Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Feb 11, 2013 at 2:13 PM Post #11,101 of 41,027
Is... is that the severed hand of a disobedient child from your class? 
size]

Feb 11, 2013 at 3:09 PM Post #11,102 of 41,027
Quote:
Is... is that the severed hand of a disobedient child from your class? 
size]

Ha!  Earlier this year my Sophomores worked on a project where they took an Edgar Allan Poe story and turned it into a play that they performed for the school.  That (plastic) severed hand is a prop left from The Tell-Tale Heart.  They brought in all these plastic body parts, and when it came time to dismember the old man, they stuffed plastic hands, feet, and a head under some loose floorboards.  They did the whole thing by candlelight, and it was really creepy.

In fact, if you look closely, you can see one of the feet balanced on the nose of my swordfish.  

Feb 11, 2013 at 3:18 PM Post #11,103 of 41,027
Quote:

Thanks, guys!  I have to say, though, it's not really work when you love teaching as much as I do.  Seriously, I can't imagine doing anything else.

It's gotta be especially fun to do what you do when given the freedom you seem to have (and it sounds like it works!)

Feb 11, 2013 at 3:23 PM Post #11,105 of 41,027
Quote:
Now that I'm starting to settle gear wise I'm actually looking forward to increasing spending on all of those things. 

I'd love to start smoking a pipe on the porch again along with various alcohol based music enhancers. :wink: I think it'll mainly be spent on good loose leaf tea though. Really looking forward to taking some tea time with my system.

Is that what you kids call it these days..?  
wink_face.gif

Quote:

The rest of my desk is too cluttered to be shown at the moment.

"Woo" hoo! I do love the look of those fireflies. Might get the wife one as an ornament pressie, and when shes not in I'll plug my hp's in :D 

Feb 11, 2013 at 3:24 PM Post #11,106 of 41,027
Quote:
A couple of answers:

1.  CCK refers to the Apple Camera Connection Kit for the iPad.  It's basically just a 30-pin dock connector to USB adapter that allows you to run your iPad right into a USB DAC.  (For some DACs you need to run a powered USB hub between the iPad and the DAC.  This is the case with my Schiit Modi.)  Underneath my headphones is just my computer - a little Mac Mini.

2.  Since I teach high school, I have a prep hour in the middle of the day, so for 75 minutes each day the door is locked, headphones are on, and I am amazingly productive.  It is truly astounding how focused I can be whilst listening to my favorite music on those 598s.  As for playing music for my students, before school, during lunch, and after school my door is open and music is playing.  Right now I'm in the middle of a poetry unit with my seniors, and the first thing we do is examine music as poetry.  We take 2 or 3 days to listen to different songs from all genres, look at the lyrics, and talk about how the music influences the tone, mood, and meaning of the lyrics.  The students all have a chance to play songs of their own choosing for the class, and then we even have a poetry-out-loud type presentation when they perform the lyrics of their favorite song to an audience in the auditorium.

In short, music is an integral part of my instruction, workflow, and creative process.

A BIG cheer to you, SeanDavid010, for your effort and enthusiasm!
beerchug.gif

Feb 11, 2013 at 3:40 PM Post #11,107 of 41,027
Quote:
Putting all the technical stuff aside, that Mac Mini looks pretty cool on top of those, whatever they are.  Thumbs up.

Thanks, sphinxvc. I'm trying my best to keep my fellow members in the Northeast with some diversion from the big storm. When I actually listen to digital through the Mac mini music server, I usually place about 3-3.25 lbs on top - the tea kettle works perfectly. This is because the mini is lighter than a stack of fluffy pancakes...or Astrud Gilberto's vocals.

When the tweak is placed underneath the Sony PS-X5, no further assistance is needed. It's akin to going from wiping crumbs off the side of your mouth, to getting 
tongue_smile.gif
 punched dab smack in it! Increased dynamics, enhanced mids and shimmering finish. 

Feb 11, 2013 at 3:51 PM Post #11,109 of 41,027
Thanks for the info SeanDavid - your class sounds great, I hope your students appreciate it.

Feb 11, 2013 at 6:15 PM Post #11,110 of 41,027
We recently moved, and thankfully I now have room for a home office. (No more Houston traffic for me!) So here's a quick overview of my current setup. Still trying to figure out where to put items. Everythings very messy.

From left to right....

Two of my setups here so far. (STAX and 650/lcd2's) Its already crowded so trying to figure out where the rest goes. Unfortunately my wife doesnt allow any of my audio stuff anywhere else in the house. (Happy wife, happy life)

6TB Raid (1) box stuffed in the desk for now.

Some of my vintage gaming gear. (Still have 2 more boxes of it to try and fit somewhere)

250 pound trinitron. One of the best TV's ever for older games. Some of my guitar gear in the reflection.

Feb 11, 2013 at 6:26 PM Post #11,111 of 41,027
Seriously drool-worthy, stunning, simple and clean!! Is my jealousy showing through? 
wink_face.gif

Quote:

The rest of my desk is too cluttered to be shown at the moment.

Feb 12, 2013 at 12:01 AM Post #11,112 of 41,027
When I actually listen to digital through the Mac mini music server, I usually place about 3-3.25 lbs on top - the tea kettle works perfectly. This is because the mini is lighter than a stack of fluffy pancakes...or Astrud Gilberto's vocals.
Can I ask what the reason for this kind of vibration isolation is on the Mac Mini?

I'm slowly making my way back through this topic (about 100 pages so far) and this sort of thing is particularly intriguing.

Feb 12, 2013 at 1:52 AM Post #11,115 of 41,027
To control/tune resonances. This isn't limited to the Mac mini per se, rather many sources are sensitive to vibrations. Initially, I floated the mini on Dayton speaker spikes like the ones under the DAC; amp. I got the idea to try it after speaking to a fellow Computer Audiophile, who was also a founding partner for Mach2Music.

The presentation improved a bit. Floating the little one on brass footers improved things further. BTW, the footers in the pix are upside down during down time. The fine point goes down into the Maple when I'm in-session. The Mac is prone to sliding off its perch otherwise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back