i keep thinking about giving the singer a chance. unfortunately the reviews are very negative. i'm looking for little inears that sound like tape. ideally cable downwards.

Jun 28, 2020 at 5:56 PM Post #1,945 of 3,872
Hello, I have owned the shuoer tape for half a year. unfortunately the comfort bothers me. and i keep thinking about giving the singer a chance. unfortunately the reviews are very negative. i'm looking for little inears that sound like tape. ideally cable downwards.
What part of the IEM causes discomfort, and to what part of your ear? I ask b/c it caused me some discomfort too, but there may be a solution.

Attachments

• B6BE8BFA-C395-45F0-9602-5AD06C3B39CB.png
    B6BE8BFA-C395-45F0-9602-5AD06C3B39CB.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
Jun 28, 2020 at 6:03 PM Post #1,946 of 3,872
What part of the IEM causes discomfort, and to what part of your ear? I ask b/c it caused me some discomfort too, but there may be a solution.

For me, 3khz peak gives me the most discomfort.

Jun 28, 2020 at 6:08 PM Post #1,947 of 3,872

That was wrongly described by me. It is not comfort. Nothing hurts.
The headphones fall out of my left ear. No matter what tips I take.
I'm currently taking cp360 and wearing the headphones with the cable down.
I also tried the cp145 in size M and S.

Jun 28, 2020 at 6:13 PM Post #1,948 of 3,872
That was wrongly described by me. It is not comfort. Nothing hurts.
The headphones fall out of my left ear. No matter what tips I take.
I'm currently taking cp360 and wearing the headphones with the cable down.
I also tried the cp145 in size M and S.
I used the CP145 initially. It sounded good, but did stick out of my ears quite a bit, and caused me discomfort over time. When I switched to Final Audio Type E tips, because the tips are shorter, the IEMs sit in my ears better, and the tips are more sticky so they stay more secure.

Jun 29, 2020 at 12:43 AM Post #1,950 of 3,872
I think ej07 has better bass, again there is quality issues as my right side board had problems after 6 days of use. Was about to change to the conductor until some mentioned the bass. So switched back to ej07. A fantastic IEM (ej07) that I also like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back