Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Jul 2, 2012 at 6:50 PM Post #6,992 of 40,712
Could it be that your wooden compartments are cutting down on EMI/RFI? Glad the hum has disappeared in the WA2!

Maybe rewiring all of it fixed a previous ground loop issue? Usually EMI causes a hiss more than a hum. Hums are almost always power related, and the wood shouldn't really affect.

Jul 2, 2012 at 6:55 PM Post #6,993 of 40,712
Quote:
Ice Station Zebra.

Awesome! And what stands out are the feet on your WA2!

They make the WA2 look like a spacecraft--docked at Ice Station Zebra and ready for its flying orders!

Jul 2, 2012 at 7:22 PM Post #6,995 of 40,712
Quote:
Quote:
Could it be that your wooden compartments are cutting down on EMI/RFI? Glad the hum has disappeared in the WA2!

Maybe rewiring all of it fixed a previous ground loop issue? Usually EMI causes a hiss more than a hum. Hums are almost always power related, and the wood shouldn't really affect.

Yes, but two things: This stuff (both of 'em) can reappear or come from other parts of the system; can originate from other articles inside the room (environment) having nothing to do with the gear. Sometimes, one benefits from simply rewiring. Other times, placement and proximity to stuff is very relevant as well. 

Jul 2, 2012 at 7:27 PM Post #6,996 of 40,712
Yes, but two things: This stuff (both of 'em) can reappear or come from other parts of the system; can originate from other articles inside the room (environment) having nothing to do with the gear. Sometimes, one benefits from simply rewiring. Other times, placement and proximity to stuff is very relevant as well. 

Fair enough.
Putting any audio equipment near the fluorescent lamp on my desk also makes it give a crazy buzz.

I still think the wiring is a more probable cause.

Jul 2, 2012 at 7:45 PM Post #6,997 of 40,712
A few moons back, removing a vast amount of metal furnishings inside the listening room helped. Replaced the outgoing articles with wooden ones. 

Jul 3, 2012 at 12:03 AM Post #6,998 of 40,712
Quote:
Space is always at a premium on Ice Station Zebra. I needed a stand-up desk that didn't cost an arm and a leg. It also needed to fit in a weirdly shaped alcove in the office I share with my partner and allow easy access to my nearfield/headphone rig without taking room away from or overpowering my ability to get work done - or my partner's for that matter. In the end I found something at IKEAHacks that I thought might fit the bill. I was up until late last night getting it all put in and wired in properly (hence the almost empty Black Bush) and so far, I'm pretty happy with how it's turned out.
I might also add that one side benefit is that the slight - but annoying - hum that I experienced in my WA2 with my previous set-up has completely disappeared in favour of an inky black background.
I do however now need a slightly taller stool that's capable of adjusting between 31" and 36".

I would love to be able to get the wires cleaned up like that. I seem to always have a major rats nest. It drives me crazy...
mad.gif

Jul 4, 2012 at 8:53 AM Post #7,001 of 40,712
Jul 4, 2012 at 9:16 AM Post #7,002 of 40,712
Quote:
How do you like the La Figaro and what tubes have become your favorite for it?

I love it, it's insane, I did "some" mods but in the end the stock 339 was already pretty good. I rewired the tube socket and changed the power supply to use 6C5 tubes. My favorites combo is smoked glass english CV1932 drivers with Chatham 6AS7G. But GEC 6080 is very sweet in itself and I love it with Osram L63. Bendix 6080WB are so nice with classical music and nuovo metal too...
Here's my mods

Jul 4, 2012 at 9:29 AM Post #7,003 of 40,712
Quote:
I love it, it's insane, I did "some" mods but in the end the stock 339 was already pretty good. I rewired the tube socket and changed the power supply to use 6C5 tubes. My favorites combo is smoked glass english CV1932 drivers with Chatham 6AS7G. But GEC 6080 is very sweet in itself and I love it with Osram L63. Bendix 6080WB are so nice with classical music and nuovo metal too...
Here's my mods

Nice!! You are a soldering iron wizard..
biggrin.gif
  That has never been my thing but I am always impressed by what others can do. Congrats on a sweet piece and keep on Rollin'

Jul 4, 2012 at 9:34 AM Post #7,004 of 40,712
Quote:
Nice!! You are a soldering iron wizard..
biggrin.gif
  That has never been my thing but I am always impressed by what others can do. Congrats on a sweet piece and keep on Rollin'

Thanks mate! Took a long time to wired this puppy cleanly, the gold plated copper wire marred so easily it demanded some tricks to pull this off.

Jul 4, 2012 at 12:01 PM Post #7,005 of 40,712
Isnt that kinda dangerous, what if some of those high voltage solder points come lose and hit the caseing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back