Show us your vintage headphones!
Sep 24, 2019 at 10:13 AM Post #2,402 of 3,123
0C191A76-6DAD-4FED-98A1-DFC2625E8C75.jpeg
73A53C1B-D583-43DE-BAC1-DCBF7209D3CC.jpeg
7B5E679A-7C65-4F53-A06A-B9355FD4CFCB.jpeg
NB Lambda

Sep 24, 2019 at 9:29 PM Post #2,403 of 3,123
Funny thing happened to me this weekend. A guy on Craigslist was selling some vintage high end stereo gear and had a Stax SR-5 and SRD-6 combo. I didn't have time to check them out in person and started texting with him to see what he was thinking about a sale. I told him I was kind of interested, but not so much to pay what they were probably worth, but if he wanted them out of the house I'd make him a low offer and take them off his hands. I shared a couple of listings from the classified section so he could see what he could probably get for them, but he would likely have to wait a while to find a buyer willing to pay him more than I would. Turns out that our conversations got him curious about them again and he hooked them up and listened again and told me he was going to keep them for a while now as he had forgotten how good they sound and was really surprised by them.

So, I may have gotten a former listener back into it again.

Sep 24, 2019 at 9:58 PM Post #2,404 of 3,123
NB Lambda
Wow!
great pair! and good condition!, enjoy them!
I heard them, they really good!,
they having little bit fragile fill but they really good!
*the 1mm mineral wool is missing (some say its better without it)

Funny thing happened to me this weekend. A guy on Craigslist was selling some vintage high end stereo gear and had a Stax SR-5 and SRD-6 combo. I didn't have time to check them out in person and started texting with him to see what he was thinking about a sale. I told him I was kind of interested, but not so much to pay what they were probably worth, but if he wanted them out of the house I'd make him a low offer and take them off his hands. I shared a couple of listings from the classified section so he could see what he could probably get for them, but he would likely have to wait a while to find a buyer willing to pay him more than I would. Turns out that our conversations got him curious about them again and he hooked them up and listened again and told me he was going to keep them for a while now as he had forgotten how good they sound and was really surprised by them.

So, I may have gotten a former listener back into it again.
good story!,
I am always afraid that from my interesting from vintage things, more especially the owners will be interested in vintage too.

at this point I am out of money, and out of place for more headphones.
but I really happy with what I have.

when I compare my giant Sharp hp-400h, they having the same bass level as Stax, but the trebble is worst.
Sennheiser Hd6xx having the must balanced sound but Stax having deeper sound.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2019 at 7:25 PM Post #2,405 of 3,123
Wow!
great pair! and good condition!, enjoy them!
I heard them, they really good!,
they having little bit fragile fill but they really good!
*the 1mm mineral wool is missing (some say its better without it)

Thanks! I am interested in pad swapping or finding the inner wool. Most vintage foam/old dampening material I have seen fall apart sadly.

The only negative is timbre for me. Maybe with a mod/foam or changing out gear will help. :)

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2019 at 8:55 PM Post #2,406 of 3,123
Thanks! I really am enjoying the detail, separation, and speed Stax gives. I got really lucky winning a bid on these. Im really interested in pad swapping or finding the inner foam. Most inner foam I have seen fall apart.

The only negative is timbre for me. Maybe with a mod/foam or changing out gear will help. :)
It won't change. the pretty effect of this headphones is what you hearing.
the foam is only protector wool outside noises and some dumping helper for the bass.

you need some thing like 1mm wool
you can use some thin foam material
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1Pc-Gray-W...var=413699193134&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649
the wool sell in big amount for house noise an temperature protecting purposes. sold as 5cm*1m*20m something like this (too much)
inside the cans you have only +-3mm from the driver

my recommendation is not to try and change it, even without wool is a great headphones.

Sep 26, 2019 at 9:44 AM Post #2,407 of 3,123
It won't change. the pretty effect of this headphones is what you hearing.
the foam is only protector wool outside noises and some dumping helper for the bass.

you need some thing like 1mm wool
you can use some thin foam material
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1Pc-Gray-Wool-Felt-Sheets-DIY-Craft-Polyester-Wool-Blend-Fabric-Bag-Material/113507976685?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&var=413699193134&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649
the wool sell in big amount for house noise an temperature protecting purposes. sold as 5cm*1m*20m something like this (too much)
inside the cans you have only +-3mm from the driver

my recommendation is not to try and change it, even without wool is a great headphones.

Nice, thanks for the info
I will definitely try a tube amp in the future. For now, it is my daily vintage headphone!

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2019 at 11:05 AM Post #2,408 of 3,123
Nice thanks for the info... I will definitely try a tube amp in the future. Im pretty sure headfi user Spritzer recommends it with nb Lambda. For now it is my daily and it beats out lots of other vintage hps I have tried in the past.
Heard lots of good things about tube amp.
But I really not like to handle one:
- hot temperature
- boost any ground and outside noises
- the tubes too fragile and could break or diss-function after less the a year and needs to replace.
-tubes not looks like stable thing.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2019 at 8:21 AM Post #2,413 of 3,123
How are you guys cleaning the pads etc.? I got a pair of headphones recently and I'm thinking I should just buy new earpads and the mesh that covers the driver. Seems kinda nasty to wear somebody else's headphones. Great thread btw. If it is still going in a couple of months I'll post some pics.

Oct 17, 2019 at 8:24 AM Post #2,414 of 3,123
I always change the pads, even though I don't have a problem with wearing others'. New ones should be better, even if getting very cheap chinese ones.

Oct 17, 2019 at 8:25 AM Post #2,415 of 3,123
How are you guys cleaning the pads etc.? I got a pair of headphones recently and I'm thinking I should just buy new earpads and the mesh that covers the driver. Seems kinda nasty to wear somebody else's headphones. Great thread btw. If it is still going in a couple of months I'll post some pics.
Velour/fabric pads go directly in the washing machine.
Stitched pleather will get hand washed with warm water and soap and many 'rinse cycles' of cleaning out the internal foam from decades of use.
Plastic pads don't need much care, just a quick warm soapy wash.
Never had any vintage leather pads.

About half of my vintage headphones have new/modern pads anyway due to better sound, fit and comfort.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back