Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Jan 1, 2021 at 4:51 PM Post #27,091 of 41,009
Good to hear. I have Elise and have been eyeing LCD-2 as well but some say OTL amps don't play well with planar magnetic cans. can you say more about the combination's sound signature?

Thanks!
LoryWiv, I can tell you from experience (albeit from mine own ears) that the Elise loves planars long time!!!! One of my favorite combos is the Elise with my (wait for it) ZMF Blackwoods!!!! I won't get into sonic details, mostly because they still baffle me. :wink:

Jan 1, 2021 at 5:05 PM Post #27,092 of 41,009
Good to hear. I have Elise and have been eyeing LCD-2 as well but some say OTL amps don't play well with planar magnetic cans. can you say more about the combination's sound signature?

Thanks!
I have heared the same and can not tell for all tube Amps. But for me the combination of Elise and LCD 2c closed back works very weil.
Although Feliks Audio does specify the operation with planar magnetic headphones for the Euphoria and not the Elise explicitly.

Jan 1, 2021 at 8:43 PM Post #27,094 of 41,009
Year end rant/ My 3 year descent into audiophile madness.

Not strictly head-fi but it is in there as well. Scroll to the bottom for the TLDR and new system.

Slightly Long post but here is my roughly 3 year journey in hi-fi so far.

It all started in 2004 with a pair of shure E5C and an iPod. This lasted me until about 2017 when my wife knew my iPod was on its last legs and they weren't making anything but iPhones anymore. She got me an AK300 as a surprise gift. I remember thinking that it was crazy expensive at around $900. Then I bought the LCD-X and iDSD BL after seeing it on a Zeos video. I think it was the first really expensive headphone he had. Then was the Roxanne and after a year the SP1000.

I made it till October of 2018 and then it started Spiral down. I bought the LS50 and Arcam. Followed shortly by the Solaris, ALO CV5, and Clears. All the while telling my wife this is the last thing.

January 2019 after my first Head-fi meet. The ZMFestivus I guess I can blame Zach and Bev for all this just a bit right:wink: Well I did meet @cpzzy here too.
This was about one year into the journey. With a pair of LS50 and Arcam along with iDSD BL, Ak300, SP1000, JH Roxanne, CA solaris, LCD-x, and Clears.
20190121_235313.jpeg

On my birthday I decided to order the LCD-4Z for my 40th birthday. This led me to my local chord dealer to audition the TT2 with the 4z. Here I met @JamesonM. I ordered a TT2, but ended up canceling the order due to wait times and instead got the Hugo 2 and mscaler. All of this led to me hosting a head-fi meet at F1Audio.

Not me but one of the many incredible folks I have met through Head-Fi. Yes that is a Raal being drive with a $60k D'Agostino and Chord Dave.
20190323_175908.jpeg

Enter Axpona 2019
I bought the Noble Khans

20190904_221905.jpeg

Now is when it gets bad. After hearing all of the amazing speaker systems (in 2018 I only stayed in the headphone area of axpona). I got the bright idea to sell the 4Z and Chord stack and upgrade the speakers system.

Dynaudio C1 Platinums with a Hegel H360. May 2019 I of course say that these are my endgame speakers.
20190518_234504.jpeg

I ended up regretting the sale of the 4Z but F1Audio just happened to be an Abyss dealer.

AB-1266 Phi TC with the Metrum Onyx and Liquid Platinum great pairing. The roxanne, solaris, and LCD-x all found new homes. 20190530_001838.jpeg

August 2019 I am presented with a deal that I just couldn't pass up. My Dynaudio C1 go to a new home and the Magico S1MKII come home. Incredible speakers this is it these are my real endgame.

20190819_204202.jpeg
November 2019 the Onyx goes away and I finally buy the TT2. The Mscaler follows shortly after before Christmas. The giant desk is gone too.
20191224_173444.jpeg

Chasing the dragon and not feeling that the Mscaler made as big an impact with the TT2 as it did with the Hugo 2 I pursue different avenues.
A new rack and the Auralic Aries G1 followed by the G2 plus Transparent power wave for conditioning
Early January 2020

20191229_224359.jpeg

After a day with the rack I realized that there was damage from the factory do that went back the Auralic G1 went back to be upgraded to the G2. This stayed in the system for about a week with the TT2 but then something changed my musical journey. I auditioned the dCS Bartok. I got one on loan for a weekend to audition with my system. I was floored by how much more I liked it with my Abyss but even more so with the speakers.

The TT2 is quickly sold and replace by the Bartok. I almost sold my Abyss to fund this but I couldn't let them go sorry @Litlgi74. Again my loving wife hears this is the only thing this year.
20200119_161741.jpeg

Right before covid hits in February @cpzzy visited and brought a ton of gear including his XIAudio Formula S and Powerman he let me audition the for an extended period. I ended up buying them they are incredible with the Abyss. Then in June I made a purchase of the one thing that I felt my system still needed. The JL Fathom F110v2 surely this will be the last thing I tell her.

20200724_212149.jpg

Here comes September I find out that my company is permanently laying off over 5,000 of us. We need to find a new place to move. It was time anyway. On the day that I was being laid off I actually got a job offer. What are the odds I was on furlough for almost 7 months.

New Place we put the speakers in the main living space to enjoy more. I am still working on figuring out room treatments. I do have a sound deadening blanket that I place over the screen while listening. The Abyss are still here going strong perfect for late night listening or when I don't want to bother the wife. Also she got me another sub for Christmas. So everything should be set right endgame achieved. Oh yeah I was able to get my hands on a PS5 too ( 2 computers and iPad and phone all refreshing at midnight on release night did the trick).

IMG_20201229_155336_235.jpg

Then this happened this past Tuesday.
I traded in my "Endgame" Magico S1MKII toward a pair of Rockport Technologies Atria II. I won't say this is the endgame but it is a good point to pause for a while. I do need to replace the Hegel maybe with the Gryphon Diablo 300 or D'Agostino Integrated. That will have to wait though I swore that I will not buy anything until next Christmas.

20201230_123608 (1).jpeg

20201230_123657.jpeg

Sorry for all of the pictures but I am a visual person. If I could point to one thing that triggered the fast speaker upgrades it would be the Abyss. @Joe Skubinski has made such an incredible headphone that it is like crack. I have been chasing that resolution and presentation in my speaker system. I am not fully there yet either Maybe with a pair of Rockport Cygnus or Magico M2. The 1266 is so damn good anyone who says that they are too expensive and not worth the asking price should consider that they rank up there in sound quality with speakers costing 5-10X their price.

Thanks to all of the fine folks here that I am sharing this journey with.

Happy New Year
Bring on 2021 Christmas can't come soon enough :jecklinsmile:

2 comments:
  1. Wow. Just wow.
  2. Your wife must be an amazing person. I don't know many women who could hold fire through all that...

Jan 1, 2021 at 8:49 PM Post #27,095 of 41,009
LoryWiv, I can tell you from experience (albeit from mine own ears) that the Elise loves planars long time!!!! One of my favorite combos is the Elise with my (wait for it) ZMF Blackwoods!!!! I won't get into sonic details, mostly because they still baffle me. :wink:

I haven't heard the Elise, so can't comment. But in my system I've heard a number of planars with my OTL, the humble but excellent Woo WA3. All the planars (LCD-3/pre-fazor; LCD 2.1/pre-fazor; ZMF Ori; HEX v2; Empyrean) I tried got along w/this OTL just fine. You get none of that elevated puffy bass that happens with low impedance dynamics--because planar drivers don't have the wide impedance variations in the low frequencies that dynamics do.

I'm not saying the WA3 drives planar bass as deeply & authoritatively as SS. Then again, the somewhat gentler, more dimensional sonics of a tube amp bring out special things on planars or high impedance dynamics: a win of a different kind...

Jan 2, 2021 at 12:40 AM Post #27,096 of 41,009
I haven't heard the Elise, so can't comment. But in my system I've heard a number of planars with my OTL, the humble but excellent Woo WA3. All the planars (LCD-3/pre-fazor; LCD 2.1/pre-fazor; ZMF Ori; HEX v2; Empyrean) I tried got along w/this OTL just fine. You get none of that elevated puffy bass that happens with low impedance dynamics--because planar drivers don't have the wide impedance variations in the low frequencies that dynamics do.

I'm not saying the WA3 drives planar bass as deeply & authoritatively as SS. Then again, the somewhat gentler, more dimensional sonics of a tube amp bring out special things on planars or high impedance dynamics: a win of a different kind...
Appreciate the positive input, @Holgi32, @Preachy1 and @Pharmaboy. I use Elise with ZMF Auteur, LOVE IT but am tempted to complement with a closed can and a planar to complement the Auteur open, biocellulose dynamic. I previously owned ZMF Ori which was a great, fun closed back planar but colored the sound (albeit quite well) more than I wanted, and from what i read Audeze LCD-2 leans north of neutral as well. I'm not prepared to shell out for what I think might be my endgame (ZMF Verite Closed) at this point, although might do so ultimately. In the meantime, wondering about the new DCA Aeon 2 Noire (but 12.5Ω , is that really a match with Elise?) or any other sub - $1K closed back planars I should consider that Elise will drive well? Thoughts / suggestions welcomed!

Jan 2, 2021 at 3:40 AM Post #27,097 of 41,009
20210102_093149_HDR.jpg20210102_093215_HDR.jpg20210102_093553.jpg20210102_093207_HDR.jpg20210102_093633_HDR.jpg20210102_093235_HDR.jpg20210102_093248_HDR.jpg

Jan 2, 2021 at 6:06 AM Post #27,098 of 41,009
Got a decent upgrade on my rig, with a Xing AF200 DDC with Accusilicon AS318-B crystal oscillator (powerd by a iFi iPower 5V) for USB to AES connection to my RME ADI-2 Pro FS R Black Edition DAC, very good improvments on sound quality.

_DSC0552.png

Jan 2, 2021 at 8:37 AM Post #27,099 of 41,009
are u running your node 2i thru the gungnir? and r you playing tidal? tidal is my main source that i play from my node 2i , mostly MQA , just wondering if i would miss the MQA by running the node 2i thru a good dac that doesnt support MQA
I use the Node 2i coax into Gungnir, and stream Quboz HiRez and could not be happier. I just recently got the Node 2i, which replaced a Schiit Eitr, and the upgrade was very noticeable. The background got blacker, dynamics increased, and tone got more realistic, and the timbre and seperation got better as well. I have had subscriptions to both Tidal and Quboz, and always thought Quboz sounded better, with the music I listen to.

Jan 2, 2021 at 9:24 AM Post #27,101 of 41,009
Appreciate the positive input, @Holgi32, @Preachy1 and @Pharmaboy. I use Elise with ZMF Auteur, LOVE IT but am tempted to complement with a closed can and a planar to complement the Auteur open, biocellulose dynamic. I previously owned ZMF Ori which was a great, fun closed back planar but colored the sound (albeit quite well) more than I wanted, and from what i read Audeze LCD-2 leans north of neutral as well. I'm not prepared to shell out for what I think might be my endgame (ZMF Verite Closed) at this point, although might do so ultimately. In the meantime, wondering about the new DCA Aeon 2 Noire (but 12.5Ω , is that really a match with Elise?) or any other sub - $1K closed back planars I should consider that Elise will drive well? Thoughts / suggestions welcomed!
If you can find a gently used pair of Blackwoods or a Vibro (I have and love both), I'd suggest it would be a worthy experiment. There's a pair of Blackwoods up on eBay right now:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ZMF-Blackw...265431?hash=item2653895157:g:tE4AAOSwbHpf4h1L

Jan 2, 2021 at 9:37 AM Post #27,102 of 41,009
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back