Shuoer impressions thread
Jul 12, 2020 at 8:26 AM Post #2,013 of 3,872
This makes me suspect that cable - unlike most others - has a significant resistance/impedance, changing Tape's electrical input and therefor behaviour.
This is quite interesting in facts. It would be nice to measure the cable's resistance as it might be relatively easy and especially cheap to replicate its effeciency in taming the trebles by simply adding a calibrated impedance adapter on a "normal" cable end, thus removing the need for EQing and making Tape even more convenient
Yes I think so, imagine the drivers have to react to electric/analogue signals conducted thru the cables, any variation in conductor inevitably “affects” the sound output.

This is esp true for sensitive IEMs, as I found out on my 846, using it on a trial out day all same setup except swapping diff cables: the way it reacts on diff cables, made me believe in this snake oil crap tell by my not sophisticated ears... Although, on the same token, high impedance ones might be less responsive. Like buying earphones, you have to actually try it out yourself before committing large sums of $$$

Jul 12, 2020 at 9:15 AM Post #2,016 of 3,872
Thanks for sharing! Had you did any work resolving QC issue then you would have nailed it. Joking aside, great research and play with your Tape. Yes I agree totally your finding, admittedly I didn’t go such depth (as my ear is less sophisticate)...

Just one point I wanted to add, on the snake oil topic - cables. I recently put my EA pure silver single crystal litz on my Tape, oppose initially didn’t as Tape is already “bright/cold” enough, prob better with a copper one but oh my - it got improved so much without noticeable shouty-ness! Obviously, putting a cable costs more than the IEM itself seemed over drive but it was my 846 companion set so no additional cost required... I hope the costs of excellent cables continue come down by the work chi-fi firms put in that all of our IEMs got their deserved signal cables with affordable price. I’m definitely regretting getting my Titan, although its an incredible cable.

Pure silver takes the stage and psycho-acoustics on the EJ07 to another level. It does add a tad bit of harshness in the 3.5khz mid-peak region, but because the EJ07 has rolled-off treble to compensate, it's not egregious in any way and tolerable to my ears. The pros far outweigh the cons. Again I've tried em all... copper, SPC, pure silver. Pure silver all day for me. Though admittedly the only one that sounded objectively worst to my ears was the pure copper. SPC & pure silver sound fairly close & subjective, and will come down to your tolerance for mid peakiness.

Also agree with others that I think it's the material properties of the cable affecting the resistance/OI. In a very metaphorical sense, changing from copper to SPC to silver cables is like adjusting a valve that pipes sound to my ears... with copper the valve sounds half-closed & the pure silver the valve sounds wide open. More-so, I tend not to EQ, but even if I did, I think it would be difficult to make the copper cable sound the same as the pure silver with EQ alone.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2020 at 11:21 AM Post #2,017 of 3,872
Pure silver takes the stage and psycho-acoustics on the EJ07 to another level. It does add a tad bit of harshness in the 3.5khz mid-peak region, but because the EJ07 has rolled-off treble to compensate, it's not egregious in any way and tolerable to my ears. The pros far outweigh the cons. Again I've tried em all... copper, SPC, pure silver. Pure silver all day for me. Though admittedly the only one that sounded objectively worst to my ears was the pure copper. SPC & pure silver sound fairly close & subjective, and will come down to your tolerance for mid peakiness.

Also agree with others that I think it's the material properties of the cable affecting the resistance/OI. In a very metaphorical sense, changing from copper to SPC to silver cables is like adjusting a valve that pipes sound to my ears... with copper the valve sounds half-closed & the pure silver the valve sounds wide open. More-so, I tend not to EQ, but even if I did, I think it would be difficult to make the copper cable sound the same as the pure silver with EQ alone.

Thats funny. I was pretty set on trying a pure silver cable with the EJ. Just for the reasons you outlined. Time to level up! (which cable did you use?)

Jul 12, 2020 at 11:47 AM Post #2,018 of 3,872
I can’t believe I never compared these graphs before. I have the Mangird on order, but now I’m wondering if I should‘ve just saved up for the EJ07.

387253F4-E7A0-43CF-9825-04C60B183BDE.png

Jul 12, 2020 at 11:52 AM Post #2,019 of 3,872
I can’t believe I never compared these graphs before. I have the Mangird on order, but now I’m wondering if I should‘ve just saved up for the EJ07.

387253F4-E7A0-43CF-9825-04C60B183BDE.png
The Electrostat in the EJ07 should make it sound very different from the tea though.

Jul 12, 2020 at 11:56 AM Post #2,021 of 3,872
Can you still change your order? Personally I’d say try go for ej if you can, as ultimately you will want to upgrade hence spent more in the progress... as we all do :d
I think that waiting for electrostats to be further refined and cheaper is the wiser choice. Not everyone will like these "exotic" drivers so the Tea is the safer choice I believe (and much cheaper).

Jul 12, 2020 at 11:56 AM Post #2,022 of 3,872
The Electrostat in the EJ07 should make it sound very different from the tea though.
Yes, and that’s what I‘m ultimately wanting.

Can you still change your order? Personally I’d say try go for ej if you can, as ultimately you will want to upgrade hence spent more in the progress... as we all do :d
I’m locked in on it. It’s okay though, I think I’ll really like the tuning. Plus then I can take my time and see how all the new tribrids are.

Jul 12, 2020 at 12:03 PM Post #2,024 of 3,872
I think that waiting for electrostats to be further refined and cheaper is the wiser choice. Not everyone will like these "exotic" drivers so the Tea is the safer choice I believe (and much cheaper).
Yep mostly agree, although, the EST currently being implemented are really only from Sonion and that won’t allow major price drop anytime soon unless someone in China manage to develop their own IP version. I think someone said he got his ST7 for around $500, this is as low as I’ve seen. But of course, the sound differences surely can’t be measured and justified by the price difference :)

Jul 12, 2020 at 12:06 PM Post #2,025 of 3,872
Yep mostly agree, although, the EST currently being implemented are really only from Sonion and that won’t allow major price drop anytime soon unless someone in China manage to develop their own IP version. I think someone said he got his ST7 for around $500, this is as low as I’ve seen. But of course, the sound differences surely can’t be measured and justified by the price difference :)
Yes I also seen the st7 at around 550 during sales (although not recently though...).

Maybe hope for some "bellsing" est lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back