Show us your vintage headphones!
Nov 14, 2012 at 2:49 PM Post #571 of 3,106
Quote:
Quote:
GREQ what the heck is that driver????? I know I saw one similar somewhere else and i just remembered where. I THINK it was a Dero model that Kalbee had in the Ortho Roundup thread in the past month or so...

Either way my eyes are on the lookout for these just to figure out that ddriver and the diaphragm.  THANKS AGAIN for posting them up. On my search lists now.

You mean these?

From the Dero D-1000. From the looks of it though, they're probably quite different.
Never managed to separate the drivers more than this yet but from what I am understanding they're dynamic drivers glued to that silver plate.
The other side of the plate is perforated. Not sure if whatever was between the two plates were part of the diaphragm or just double sided tape.

Stock plug was 1/4". The pads aren't even sown closed (I can open them up literally) and are completely flat rather than being flattened. Yeah they could use some cleaning...
Worn on the head like regular headphones at normal listening levels, it feels like listening to small speakers with a sweater or two thrown over it. Everything is muffled. Increase the volume and use them as speakers (or K1000 style)... they sound quite nice!!

The exterior looks essentially the same as
Quote:
Some of my unique headphones.
AcCuTex ST1000 electret with built in baby transformers. Fairly decent sounding. Bass starts to roll off at 75Hz and takes a dive at 50Hz. No idea when it was made. I can't find any information.

DSC_9822.jpg

DSC_9818.jpg

Wow, Those look a LOT like the SE-700. 

I got a Koss Pro 4/AAA headed my way. It's in great condition. I'll make sure to post some pictures when it gets here.

Nov 14, 2012 at 7:59 PM Post #573 of 3,106
Quote:
<supersnip>

I repaired 1971 and 1975 KOSS Pro 4aa. 40 minutes for all process with cleaning!

Sweet. How do they differ sound-wise?

Nov 14, 2012 at 9:45 PM Post #574 of 3,106
The driver of the second series has a bit more bass at 80-120 Hz. Otherwise, they sound with no significant differences in the lowest and highest frequencies. The driver of the first series in the midrange 3000 - 6000 Hz sounds more clear and transparent, it does not have a peak at 4000 - 5000 Hz. I think that this is due to different damping. In general, the differences are minimal and hardly noticeable.

Nov 14, 2012 at 10:34 PM Post #575 of 3,106
Quote:
The driver of the second series has a bit more bass at 80-120 Hz. Otherwise, they sound with no significant differences in the lowest and highest frequencies. The driver of the first series in the midrange 3000 - 6000 Hz sounds more clear and transparent, it does not have a peak at 4000 - 5000 Hz. I think that this is due to different damping. In general, the differences are minimal and hardly noticeable.

Interesting.

Know anything about the Koss Reference One? Only thing I know about it is that it's stupid rare and sounds amazing. As far as I know I'm the only one on the forum with a set. I really wanna know how it compares to the 4AA. Soon I'll have he 4AAA though so I'll know how it compares to that, which is supposedly better than the 4AA.

Nov 17, 2012 at 1:44 PM Post #578 of 3,106
The 4AAA is scheduled to arrive today. Very excited.

Nov 17, 2012 at 3:13 PM Post #579 of 3,106
The 'Vintage Heaphone' thread needs more 'vintage' photography! 
cool.gif

I present (yet another unknown): H&H KH-202 K
(H&H is a British sound electronics (mostly PA/music instrument amps) company founded in the 60's.) 

This is a simple dynamic headphone with a very basic design. The front of the driver enclosure is glued on, so I couldn't get any pics of the front of the driver. From the back it looks like a normal paper type speaker, but it's not - it's plastic, so it's a traditional vintage speaker headphone with a twist.
Also the entire rear of the speaker is covered by a layer of foam stuck on with double sided tape - which I discovered RADICALLY increases the bass extension and volume (I took off the foam to see the difference in sound). Also all those things that look like vents, are vents. 

The bass timbre/quality and extension is ridiculously similar to my new Sennheiser Momentums. As a vintage, it obviously lacks some resolution - but the bass on these! damn! 
Unfortunately the treble rolls off earlier and VERY STEEPLY, so all female vocals don't sound right one bit but the treble is certainly there - cymbals have a slight tingle, so these have the potential to dig detail across the whole spectrum, but these are certainly vintage bass monsters! There is a significant spike around 1000Hz, but generally it's actually fairly smooth (albeit roller-coating) and well extended. You can go very loud with these with little fatigue which is kinda fun too: and after EQ I don't think I've ever enjoyed an 'unknown' vintage dynamic headphone this much.

Electronic music is especially enjoyable on these... I just wish they didn't smell so bad of cigarette smoke.... anyone know a idiot-proof way of getting rid of the smell guaranteed? 

Nov 17, 2012 at 9:42 PM Post #582 of 3,106
Quote:
Interesting! These look alot like my Soundesign SD-349, which like yours are very reminiscent of the Sennheiser HD-424, yet different in various ways:

Hot DAMN those are sexy.

Here's my KOSS Pro/4AAA, which I just received earlier today:

Terrible lighting right now, and too late to get out my lamps. Will give better pictures in a day or two.

Sound-wise, these things are quite good. They actually have detail unlike almost every vintage headphone I've heard, and the soundstage is absolutely HUGE. The sound is nicely balanced and there aren't any weird spikes anywhere. Definitely a keeper 
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 18, 2012 at 5:35 AM Post #583 of 3,106
Here are my Sennheiser HD 540. More then 30 years old...
...I upgraded them with HD560 ear pads and a HD650 cable.
...and build a box for them from one of my wife's shoe boxes.

Nov 19, 2012 at 12:00 AM Post #584 of 3,106
Quote:
Here are my Sennheiser HD 540. More then 30 years old...
...I upgraded them with HD560 ear pads and a HD650 cable.
...and build a box for them from one of my wife's shoe boxes.

Wow those look nice. How do they sound?

Also very creative idea with the shoe box. I might do that myself sometime.

Nov 19, 2012 at 12:59 AM Post #585 of 3,106
More pictures of the Koss Pro/4AAA.

I LOVE the brushed aluminum badges on the earcups.

Took a B/W shot for funsies. Love this set.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back