Shozy IEM impression/appreciation thread (in particular Pola owners)
Dec 7, 2018 at 1:25 PM Post #17 of 241
Quite curious about this interesting IEM... subed

Dec 9, 2018 at 1:54 PM Post #19 of 241
Well, crinacle kinda covered the Pola today: "Initial impressions: hot trash. Dark, muffled, veiled, muddy, congested etc. etc. basically every permutation of similar descriptors. Already sounds horrible as it is; is virtually daylight robbery at retail prices."

I was really hyped about it but I guess we'll still have to wait for proper electrostatic iems. Maybe the NF JD24 are good but they are in a totally different price range and the Jomo Trinity is yet another huge step in respect of the pricing.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2018 at 2:18 PM Post #20 of 241
I'd take that with a grain of salt, not sure what kind of burn in the POLA requires... also would be nice to know out of which source, what kind of music was played, for how long, etc...

Dec 9, 2018 at 5:32 PM Post #21 of 241
I'd take that with a grain of salt, not sure what kind of burn in the POLA requires... also would be nice to know out of which source, what kind of music was played, for how long, etc...
Well, "with a grain of salt" seems to be putting it way to mildly. I do disagree with a lot of his rankings but usually with regard, for instance, to something that has received a B grade but deserves an A etc, I'm talking +- one grade tops. In this case of the Pola has received an E, which is the second to the lowest rating and four grades away from where it should be at this MSRP, so this doesn't seem to be something a little bit of burn-in or a change of tips will fix. Maybe they shouldn't have redesigned the housings completely as I remember there were some positive impressions from people who heard the old design.

Dec 9, 2018 at 5:34 PM Post #22 of 241
Oh I didn't realize this was an E rating :scream:

Dec 9, 2018 at 10:46 PM Post #23 of 241
Well, "with a grain of salt" seems to be putting it way to mildly. I do disagree with a lot of his rankings but usually with regard, for instance, to something that has received a B grade but deserves an A etc, I'm talking +- one grade tops. In this case of the Pola has received an E, which is the second to the lowest rating and four grades away from where it should be at this MSRP, so this doesn't seem to be something a little bit of burn-in or a change of tips will fix. Maybe they shouldn't have redesigned the housings completely as I remember there were some positive impressions from people who heard the old design.

I am only here because I was looking for older impressions of the pola. I read those impressions today and was surprised, because I recall trying the AAW Estat IEM at Canjam socal 2018, and it was actually kind of bright-sounding. So hearing that it was dark made me wonder, perhaps they made some major changes to the design? Was there a redesign?

Dec 9, 2018 at 11:00 PM Post #24 of 241
Well, crinacle kinda covered the Pola today: "Initial impressions: hot trash. Dark, muffled, veiled, muddy, congested etc. etc. basically every permutation of similar descriptors. Already sounds horrible as it is; is virtually daylight robbery at retail prices."

I was really hyped about it but I guess we'll still have to wait for proper electrostatic iems. Maybe the NF JD24 are good but they are in a totally different price range and the Jomo Trinity is yet another huge step in respect of the pricing.

Saw his graph and I'm quite concern about the highs on the Pola. The rest looks good for me, fr wise. Going ro need to listen myself to know if it's actually good or not though.

Did he ever mention what he uses to power the Pola? I remember Shozy recommends something that's powerful to power them

Dec 9, 2018 at 11:32 PM Post #25 of 241
I am only here because I was looking for older impressions of the pola. I read those impressions today and was surprised, because I recall trying the AAW Estat IEM at Canjam socal 2018, and it was actually kind of bright-sounding. So hearing that it was dark made me wonder, perhaps they made some major changes to the design? Was there a redesign?
Well, pretty obviously given that they went from this
images

to this
polaengrave_1-e1544174071626.jpg

Dec 10, 2018 at 3:00 AM Post #27 of 241
My 5Ba review should be up this weekend, simply put for its price point I don't think one can find anything that can beat it. My only issue would be that mmcx really don't like cable swap, however minor issue.

Dec 10, 2018 at 12:47 PM Post #28 of 241
I don't know who's impression is being referred to here but I have had the Pola for several days now and I am loving the sound. This is with the Cayin N8, WM1Z and SP1000.

There is no harshness, no veil, darkness or anything of that. That's about as wrong as it can get I'd say, the clarity is impressive, the delivery clean. It's fast is wide its very wellnlayered. I do have some comments on the comfort but sound wise these are very impressive.

More in a few weeks.

Dec 10, 2018 at 1:05 PM Post #29 of 241
After reading you and Markus are getting the Pola I saw no point in me purchasing the Pola. You guys have a better reach and experience in IEM.
My focus is now in Hum reference, Sony IER-M9 and Shozy 5Ba.

When I hear a good product, I see it my duty to support it.

Dec 10, 2018 at 1:14 PM Post #30 of 241
After reading you and Markus are getting the Pola I saw no point in me purchasing the Pola. You guys have a better reach and experience in IEM.
My focus is now in Hum reference, Sony IER-M9 and Shozy 5Ba.

When I hear a good product, I see it my duty to support it.

LOL Pola is one of a kind :)
To put it simple it shall be the most obvious Electrostatic implementation with little damping to the other drivers used in the config!

For the sound i guess there is a chance for Crinacle to hear a damaged unit, we are sure this at least sound normal unless we are all brain dead here!:deadhorse:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back