Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Mar 22, 2012 at 7:04 AM Post #5,026 of 40,974
I haven't heard many subs so I won't make a guess at it. I do think edm would benefit more from bass extension than beats by dre like thumping from a bassreflex port kind of bass.
Quote:
Not anywhere near set on anything, but I need punch for my EDM. 

Remember, it needs to be able to keep up with the Maggies, too. That seems to be the biggest concern when looking for a sub. 

Suggestions?

Mar 22, 2012 at 7:33 AM Post #5,027 of 40,974
x3. Considering a pair for my desk.
Maggies came and they work this time. I'll post pics soon.

I would not recommend the Audioengine 2's, they're way too small to reproduce the whole frequency range, and if you try getting them louder to hear some lows too, they're going to go beyond their maximum woofer excursion and distort, BADLY. For very low listening volumes they are adequate, but if you need to have tiny footprint on the speakers and want better freq. response I would recommend Genelec 6010A. It's the only brand I've heard do tiny monitors that sound great, but in general I favour bigger speakers with 5-8" woofers, they deliver much more impact without working on their limits.

EDIT: I liked my pair, liked them more when I got them a 10" subwoofer and got the crossover right, but listening to them against 8" monitors that hardly need a subwoofer (for music material at least), I got a whole new level of continuity in the sound spectrum that was lacking with tiny monitors and a subwoofer.

But as I said, for low volume level use only, I'd still get them.

Mar 22, 2012 at 7:40 AM Post #5,028 of 40,974
Not anywhere near set on anything, but I need punch for my EDM. 

Remember, it needs to be able to keep up with the Maggies, too. That seems to be the biggest concern when looking for a sub. 

Suggestions?

Have you ever had any feedback on either of the Emotiva subs? They look like beasts but I guess it is not knowing how tight they are. I wish I could audition them.

I have a miller and Kreisler and it does a great job. Not sure how it compares to the new generation of subs with digital amps though.

Mar 22, 2012 at 9:13 AM Post #5,029 of 40,974
Have you ever had any feedback on either of the Emotiva subs? They look like beasts but I guess it is not knowing how tight they are. I wish I could audition them.
I have a miller and Kreisler and it does a great job. Not sure how it compares to the new generation of subs with digital amps though.

I love their speaker amps so far but there's not much info on the speakers out there. I haven't even heard them mentioned as far as Maggie pairing goes.

Mar 22, 2012 at 12:05 PM Post #5,030 of 40,974

Quote:
I would not recommend the Audioengine 2's, they're way too small to reproduce the whole frequency range, and if you try getting them louder to hear some lows too, they're going to go beyond their maximum woofer excursion and distort, BADLY. For very low listening volumes they are adequate, but if you need to have tiny footprint on the speakers and want better freq. response I would recommend Genelec 6010A. It's the only brand I've heard do tiny monitors that sound great, but in general I favour bigger speakers with 5-8" woofers, they deliver much more impact without working on their limits.
EDIT: I liked my pair, liked them more when I got them a 10" subwoofer and got the crossover right, but listening to them against 8" monitors that hardly need a subwoofer (for music material at least), I got a whole new level of continuity in the sound spectrum that was lacking with tiny monitors and a subwoofer.
But as I said, for low volume level use only, I'd still get them.

I think most people prefer bigger speakers, if not all given the choice. The reason for the A2s is limited space and price. Thanks for mentioning the Genelecs, cause other than that I had only seen the A2s and B&W MM1s, but price wise none of them match up. A2 is $200, Genelec is $350, and B&W is $500. So how does the A2 fare against the Genelec taking price into consideration?

Mar 22, 2012 at 2:40 PM Post #5,032 of 40,974

Quote:

I don't understand why people get tiny little desktop speakers with 3" woofers and then complain about how they don't produce deep bass or play at very loud volumes (though IME they got much louder than I could ever possibly want before distorting). I'm not trying to defend them or say they're the best, but obviously if you have unrealistic expectations you will be disappointed.

Mar 22, 2012 at 3:19 PM Post #5,035 of 40,974
A2 is $200, Genelec is $350, and B&W is $500. So how does the A2 fare against the Genelec taking price into consideration?

Holy crap, if you can get Genelecs for so little (they're 420€ a pair, between 500-600 USD here) I would get them in a jiffy! I might and most likely would buy them over my 8" Behringer monitors if I could trade them for no lost money.

I have heard them both, not in the same space against each other though, but in very similar conditions: off FiiO E7, near a wall, about five feet apart. The Genelec has the type of mid-high separation that sounds great, and packs a surprising punch for the size, with good definition in the low end. In comparison the A2 seem to have a slower less defined response in the low notes and starts distorting at loud, where Genelec doesn't. I'm sort of a Genelec fanboy though, so I'd take myself with a slight grain of salt. But you get some street credibility with them, at least from pro-audio peeps :wink:

Mar 22, 2012 at 3:25 PM Post #5,036 of 40,974

Quote:
Holy crap, if you can get Genelecs for so little (they're 420€ a pair, between 500-600 USD here) I would get them in a jiffy! I might and most likely would buy them over my 8" Behringer monitors if I could trade them for no lost money.
I have heard them both, not in the same space against each other though, but in very similar conditions: off FiiO E7, near a wall, about five feet apart. The Genelec has the type of mid-high separation that sounds great, and packs a surprising punch for the size, with good definition in the low end. In comparison the A2 seem to have a slower less defined response in the low notes and starts distorting at loud, where Genelec doesn't. I'm sort of a Genelec fanboy though, so I'd take myself with a slight grain of salt. But you get some street credibility with them, at least from pro-audio peeps
wink.gif

Yeah, my friend does audio and loves Genelec. I was ready to pull the trigger, but when I investigated that price it was only for one and not the pair. At $600 I would hope the Genelec is better, but at $200 for the A2s I'm not sure there is anything that really competes at the same price/size. I'm mainly just looking to replace my everyday computer speakers that just went out. The consumer space is disappointing for price/performance in my opinion, but to get into near-field monitors the price starts jumping up pretty quick.

Mar 22, 2012 at 5:32 PM Post #5,037 of 40,974
Yeah, my friend does audio and loves Genelec. I was ready to pull the trigger, but when I investigated that price it was only for one and not the pair. At $600 I would hope the Genelec is better, but at $200 for the A2s I'm not sure there is anything that really competes at the same price/size. I'm mainly just looking to replace my everyday computer speakers that just went out. The consumer space is disappointing for price/performance in my opinion, but to get into near-field monitors the price starts jumping up pretty quick.

The A2 will most likely do fine for non-headphone listening and casual volume levels. If you can get the A5 though, I'd say "bigger is better" in this case :wink:
Bigger, and not too expensive options I personally loved:
- Behringer B2030A (most likely cheapest of these three), my boyfriend had these, they aren't far off from the B3030A, never tried them "loud" though.
- Behringer B3030A, "smooth" and non-fatiguing highs, very lovely detail and never distorts
- M-Audio Studiophile Bx5a Deluxe (have not heard the original or D2 but I'd have heard they're not far off), lot of grunt in low frequencies, not too annoying either.

Mar 22, 2012 at 6:00 PM Post #5,038 of 40,974

Quote:
The A2 will most likely do fine for non-headphone listening and casual volume levels. If you can get the A5 though, I'd say "bigger is better" in this case
wink.gif

Bigger, and not too expensive options I personally loved:
- Behringer B2030A (most likely cheapest of these three), my boyfriend had these, they aren't far off from the B3030A, never tried them "loud" though.
- Behringer B3030A, "smooth" and non-fatiguing highs, very lovely detail and never distorts
- M-Audio Studiophile Bx5a Deluxe (have not heard the original or D2 but I'd have heard they're not far off), lot of grunt in low frequencies, not too annoying either.

Thanks for the info! I think I'm going to get the A2s for now and just return them if I'm disappointed. They are mainly just for casual stuff as I tend to put on my headphones for involved listening right now. Money isn't the primary concern though. I just have a small desk, like having dedicated computer speakers, and want to hold off on a bigger purchase for regular monitors when I've got my own place. At that point size/price will definitely take less priority over sound quality.

Mar 22, 2012 at 6:03 PM Post #5,039 of 40,974

This is the Sennheiser RS 220 in my living room rig, which consists of a MacBook Air (2011 13"), Fostex HP-A3 DAC/amp, AudioQuest Forest optical cable, and Sennheiser RS 220 wireless headphone system.

The drumsticks belonged to Alex Van Halen, and were given to me by Jerry Harvey of JH Audio, at a Van Halen concert (February 20, 2012, in Detroit) for which Jerry was the monitoring engineer.

(Click on the photo to enlarge.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back