Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Oct 16, 2021 at 10:40 PM Post #29,596 of 41,035
Have not played this amp in a long time. enjoying the glow
20211016_203452.jpg

Oct 17, 2021 at 1:11 PM Post #29,599 of 41,035
This is a bit of an oxymoron... :laughing:
I respectfully disagree.

After decades of owning various class AB solid state amps, as well as big transformer coupled tube amps, about 2 years ago I faced the need to somehow accommodate an amplifier in my crowded desktop system (up to that point I had used only powered monitors--now switching to passives). There was no room for even the most compact AB amps I knew of--and besides, compact AB amps are low power, and I needed real power for these passive monitors (ATC SCM12 Pro's, an acoustic suspension design). Thus began a months long binge of reading about class D amps.

It didn't take long to realize class D amps have a "story arc" worthy of a fairy tale: decades ago the early models sounded horrifying and earned a bad reputation that persists in the high end audio world (a lot of us are old f**ks capable of holding a sonic grudge forever). But in recent years a series of new class D amp modules (ICE, Hypex, Pascal, and most recently, GaN) have transformed the class D scene--as have the custom-designed and -manufactured input boards and power supplies that high end vendors utilize to squeeze the best sonics out of the stock amplifier modules.

So I found myself looking for a relatively recent vintage, gently used class D amplifier with solid reviews & a good reputation.

I ended up with a Wyred 4 Sound ST-500, a very compact & powerful stereo amp (ICE modules; 250 WPC/8 ohms & 500 WPC/4 ohms). I read a number of very positive user comments and audio reviews of this model, which was described as going against the typical class D sound profile (very low distortion, great bass, high transparency, but sometimes having less than full weight in lower mids and borderline bright upper mids & treble). The ST-500's sound was often described as musical, weighty in the bass, not bright or edgy, slightly dark. Because that pretty much sums up my desired sonic profile in all audio gear--and seemed especially promising in combination with the high-resolution, dynamic ATCs--I picked it up. The cherry on top was that W4S advised me it was OK to stand the amp on one side (necessary to save space...see photo below...the DAC changed since then), because its heat output is negligible (very true). So I bought it.

That ST-500 + my pair of gently used ATCs proved mind-blowing in every way. I've heard many decent 2-ways, but to have this powerhouse, high resolution (but still musical) set-up my nearfield system was pretty amazing. I since swapped out the ATCs for a vintage pair of KEF 103.2 2-way (also acoustic suspension), and once again am getting terrific sound. Note that acoustic suspension designs like these really gobble up power at higher volumes, but this amp never runs out.

In the old days I would've tested this amp in a full sized 2-channel system. I can no longer do that. But I can tell you that if this class D amp is riddled with sonic deficiences common to all class D designs...I'm not hearing it.

Main system-3 (35%).jpg

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2021 at 4:04 PM Post #29,600 of 41,035
I respectfully disagree.

After decades of owning various class AB solid state amps, as well as big transformer coupled tube amps, about 2 years ago I faced the need to somehow accommodate an amplifier in my crowded desktop system (up to that point I had used only powered monitors--now switching to passives). There was no room for even the most compact AB amps I knew of--and besides, compact AB amps are low power, and I needed real power for these passive monitors (ATC SCM12 Pro's, an acoustic suspension design). Thus began a months long binge of reading about class D amps.

It didn't take long to realize class D amps have a "story arc" worthy of a fairy tale: decades ago the early models sounded horrifying and earned a bad reputation that persists in the high end audio world (a lot of us are old f**ks capable of holding a sonic grudge forever). But in recent years a series of new class D amp modules (ICE, Hypex, Pascal, and most recently, GaN) have transformed the class D scene--as have the custom-designed and -manufactured input boards and power supplies that high end vendors utilize to squeeze the best sonics out of the stock amplifier modules.

So I found myself looking for a relatively recent vintage, gently used class D amplifier with solid reviews & a good reputation.

I ended up with a Wyred 4 Sound ST-500, a very compact & powerful stereo amp (ICE modules; 250 WPC/8 ohms & 500 WPC/4 ohms). I read a number of very positive user comments and audio reviews of this model, which was described as going against the typical class D sound profile (very low distortion, great bass, high transparency, but sometimes having less than full weight in lower mids and borderline bright upper mids & treble). The ST-500's sound was often described as musical, weighty in the bass, not bright or edgy, slightly dark. Because that pretty much sums up my desired sonic profile in all audio gear--and seemed especially promising in combination with the high-resolution, dynamic ATCs--I picked it up. The cherry on top was that W4S advised me it was OK to stand the amp on one side (necessary to save space...see photo below...the DAC changed since then), because its heat output is negligible (very true). So I bought it.

That ST-500 + my pair of gently used ATCs proved mind-blowing in every way. I've heard many decent 2-ways, but to have this powerhouse, high resolution (but still musical) set-up my nearfield system was pretty amazing. I since swapped out the ATCs for a vintage pair of KEF 103.2 2-way (also acoustic suspension), and once again am getting terrific sound. Note that acoustic suspension designs like these really gobble up power at higher volumes, but this amp never runs out.

In the old days I would've tested this amp in a full sized 2-channel system. I can no longer do that. But I can tell you that if this class D amp is riddled with sonic deficiences common to all class D designs...I'm not hearing it.

What is that audio-gd device on the right? A switcher?

Oct 17, 2021 at 4:39 PM Post #29,601 of 41,035
I respectfully disagree.

Main system-3 (35%).jpg
@Pharmaboy first of all congrats on great setup. Secondly I agree with your point of view and experience. I had a chance to listen to Mytek AMP and this is another great example of class D amp that is missing old class D drawbacks. If there are any I haven't heard them with right speakers matching. Audio hobby is full of myths that does not hold against current facts and products unfortunately. I guess dislike towards class D amps is one of them. On the other hand I was surprise how small - comparing to other class amps - Mytek AMP/AMP+ is. For those who value simplicity and space without compromising SQ this is also very important factor.

Oct 17, 2021 at 5:57 PM Post #29,602 of 41,035
What is that audio-gd device on the right? A switcher?
That was the Audio GD NOS 19, Audio GD's non-oversampling design that uses PCM1704 chips. I sold it a couple years ago when I upgraded to another NOS DAC, the MHDT Labs Orchid. Both good DACs, but IMO the Orchid is better.

Note that the DAC in my nearby side-system (which is headphone only) is Audio GD's longtime multibit design, the DAC-19.

Oct 17, 2021 at 6:56 PM Post #29,603 of 41,035
IMG_0747.JPG

Thought I would give Sonarworks a try. I have never been a fan of such programs/software, I have never believed in E.Q-ing my headphones, I prefer to listen to their natural tonality, but this software is impressing me. It actually seems to work, without giving me the impression that it's just distorting the sound of my headphones. Its the free trial but I might buy it. I thought my Sennheiser HD206 was very close to neutral but according to this software it's not quite. I'm impressed. Looking forward to trying my Fostex TH500RP and AKG K702 with Sonarworks tomorrow.

Oct 17, 2021 at 8:37 PM Post #29,604 of 41,035
IMG_20211017_100937.jpg

HD6XX pairing with the Ferrum OOR Hypsos stack. The HD6XX is really an all time easy listen. It performs so well when I want to shuffle through my Roon libary. It has an really stable performance for literally every genera of music. So smooth and slightly warm. Big guns are for intensive listening. :)

Really enjoying the Roon experience, though it may cost a fortune. But it allows seamlessly intergrating my Tidal playlist libary with my local files libary. I could hit the radio button and it will randomly play music of the same genera from local and Tidal. Really great way to discover new music.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2021 at 7:22 AM Post #29,607 of 41,035
Oct 19, 2021 at 9:05 AM Post #29,608 of 41,035
20211019_205853.jpg

Pretty done with my endgame currently with the arrival of Woo Audio WA22.

Oct 19, 2021 at 11:08 AM Post #29,610 of 41,035
@lumdicks congrats on awesome setup. Could you tell a bit more about HTT2 sound signature change after adding mscaler and WA22 into the chain? Does WA22 background is really black?
I got my TT2 with M Scaler together so have not experienced much on the change of addition of the latter. However, I have done some short testings by removing the M Scaler from the chain and for my genres of preference (acoustic, jazz, classical and vocals), the benefit of M Scaler is quite substantial in sound refinement, imaging and smoothness.

The WA22 is my first tube amp ever and I have just got it today so may need more time to share. But the first impression is really nice as it drives my Susvara and other cans beautifully, with very smooth, well extended sound and amazing imaging. With the stock tubes it is very silent and just very low hum with my Stellia, which will become less noticeable after the tubes heating up and the music starts.

May start some tube rolling later but overall it is a very good complement to my Benchmark HPA4 (perfectly neutral, colourless but not boring) and Kinki THR-1 (powerful, a bit warm, good dynamic and very analogue sounding).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back