Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Nov 27, 2020 at 12:49 PM Post #26,851 of 40,712
Nov 27, 2020 at 1:11 PM Post #26,852 of 40,712
Much like the rest of our house, the lounge is in a state of development. But, it's been such a miserable year, my wife and I decided that we're going to enjoy the festive season for as long as we can this year!

IMG_20201127_180402.jpg

Nov 27, 2020 at 1:25 PM Post #26,853 of 40,712
Much like the rest of our house, the lounge is in a state of development. But, it's been such a miserable year, my wife and I decided that we're going to enjoy the festive season for as long as we can this year!

IMG_20201127_180402.jpg

Kudos for your angled-down flatscreen.

Many people put TVs over the fireplace for aesthetic reasons, end up craning/straining their necks, fending off intense reflections, and dealing with LCDs' known inability to display quality picture off-axis (horizontal or vertical).

Nov 27, 2020 at 1:41 PM Post #26,855 of 40,712
@Pharmaboy All the furniture used to be in the same setup, but oriented 90 degrees clockwise, with the TV on a stand in front of the window. By the nature of our Victorian terrace, it meant when we were relaxing on the sofa we always had the front door in our view, which always detracted from the sense of "home" so we decided to make the change. I know what you mean. I chose the wall mount mainly because it had the tilt function! It had to satisfy the mix of both aesthetics and usability.

Nov 27, 2020 at 1:54 PM Post #26,856 of 40,712
@waveSounds, your post demonstrates the subtle environmental factors that can add to or subtract from the experience of one's space. That setup does look quite comfortable & pleasing, especially w/light control on the windows as needed.

I have the good fortune (maybe the curse) of dropping my big OLED flatscreen into a near-ideal space--on top of a low built-in cabinet array flanked by twin cabinet/bookshelf built-ins (all my woodworking, now painted). The room is quite large w/a vaulted ceiling. Only flaw is the flatscreen faces a large/wide window array at the front of the house. Normally that would mean reflections, but I only watch TV in that room at night so it doesn't matter.

It only took me decades to build all that stuff (big built-ins on all 4 walls). But now I get to indulge my longstanding passion for the best possible video picture (a 77" LG OLED, which rocks my world):

P1010077.JPG

Nov 27, 2020 at 1:57 PM Post #26,857 of 40,712
@waveSounds, your post demonstrates the subtle environmental factors that can add to or subtract from the experience of one's space. That setup does look quite comfortable & pleasing, especially w/light control on the windows as needed.

I have the good fortune (maybe the curse) of dropping my big OLED flatscreen into a near-ideal space--on top of a low built-in cabinet array flanked by twin cabinet/bookshelf built-ins (all my woodworking, now painted). The room is quite large w/a vaulted ceiling. Only flaw is the flatscreen faces a large/wide window array at the front of the house. Normally that would mean reflections, but I only watch TV in that room at night so it doesn't matter.

It only took me decades to build all that stuff (big built-ins on all 4 walls). But now I get to indulge my longstanding passion for the best possible video picture (a 77" LG OLED, which rocks my world):

P1010077.JPG
EwDD.gif

Nov 27, 2020 at 2:07 PM Post #26,858 of 40,712
@Pharmaboy I've found that ordering a house to your liking, even one as small as ours, can take a lot of time. We're mainly doing ours up now in preparation for selling so we can move to the country-side, but the four+ years we've been here has been slow when it comes to development. Hell, we still have a red wall and paint swatch patches!

You've evidently cultivated a space that works for you, and it looks gorgeous. My folks have a 65" OLED and there's literally no comparison to any other tech for pure visuals. That infinite contrast ratio really is another level for immersion and realism. Hopefully I can steer the cinema room in our next pad to something more akin to yours!

Venturing a guess here, but are those speakers the Swans M300? They've been on my Amazon shortlist for a long time.

Nov 27, 2020 at 2:36 PM Post #26,860 of 40,712
@Pharmaboy I've found that ordering a house to your liking, even one as small as ours, can take a lot of time. We're mainly doing ours up now in preparation for selling so we can move to the country-side, but the four+ years we've been here has been slow when it comes to development. Hell, we still have a red wall and paint swatch patches!

You've evidently cultivated a space that works for you, and it looks gorgeous. My folks have a 65" OLED and there's literally no comparison to any other tech for pure visuals. That infinite contrast ratio really is another level for immersion and realism. Hopefully I can steer the cinema room in our next pad to something more akin to yours!

Venturing a guess here, but are those speakers the Swans M300? They've been on my Amazon shortlist for a long time.

"we still have a red wall and paint swatch patches!" (oh, the horror of a transitional domicile!)

Thanks for your comments. FYI, one's cinema room needn't be large or fancy. If you get comfortable furnishings, controllable light & an ideal distance to screen (higher % of your view the screen takes up, the better)--it's great. W/the advent of 4K, where even 1K or standard-def content is upscaled to 4K (& native 4K is really stunning), you actually can sit somewhat closer to the screen than before because the pixels are small. My low leather sofa is ~10-11 ft from the screen, which seems perfect.

Funny thing about OLED vs LCD: OLED's calling card is better, more detailed black level (a different way of expressing high contrast). But top-level LCDs sport eye-popping absolute brightness, ~4-5X that of any OLED. I find in dimly lit evening viewing, I'd much rather have the OLED"s excellent black level, adding depth & richness to scenes, helping propel the narrative visually (and FWIW, the brightness of top OLEDs is pretty amazing, too). But if I had that LCD uber-brightness instead, I'd just have to turn it down to OLED levels to avoid retinal sunburn (picture vampire in direct sunlight...not pretty).

You have a good eye. Those speakers are Swans, but not the 300. They're the Swan M200 MKIII, a very nice-sounding powered design I used to have on my desktop. Now I hold them as spares for the powered monitors I gave my twin brother (if one or both of those fail, drop in the Swans).

Nov 27, 2020 at 4:56 PM Post #26,862 of 40,712
Why buy an OLED screen to just enjoy the film sounds through your headphones? Image is not so important, is over-valorated :wink:

For me, high quality video display always paralleled high quality audio reproduction. They don't clash or compete.

Believe it or not, I never listened to TV audio on any headphone.

FWIW, I don't have a big sound system w/this TV. The built-in sound is shockingly good, plus I have a small soundbar very cleverly designed to enhance dialogue. That's plenty for me...

Nov 28, 2020 at 11:16 AM Post #26,863 of 40,712

P1010077.JPG

Awesome looking and great craftsmanship.

Nov 28, 2020 at 3:49 PM Post #26,865 of 40,712
Just set up my new audio listening area after receiving new gear over the last couple of days - Matrix Audio mini-i Pro 3 to the Feliks Echo and my ZMF Vérité Open LTD in Camphor Burl. Still waiting for final Roon certification on the mini-i Pro 3, so I'm using my MacBook Pro to feed the mini-i Pro 3 in the meantime.

Audio Setup.jpg
Nice:) Seems though that the thing on the far right is having a wireless connection... may blow a fuse:beerchug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back