Shuoer impressions thread
Jun 8, 2020 at 4:15 PM Post #1,771 of 3,872
I would like to give my thoughts about the tapes.
In the beginning there was treble harshness (3-4khz peak) but after hours of listening I find it be came a lot smoother.
I don't believe it is my ears burning in, because I often would skip a song if it was present. These songs are now enjoyable.

Also the bass improved, and has nice impact when the song askes for it. The separation is good as well as the soundstage is holographic (average width but well layered).

Can anyone confirm this? I really enjoy the detail, clarity, and the fast and controlled bass that has decent impact and depth.
No mod, no eq btw.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2020 at 5:15 PM Post #1,772 of 3,872
I would like to give my thoughts about the tapes.
In the beginning there was treble harshness (3-4khz peak) but after hours of listening I find it be came a lot smoother.
I don't believe it is my ears burning in, because I often would skip a song if it was present. These songs are now enjoyable.

Also the bass improved, and has nice impact when the song askes for it. The separation is good as well as the soundstage is holographic (average width but well layered).

Can anyone confirm this? I really enjoy the detail, clarity, and the fast and controlled bass that has decent impact and depth.
No mod, no eq btw.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the bass changed with break-in, though I didn‘t notice any with mine. I also didn’t notice any change in the upper midrange and treble over time. The peaks are still quite noticeable to me, but if yours sound better to you now, thats great, regardless of why!

Jun 8, 2020 at 5:37 PM Post #1,773 of 3,872
I kinda believe in the burn-in theory, because a lot of things need breaking in.

I wanted to write something positive about the tapes seeing I mainly read negative posts about them.
And to see if there are people who experience the same with the tapes.

Jun 8, 2020 at 6:07 PM Post #1,774 of 3,872
Any advice related to getting the Tape ?

I've read about the humidity issue and the driver stopping over time

are there some known mods that could prevent this right from the beginning ?

even (at which they are a super-cheap bargain with that tech) 100 USD aren't little cash

Thanks in advance

currently contemplating whether to get the Singer with its 2-pin connector or the Tape

if the chance is high that the Tape will stop working, then it's unfortunately out of the question - shipping it back and forth to China is a no-no, especially with the Corona situation and the stupid customs handling here regionally ..

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2020 at 6:26 PM Post #1,775 of 3,872

even (at which they are a super-cheap bargain with that tech) 100 USD aren't little cash

Thanks in advance

currently contemplating whether to get the Singer with its 2-pin connector or the Tape

if the chance is high that the Tape will stop working, then it's unfortunately out of the question - shipping it back and forth to China is a no-no, especially with the Corona situation and the stupid customs handling here regionally ..
I havent seen any recent reports about tape issues. So maybe its fixed?

Although I wouldnt recommend the Tape IF you dont want/cant use EQ, due to the 3,5kHZ peak.If you DO use EQ it sounds very good and at the price of 100 usd is very price worthy.

Jun 8, 2020 at 6:44 PM Post #1,776 of 3,872

Thanks in advance

Sadly, mine are going back to Amazon because of the right driver going quieter after only a few days of use, so I can confirm these issues are real.
Get them from Amazon if you have the chance, to have your back covered just in case you must return your set.
Also, it seems that a second iteration of Tapes is coming (with all these QC issues hopefully fixed) so I'd just wait for it and look somewhere else for the moment.

Jun 8, 2020 at 6:48 PM Post #1,777 of 3,872

Thanks in advance

Hey, can check out the YouTube mentioned in my post. Poor workmanship I believe and also could be due to the all metal shell design? (But again other all metal IEMs don’t have same QC issue)

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/shuoer-impressions-thread.916267/post-15656047

Jun 8, 2020 at 6:49 PM Post #1,778 of 3,872
Sadly, mine are going back to Amazon because of the right driver going quieter after only a few days of use, so I can confirm these issues are real.
Get them from Amazon if you have the chance, to have your back covered just in case you must return your set.
Also, it seems that a second iteration of Tapes is coming (with all these QC issues hopefully fixed) so I'd just wait for it and look somewhere else for the moment.
I suspect that people that have issues with the tape also has some problems with other iems due to their earwax being the "wet" type. So the moisture causes the driver to get issues.

Source for the tape 2?

Jun 8, 2020 at 6:50 PM Post #1,779 of 3,872
Sorry to hear... mine’s been running day for last 30 or so days and touch wood not failed (yet)... same under amazon and hope will be fine even if later got issue. I won’t use heat gun to pull it apart and re-solder the hairline wire for sure...

Jun 8, 2020 at 6:52 PM Post #1,780 of 3,872
After watching the YouTube dissection video it seemed prove that it was poor soldering wire connect to the mmcx port came loose - not really to do with moist (maybe?)

Jun 8, 2020 at 6:56 PM Post #1,781 of 3,872
After watching the YouTube dissection video it seemed prove that it was poor soldering wire connect to the mmcx port came loose - not really to do with moist (maybe?)
Moisture can be a part of the problem (as it does with other iems) but the soldering can also be the problem. In which case you can say it is double as risky, you have to avoid moisture AND hope it is soldered correctly.

Jun 8, 2020 at 6:59 PM Post #1,782 of 3,872
Moisture can be a part of the problem (as it does with other iems) but the soldering can also be the problem. In which case you can say it is double as risky, you have to avoid moisture AND hope it is soldered correctly.
Maybe - I’m just not qualified on this field (perhaps it’s common knowledge 😂) but the guy found the lose wire he re-connect and his tape is back to life again... but I did notice he toss around his new order pair on his table (guess we need to be super gentle with them 😅😂😂)

Jun 8, 2020 at 7:02 PM Post #1,783 of 3,872
Maybe - I’m just not qualified on this field (perhaps it’s common knowledge 😂) but the guy found the lose wire he re-connect and his tape is back to life again... but I did notice he toss around his new order pair on his table (guess we need to be super gentle with them 😅😂😂)
Don't think it's common knowledge but a lot of issues reported on other sets are due to moisture and in which case the sound might get back to normal after "drying". LZ A6/a6 mini and trn BA5 are some examples of sets with moisture issues.

Edit: and don't forget that even moondrop went and acknowledged that the biggest reason for people returning their stuff is due to moisture clogging their filters. So I do believe the wet earwax type is a big weakness for some iems that weren't developed with it mind (Asians mostly have the dry earwax type so they probably don't encounter issues with wet earwax that much while in development)

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2020 at 7:10 PM Post #1,784 of 3,872
Don't think it's common knowledge but a lot of issues reported on other sets are due to moisture and in which case the sound might get back to normal after "drying". LZ A6/a6 mini and trn BA5 are some examples of sets with moisture issues.
My take would be that due to impact (reasonable use not heavy fall impact) but due to the weak/poor soldering, the wire got loosen, give temp differential hence condensation resulting in this weak point lost connection (importantly weak sound not completely lost the sound is key?)

anyways, this is the only (?) point disappoints this otherwise great product in my view. Diverting a bit thou now checking out Blon 03 - given the price differential PLUS better QC I’d say is even better product than the Tape. Sound quality wise Tape wins in treble/clarity/fast hands down but B-03 still very enjoyable in all aspects with less “shouty”

Jun 8, 2020 at 7:15 PM Post #1,785 of 3,872
My take would be that due to impact (reasonable use not heavy fall impact) but due to the weak/poor soldering, the wire got loosen, give temp differential hence condensation resulting in this weak point lost connection (importantly weak sound not completely lost the sound is key?)

anyways, this is the only (?) point disappoints this otherwise great product in my view. Diverting a bit thou now checking out Blon 03 - given the price differential PLUS better QC I’d say is even better product than the Tape. Sound quality wise Tape wins in treble/clarity/fast hands down but B-03 still very enjoyable in all aspects with less “shouty”
The tape vs the blon 03 isnt a very straightforward and easy to compare.
The blon is a much more natural sounding iem with more natural mids and treble. While the tape has a very clean bass and is hyper detailed overall. But the mids are recessed and treble is very sharp with it being harsh too (with EQ the treble is more natural and not harsh but still can't compare to the 03 in how natural it sounds ).

The tape is a very unique sounding iem but that is also its weakness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back