Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
May 26, 2020 at 5:09 PM Post #25,561 of 41,028
Trying out the Magni Heresy to see what a $100 amp gets you nowadays.

While awaiting my new desktop setup, I purchased the Schiit Modi/Heresy stack for that same reason. To test out equipment and hold me over until more permanent setup I'd ordered arrived. And turning them on for the first time without any expectation, I was blown away by how good the combo sounded. This shows you don't need a multi thousand dollar system to enjoy a quality sound. I've wasted substantial amount of money over the years on a lot of so called high-end gear, and not so sure I want to continue that route anymore, other than continue to purchase quality HPs. Difference between well-made gears (AMP/DAC), regardless of price, is more subtle than one would expect, or more preferential. And I'll admit, self justification of 'expensive must sound better' usually played a bigger role in my purchasing decisions. It's time I stopped chasing after a ghost.

Cheers and enjoy the music!

May 26, 2020 at 5:30 PM Post #25,562 of 41,028
While awaiting my new desktop setup, I purchased the Schiit Modi/Heresy stack for that same reason. To test out equipment and hold me over until more permanent setup I'd ordered arrived. And turning them on for the first time without any expectation, I was blown away by how good the combo sounded. This shows you don't need a multi thousand dollar system to enjoy a quality sound. I've wasted substantial amount of money over the years on a lot of so called high-end gear, and not so sure I want to continue that route anymore, other than continue to purchase quality HPs. Difference between well-made gears (AMP/DAC), regardless of price, is more subtle than one would expect, or more preferential. And I'll admit, self justification of 'expensive must sound better' usually played a bigger role in my purchasing decisions. It's time I stopped chasing after a ghost.

Honestly I am very impressed with the Heresy right now, much better than the older Magni 3, I may like it more than the Asgard 3 as it has a similar overall sound signature, but cleaner and smoother but I have to listen further to see what I think in terms of detail, imaging, etc, I found the Asgard 3 had a slight coarseness to it which prevented it from sounding as good as I wanted it to, the Heresy doesn't have that coarseness at all. It drives the T1.2 without issue but would like a little more power, curious if they will make a Heresy version of the Asgard 3 or Jot in the future with more power. This is both connected to the Bifrost 2. All the newer Schiit gear I tried has much more pleasant treble than their older stuff. Expensive doesn't always sound better.

Last edited:
May 26, 2020 at 5:53 PM Post #25,563 of 41,028
My kitchen is my living room at the moment and i like AKG K340

IMG_20200526_235149.jpg

May 27, 2020 at 8:00 AM Post #25,564 of 41,028

You just said what I've been thinking for a lot of years! Yeah, I've sunk some serious $$$ into this hobby, with a few regrets. I like what I have and will likely hold on to the gear for some time, but as you suggested above, I'm pretty much done, with the exception of perhaps adding a new set of cans or two over the next year.

Everything I have right now works perfectly and pleases my ears and eyes.

May 27, 2020 at 8:06 AM Post #25,565 of 41,028
Home-Office: iPhone 11 Pro, iSine20 mit Cipher V2! :L3000:

IMG_0162.jpeg

May 27, 2020 at 8:10 AM Post #25,566 of 41,028
Ultra-portable, I use this combo when working around the yard, mowing the lawn and such.

Attachments

• 268ED788-E319-4C41-9926-286367E2ACC0.jpeg
    268ED788-E319-4C41-9926-286367E2ACC0.jpeg
    28.2 KB · Views: 0
May 27, 2020 at 3:34 PM Post #25,567 of 41,028
How do you cope with the incorrect replay speed of Redbook files? Have you Rockboxed it?

May 27, 2020 at 3:39 PM Post #25,568 of 41,028
I have a love/hate relationship with Xduoo. I am extremely impressed (well, floored actually) by the SQ achievable with the X-10Tii, but I am dismayed in equal measure by the total lack of aftersales support for X3 customers. The firmware is useless, and they did nothing about it! Mine is sitting in a drawer (has been since 5 minutes after I bought it). I have pretty good pitch.

May 27, 2020 at 4:35 PM Post #25,569 of 41,028
How do you cope with the incorrect replay speed of Redbook files? Have you Rockboxed it?
Yes, I did that as soon as I got it a few years ago. I was not even aware that there was a speed issue.

May 27, 2020 at 4:38 PM Post #25,570 of 41,028
I also use the TA-10 (amp section, fed from the DAC section of a Tube Magic Amp/DAC), and the XT10-II. I don't notice any issues with pitch.

May 28, 2020 at 5:52 AM Post #25,571 of 41,028
The X-10T has no pitch issues, as it uses different firmware. The original X3 reproduces Redbook files as if they were recorded at 48kHz (or so I read in another forum...).

May 28, 2020 at 11:54 AM Post #25,574 of 41,028
I had a pair of those that my dad bought is the early 80s, but sold on CAM. They were an interesting electrostatic listen most definitely.

3 of them are very unused in excellent condition and for me they made me loose my hifi madness with cables, dacs , EQ ing and whatever.. They just sound perfect and music sounds amazing on them.

They are electrets and not real electrostats and one has some really sick bass too since there are different versions of the dynamic driver...Got some Kaldas RR1 to with stax amp and whatever but those are my to go kitchen headphones :wink:

I am glad that i live where most k340 come from and you get tons of excellent ones on ebeh and other marketplaces in germany and austria.

Soooo i am hooked on them now :wink: and no mods are done yet on any

Last edited:
May 28, 2020 at 12:11 PM Post #25,575 of 41,028
Not the best pic, but this is my current WFH setup.
IMG_1242.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back