Shuoer impressions thread
May 1, 2020 at 2:43 PM Post #1,682 of 3,872
That darn BGGA dude has 'em already, it seems Only a pic so far on the Tube
Screenshot_2020-05-02-06-41-39.png

May 8, 2020 at 12:49 AM Post #1,684 of 3,872
So apparently they are up on the Linsoul site and I am extremely confused.
soloist.PNG

What exactly is supposed to be "Liquid Silicone Kevlar Driver" and why is it .03mm? Is that the thickness of the membrane or is it how tiny the actual driver is? So many questions.

May 10, 2020 at 11:50 PM Post #1,686 of 3,872
I'm now waiting for my Sony package to arrive with ZX505 and M9. It will be sort of a Chinese vs Japanese sound engineering battle for my current Ibasso+Shuoer setup against the giant.
So, after quite a time I'm ready now to give some impressions on Sony IER-M9 comparing with ST7/EJ07 and ZX505 with DX160.

M9 is a well-balanced slightly warm IEM with great detail presentation and very comfort and pleasant sound overall. Comparing to my ST7, M9 has more bass texture detailes because of the BA driver there, full-bodied mids with more lower-mid accentation and much more treble by quantity, but I would say same as for detailes.
There are 2 main reasons why I still prefer ST7/EJ07 over M9:
1. Even while I find ST7's bass a bit lacking for most of my music (EQ cures it just fine), M9 has too much of upper bass and lower mids. Midbass punch and higher-mids becomes too soft and muddy. M9 is made for soft and relaxed listening and great for Jazz, Classics and other genres whith natural instruments and sounding. I like more aggressive presentation.
2. M9's Treble is great and natural, but for me becomes fatiguing on metal and other fast genres. But I also have to mention, ST7 treble-wise became good for me only with my 28-core custom cable. I'm sure that 4 EST tweeters working from 1 coil demands lots of juice to get going right. Stock cable is not enough for sure.

ZX505 was a real surprise for me. I was not expecting so much from this little guy.
Comparing to DX160, ZX505 is better in every aspect, except for power output, but even with my 15-awg-total cable I'm using maximum 98/120 volume. Most of the time it is below 80/120. DX160 was 62/100 max for me.
ZX505 goes deeper in bass and treble, shows slighltly more information in bass and mids, the biggest difference is in the treble - much better that DX160.
But the main sound advantage is in great soundstage and sound localization work. Holographic effect of ST7 shines even more with Sony ZX500 series.
Obviously it is a much higher class player. And I'm very happy with this combo.
Not to mention the size, it is so tiny! Very compact high level audiophile device.

I'm not a fan of collecting things, so DX160 was sold for $300 almost instantly. M9 I'm still selling though.

Here is my current setup photo:

IMG_20200511_051455.jpgIMG_20200511_102450.jpg

Last edited:
May 14, 2020 at 6:32 PM Post #1,687 of 3,872
New headfi member, hello 🖐.
So ive just taken delivery of the shuour tape.
Really impressed with most of whats on offer, and coming from the blon-03 its a huge step up in performance. Ive only got 8 hours or so use from it so far but im finding it to be abit on the bright side. Can i expect things to mellow down over time.
Ive read through this whole thread (very informative).
I spend so much time reading and watching reviews on iem's and its a mine field of information.

May 14, 2020 at 7:05 PM Post #1,688 of 3,872
Really impressed with most of whats on offer, and coming from the blon-03 its a huge step up in performance. Ive only got 8 hours or so use from it so far but im finding it to be abit on the bright side. Can i expect things to mellow down over time.
I spend so much time reading and watching reviews on iem's and its a mine field of information.
Welcome!
I had similar first impressions. Once I found tips that worked well for me and the IEMs, and toned down the 3-4 kHz region a little with EQ on my ES100, these are some of my current favorites.

May 14, 2020 at 7:09 PM Post #1,689 of 3,872

I didn’t notice any significant changes in the sound of the treble over time. The main issue is a large peak centered around 3.5KHz. If you can tame that peak with EQ, it should sound quite a bit more balanced overall. That is an upper midrange peak that can make certain female vocals and some electric guitars sound “shouty”. The narrow peak at 8KHz, in the treble, could also be bothering you some.

D2FC6833-CC53-4054-B161-7240113D9499.jpeg

May 16, 2020 at 12:02 PM Post #1,694 of 3,872
Ill take a look later. Im on day 3 of using the tape. Really enjoying them now after initial impressions were unsure. Ive eq'd them abit and they sound superb with the shanling mo. Superb value for money. I A/B the blon 03 and the difference is remarkable.
Same here (I love the BLON 03, but the Tape is noticably better to my ear).
To my surprise, I don't find the 3kHz peak piercing, sibilant or shouty at all, it's a surprise because I consider myself fairly treble sensitive, and really dislike sibilant or shouty gear.
I assumed that I'd have to EQ or micropore to really fully enjoy the Tape, but I don't think I'll bother, yet anyway.
Very impressed by both (BLON is astonishing value, except for fit) But I enjoy Tape quite a lot more.

May 16, 2020 at 12:13 PM Post #1,695 of 3,872
Same here (I love the BLON 03, but the Tape is noticably better to my ear).
To my surprise, I don't find the 3kHz peak piercing, sibilant or shouty at all, it's a surprise because I consider myself fairly treble sensitive, and really dislike sibilant or shouty gear.
I assumed that I'd have to EQ or micropore to really fully enjoy the Tape, but I don't think I'll bother, yet anyway.
Very impressed by both (BLON is astonishing value, except for fit) But I enjoy Tape quite a lot more.
try to reduce it by 2 db, it makes the treble more natural (even if the peak isnt sibilant for you).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back