Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Dec 2, 2020 at 5:06 PM Post #26,896 of 40,712
The 6000-cdt retrieves immense detail from my CDs. It also operates silently and reads all CDs - no pausing or skipping. I feel that the absence of a CD tray (another potential source of vibration) is sonically beneficial.
I love the slot mechanism. My Audiolab is one of the most musical pieces of gear I have and it has a USB DAC. Great value and amazing sound quality.

Dec 2, 2020 at 5:09 PM Post #26,897 of 40,712
Isn't the drawer mechanism more beneficial for the longevity of CDs?
Or is it yet another myth?

Dec 2, 2020 at 6:24 PM Post #26,898 of 40,712
Audiolab CD players rule!

The 6000-cdt retrieves immense detail from my CDs. It also operates silently and reads all CDs - no pausing or skipping. I feel that the absence of a CD tray (another potential source of vibration) is sonically beneficial.

@jonathan c congrats on great setup :)

Don't want to derail discussion by posting off topic, but I wonder what other CD transports have you been guys comparing 6000CDT to. I am asking since I've almost pulled a trigger on it recently but finally went with different manufacturer. Especially I am interested in transports with tray loading mechanism.

Dec 3, 2020 at 3:06 AM Post #26,899 of 40,712
I just replaced an ailing Meridian 506.24 (used as a transport into the MF Tri-Vista 24 DAC) with a Pro-Ject CD Box RS2 T in the „Big Rig“. The difference was astounding. I wasn’t expecting anything like this magnitude of improvement from a Red Book transport.

Dec 3, 2020 at 4:51 PM Post #26,900 of 40,712
@jonathan c congrats on great setup :)

Don't want to derail discussion by posting off topic, but I wonder what other CD transports have you been guys comparing 6000CDT to. I am asking since I've almost pulled a trigger on it recently but finally went with different manufacturer. Especially I am interested in transports with tray loading mechanism.
I can't remember but for me it's not about comparing it to anything specifically. It's just that I get wow moments every time I put a disc in. It's incredible. By the way I'm referring to the 8300CD not the 6000. If you buy a new one you should get the 8300, it is an upgrade on the 6000.

I think maybe one of the reasons it sounds so amazing is they really seem to have spent a lot of engineering and some money on the power supply.

Dec 3, 2020 at 6:18 PM Post #26,901 of 40,712
Isn't the drawer mechanism more beneficial for the longevity of CDs?
Or is it yet another myth?
I don't know but I really dislike trays. It would seem impossible to get the alignment the same every time and it is weak when extended and just something else to break.

I've run tens of thousands of CDs through car disc players with slot loaders and never had a failure. CDs are pretty tough. Heat, cold, as long as you don't melt them on the dashboard they seem indestructible.

Dec 4, 2020 at 1:15 AM Post #26,902 of 40,712
I just replaced an ailing Meridian 506.24 (used as a transport into the MF Tri-Vista 24 DAC) with a Pro-Ject CD Box RS2 T in the „Big Rig“. The difference was astounding. I wasn’t expecting anything like this magnitude of improvement from a Red Book transport.
Hmmm...I’m interested. A redbook transport with AES out!

Dec 4, 2020 at 2:42 AM Post #26,903 of 40,712
Don't know if I have posted this one yet. She is about to get away from the Mac Mini and HP All in One soon via ethernet for better isolation from noise; right now all sensitive audio equipment is not sharing ground with any noisy computer equipment. Even still, I am going to move her all away from the PC house audio visual 'Control Center' over into a nice alcove all by itself with a new recliner, nice view of the East Tennessee mountains, and even further isolated from the PC rat's nest haha. I am thinking going with one of the Sonore Ethernet streamers to work with Roon... any experience with them? Anyway, here is a nice angle of her current state. For the record, I think the Hifiman HE-560 turned into one of the very best values in headphone history when the price dropped. I mean, when I paid $500 for my set I thought THAT was a killer value. But, I am also goin going to move up in the line. I like the basic Hifiman sound sig, so I will probably head up to at least Ananda which is going for a great price right now. Arya is the goal I think though. Or if all the Pfizer stock I bought a week ago explodes maybe HE1000 hehehe... that would be a sweet little suprise :)

IMG_0006.JPG

Dec 4, 2020 at 6:53 PM Post #26,905 of 40,712

So happy with my new pro iDSD. And the Arya's fits in very nicely....

That's a very nice and clean simple setup! Wish my desktop looked as good.

Dec 4, 2020 at 7:07 PM Post #26,906 of 40,712
IMG_8145.JPG
So happy with my new pro iDSD. And the Arya's fits in very nicely....

doesn't it sound amazing????? And the other beautiful thing is it just WORKS. At least in my experience it is bugless. No crazy pops or clicks or sputters switching formats, seamless switching the new custom FPGA filters or DSD upconversion. Once you actually kind of figure out on Roon or Tidal how to setup MQA properly, same thing.. Its a breeze. Just perfect. Oh, and did I mention it sounds great? I pitted it for two months against what I still think is one of the best sounding DACs under 5k, the RME ADI-2 DAC fs. Yes the iFi costs much more, but it gave up nothing in actual subjective enjoyment to the the RME; no, it exceeded it by an unexpected margin. Both DACs are extremely unique and featured; just in different ways. I love the custom iFi filters over the stock AKM filters in the RME, and the DSD upconversion especially of DSD64 files is incredible. I have only started fooling around with HQPlayer, but so far I am not sure as amazing as Miska's software is, that it is needed when the iDSD Pro does it SO well.

Dec 4, 2020 at 7:16 PM Post #26,907 of 40,712
That's a very nice and clean simple setup! Wish my desktop looked as good.
Thanks, but I don't show you my more messy corners though:)
doesn't it sound amazing????? And the other beautiful thing is it just WORKS. At least in my experience it is bugless. No crazy pops or clicks or sputters switching formats, seamless switching the new custom FPGA filters or DSD upconversion. Once you actually kind of figure out on Roon or Tidal how to setup MQA properly, same thing.. Its a breeze. Just perfect. Oh, and did I mention it sounds great? I pitted it for two months against what I still think is one of the best sounding DACs under 5k, the RME ADI-2 DAC fs. Yes the iFi costs much more, but it gave up nothing in actual subjective enjoyment to the the RME; no, it exceeded it by an unexpected margin. Both DACs are extremely unique and featured; just in different ways. I love the custom iFi filters over the stock AKM filters in the RME, and the DSD upconversion especially of DSD64 files is incredible. I have only started fooling around with HQPlayer, but so far I am not sure as amazing as Miska's software is, that it is needed when the iDSD Pro does it SO well.
I couldn't have written it more clearly (partly because I haven't the vocabulary), but I really enjoy the SQ. I really was hesitating to spend that kind of money, but now after a month, I don't look back. Still enjoy the micro BL, but the pro iDSD is a different thing. Before writing this, I was about calling it a day, but then I got to play the new Melody Gardot and I got stock. Fortunately it is Friday....

Dec 7, 2020 at 3:41 PM Post #26,908 of 40,712
New stallion in the h/p stable...warming up for the “hard bop”/ R&B steeplechase...FD1668C6-22E8-4722-A371-6D859FB76B60.jpeg

Dec 7, 2020 at 3:53 PM Post #26,909 of 40,712
New stallion in the h/p stable...warming up for the “hard bop”/ R&B steeplechase...FD1668C6-22E8-4722-A371-6D859FB76B60.jpeg
...Stallion is BHC...jockey is HD600 mod...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back