Shuoer impressions thread
Jan 14, 2020 at 12:07 PM Post #1,291 of 3,872
I dunno what's going on exactly but we're getting into a lot of vaguery here, I think. The "energy of the music" or detailed but not resolving...I find that, conventionally, V-shaped IEMs sound more vibrant especially to people who don't chase very neutral IEMs, don't think a mid-scoop even traditionally makes the IEM lose "energy", but I could be wrong!

In my case, the Tape felt somewhat hollow until I found the right tips. I really dislike that the shape and placement inside the ear play such a huge role because I cannot be sure at all what everyone else is hearing. At first it had potential but the large treble hill just made all the instruments mush together on louder parts. Now I am really satisfied with it, but rather than saying oh it's just the fit just experiment with it, I think it's a big drawback to an IEM when it's this finnicky. It could also be me but I've never had this problem with any past pair (granted I'm not a collector/"hobbyist" so I haven't owned really that many). Compared to my current over-ear pair, the K240 MKII, which is very much operating in the midrange, I don't hear a lack of energy either, just the presentation is very different, especially with the vocals

Not sure, but for instance... this sounds amazing with the Tape

while a song like Sister Sledge sounds hollow and thin.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2020 at 2:26 PM Post #1,292 of 3,872
I'm appreciating the Tape more and more, they for sure need some attention (proper fitting tips and burning in). Fresh out of the box I couldn't use them for more than 15 minutes.

I still can't play every type of music with them, but the albums that work good do sound absolutely stunning, that's classic 70's rock and electropop for me. For newer rock and metal I still have to use different IEMs but that's OK.

Switching between Symbio W Peel and Symbio W, my conclusion is that the Symbio W is the best working tip for the Tape. Seal is great which assures a proper bass, trebble isn't as harsh anymore. Maybe getting used to it is also a thing but I'm not gonna get rid of this set for sure.

TbGG6re.jpg

Jan 14, 2020 at 2:58 PM Post #1,293 of 3,872
Has anyone at all tried the singer? Given that it is half the price of the tape I really I want to order one but would like people to say that it is essentially ok before ordering.

Jan 14, 2020 at 3:50 PM Post #1,294 of 3,872
Not sure, but for instance... this sounds amazing with the Tape

while a song like Sister Sledge sounds hollow and thin.

I checked the Sister Sledge out and the copy on youtube just sounds very thin, and the female vocals are too hot on the Tape. Quickly tracked down alternate copy from a 2018 remaster which wasn't too destructive and it sounded way better. The Tape might just be less tolerant of the particular recordings than the Moondrops or whatever you mentioned you were using before, mate

Jan 14, 2020 at 4:26 PM Post #1,295 of 3,872
I checked the Sister Sledge out and the copy on youtube just sounds very thin, and the female vocals are too hot on the Tape. Quickly tracked down alternate copy from a 2018 remaster which wasn't too destructive and it sounded way better. The Tape might just be less tolerant of the particular recordings than the Moondrops or whatever you mentioned you were using before, mate

:call_me: I do think they are less tolerant than the moondrops I'm using. The fit is also not the best, so I think I'll wait for another e-stat from Shuoer

Jan 14, 2020 at 4:59 PM Post #1,297 of 3,872
Is there much of an end-product difference between the two techs? Afaik both should be theoretically capable of extremely fast reproduction, and both are well regarded generally in speaker tech (Magnepan uses magnetostatic speakers iirc, not sure who else)

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2020 at 9:00 AM Post #1,299 of 3,872
Thanks. Really looking forward to your impressions!

Jan 15, 2020 at 12:37 PM Post #1,301 of 3,872
The Shouer Singer actually look better in real life. The colour is more kind of a cobalt blue and the writing is barely legible. Good.
They are also a lot smaller than expected.

More later.

ooh can't wait for your impressions!

Jan 15, 2020 at 1:50 PM Post #1,304 of 3,872

2 filters to choose from, but no description on what they are supposed to do exactly.
Leaving me stranded on the stage of music.
Can you see the driver inside the shell once the nozzle is unscrewed?
I wondering if the damper mesh is still on top of the driver instead on the nozzle, just like it's the case with tape.
If so, they would most probably have the same problem with moisture, like the Tape, when mesh gets clogged with water and blocks sound...

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2020 at 2:26 PM Post #1,305 of 3,872
Can you see the driver inside the shell once the nozzle is unscrewed?
I wondering if the damper mesh is still on top of the driver instead on the nozzle, just like it's the case with tape.
If so, they would most probably have the same problem with moisture, like the Tape, when mesh gets clogged with water and blocks sound...

That's what it looks like inside...

20200115_192208_HDR.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back