Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Jun 22, 2011 at 3:12 PM Post #1,441 of 40,962
I also have a pair of Electa Amator II on my fairly large desk now... and they sound horrible haha.  If I recall correctly they need about 3 feet of space to sound their best.  Hopefully we will be moving to a larger place in a few months so I can setup the EA II properly.

Jun 22, 2011 at 4:29 PM Post #1,442 of 40,962
If they're inconvenient for you, I can certainly understand.  But they're DJ headphones.  Like studio headphones, you want them shorter at some times, longer at others, and then shorter again when you're back at your spot.  While I can empathize based on all the times I've had to awkwardly stuff coiled cable into my jacket pocket while walking down the street, I couldn't call this a bad design decision; in fact, it was probably the right decision.  Besides, doesn't a recable for exactly this reason happen all the time round these parts?  Because you're adapting purposed equipment to suit your alternative purpose?

I too want these phones.  And because they wouldn't be work cans, I'd want a short, straight cable.  But I'm not gonna put the onus of this preference on the designers.

I just realized that most DJs, even the ones who cut their teeth on hundreds of pounds of shelved or crated records, probably just use their laptops now.  So dipping back to hunker over a crate doesn't happen even nearly as much as it used to.  But I still love the function of a coiled cable, looks be damned.

My two cents.

Quote:
Ugh I want a pair of those Pro DJ 100s. I've heard they're great...and they look sexy. I just hate that coiled cable. Such a bad decision for those cans. (IMO)

Jun 22, 2011 at 5:55 PM Post #1,443 of 40,962
This is a terrible looking, poorly lit station of mine.  My normal gig room is the living room in my apartment that is much more spacious and well it.  Sorry the pictures turned out like trash.  I tried to save them via Photoshop but they were just that bad.

In the picture:

- HD650 w/ DIY Silver Dragon V3 cable
- DT990/250
- SRH840
- AD700
- DIY headphone stand (brushed aluminum)
- Cavalli Bijou amp
- Twisted Pear Opus DAC w/ Ballsie (24bit/192kHz)
- DIY Mogami mono interconnects w/ Canare F-09 mono phono plugs
- MacBook Pro 2.66GHz
- Self-built PC (3.4Ghz gaming machine with Foobar2k on it.. too loud for reference listening)
- Crappy small desk w/ even more crappy small chair -- I miss my apartment.

Jun 22, 2011 at 6:27 PM Post #1,444 of 40,962
Looks like a really nice job on the Bijou, the stand, and the cables, congrats 
smile.gif

Jun 22, 2011 at 8:35 PM Post #1,445 of 40,962
If they're inconvenient for you, I can certainly understand.  But they're DJ headphones.  L

ike studio headphones, you want them shorter at some times, longer at others, and then shorter again when you're back at your spot.  While I can empathize based on all the times I've had to awkwardly stuff coiled cable into my jacket pocket while walking down the street, I couldn't call this a bad design decision; in fact, it was probably the right decision.  Besides, doesn't a recable for exactly this reason happen all the time round these parts?  Because you're adapting purposed equipment to suit your alternative purpose?

I too want these phones.  And because they wouldn't be work cans, I'd want a short, straight cable.  But I'm not gonna put the onus of this preference on the designers.

I just realized that most DJs, even the ones who cut their teeth on hundreds of pounds of shelved or crated records, probably just use their laptops now.  So dipping back to hunker over a crate doesn't happen even nearly as much as it used to.  But I still love the function of a coiled cable, looks be damned.

My two cents.

Oh no I understand WHY it's there, I just wish they'd given it a replaceable cable. It was really just a small gripe. I'd still portable them around.

Jun 22, 2011 at 11:56 PM Post #1,447 of 40,962

Users who are viewing this thread

Back