Show us your vintage headphones!
Jun 25, 2015 at 3:20 AM Post #1,533 of 3,123
  This is a unique 1981 vintage can by Pioneer.  They are worn under the chin and have a glasses like plastic arm that holds them over the ears.  They are for sale for the right price BTW.

http://imgur.com/a/2oBF0

OMG I've NEVER seen those worn before! I thought the under-chin photo was a joke at first!

For me, these have joined the major league in ridiculous-looking-when-worn headphones like Sennheiser Surround and Jecklin Floats. 
The hipster-look is strong with these headphones. The gentleman pictured actually pulls off the look rather well though IMO. 
rolleyes.gif

Quite the eye-catcher. 

Jun 25, 2015 at 4:33 AM Post #1,535 of 3,123
Frequency Response: 20Hz to 20kHz
Impedance: 125Ω
Sensitivity: 106dB/1mW
Date: 1980

Regarding driver type, probably dynamic, but I'm curious to see it anyhow.
You could try some flash photography into the driver, you might get a decent picture of the diaphragm through the fabric and grills.
Unless you're feeling brave enough for some disassembly.

Jun 25, 2015 at 4:43 AM Post #1,536 of 3,123

You could try some flash photography into the driver, you might get a decent picture of the diaphragm through the fabric and grills.

I'll open it up once I receive it. 

Jun 27, 2015 at 9:57 AM Post #1,538 of 3,123
Got a pair of STAX 40s from a fire sale (literally, the high-end shop in Westchester NY had a fire) 90% off around 1977 as I recall.
They kind of decomposed  over the years due to the PU construction of the transducers. Fantastic sound. 
dt880smile.png

Jul 3, 2015 at 12:10 PM Post #1,542 of 3,123

Intel for you!

Got them today, was very excited considering the price I paid but in the end it turns out this headphone was exposed to some serious driver abuse, I'll come to that. 
The body itself can be considered NOS, very nice.  

Anyway, here are some preliminary driver pictures. 

The driver is interesting, the diaphragm looks like something AKG would make. Magnet array is similar to the generic Chinese-Japanese stuff. Another peculiar thing that is not pictured is that the diaphragm is glued to a metal ring that then attaches to the capsule. It's very strange and should interfere with the movement, anyway just one of the peculiarities of the design. 
I'm convinced AKG supplied the diaphragm or they ripped-off an AKG diaphragm. Not sure. The Impedance is suspicious, 125Ohm, that's not something you see in Japanese Headphones. 125Ohm is also similar to some AKGs which are 120Ohm. So perhaps they also supplied the Voice-Coils. 

Both drivers were shot, one was making farting noise and the other one was completely dead. I was able to take a look at the voice coil wires and none were snapped, not sure what was going on. Anyway, I thought you'll enjoy the death of driver from a rare headphone, there you go!

Jul 3, 2015 at 1:02 PM Post #1,543 of 3,123
Wow.
That's bizarre. And sad.

Great detailed shots btw! Really unusual diaphragms on these.
So I have to ask - what's going to go inside them now? :) 

Jul 3, 2015 at 8:25 PM Post #1,545 of 3,123
I have seen these T7 sporadically do you want me to PM you if I see one again?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back